Thread: My Atari Flashback 3 Review

Blog Entries

Default My Atari Flashback 3 Review

So after my recent post of showing the FB3 on offer for 29.99 from Choicesuk, my unit arrived today in the post.

The system is nicely packaged and it came with the limited edition Atari poster which is impressive and feels of high quality paper which suprised me.

The joysticks are 2600 clones, almost. These seem to be not as stiff as the originals which i think makes it better and they feel just as durable as the oldies. The cables are a decent length too so you dont have to sit close to the tv.

The power adapter is very small, similar size to a mobile phone charger but the cable isnt that long which comes to my next niggle, the video cable. The video cable to your tv is wired into the console just like the original woodie which in todays market isnt good incase it breaks etc. Also the sound is mono so only one audio connection to the tv means only one side of your tv will pump out sound. To get round this ive ordered a rca splitter and hopefully this will give sound on both speakers to give a better experience. Shame they just didnt put av sockets on the console incase people need to have the unit further away from the tv etc.

As for the console itself its a good size. Shame they never put the SD card slot in for roms etc as this would have made it more brilliant. The buttons feel of good quality and it is a sturdy unit so it should last a long time. I cant understand why the controller ports are upside down too but once the joysticks are plugged in it can take a bit of effort to pull them out so this has cured the problem i used to have with the 2600 jr. The connectors would come loose a lot during a game.

The system itself has a good and simple menu interface and features some good 2600 classics, my favourite too being Centipede. The performance of the games are good as a 2600 and i cant notice any difference from the originals on the video side but the audio seems slightly different but not off putting so im pleased.

Overall i gave this system 8/10. It would have been a full 10 if it didnt have the hardware connection issues a mentioned above. Why they couldnt have come out with this product as the flashback 1 is beyond me but i guess they have learned their lessons not to rush a product.

If a flashback 4 is on the way i hope it does have a memory card slot and cart slot. Id happily pay 50 to have them features so come on Atari and make it!

Sounds good, thanks for the review. I'd really like one of these flashback systems to have high score saving - that'd probably push me over the edge to buy one.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Blog Entries

If you only buy one Flashback, buy the Flashback 2.
    Last edited by miner2049er; 12-02-12 at 07:44.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

What are the differences between the FB2 & FB3?

Brumisator Guest

FB1 used an NES on a chip, which was just plain wrong.
    FB2 uses a 2600 on a chip, so the games are exaqctly like they should be, exactly like playing on a real atari VCS.
    The FB3 is and ARM chip, I think, and it runs an atari emulator.

...Or it may all be lies, this is what RGR told me.

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    If you only buy one Flashback, buy the Flashback 2.
    What are the differences between the Flashback2 and the Flashback2+, other than a few game changes? Can the 2+ still have the cartridge slot mod done to it?

Blog Entries

They keep messing about with the hardware lol It a shame they didnt get it right first time.

Its about time Nintendo make some type of all in one console with their Nes classics. Id pay around 40 for a device with 10-15 top Nes games on it.

Picked up a new flashback 3 from walmart to hook up for the sale I'm having at work. The customer picks a game, and a worker to play against. They get a free weeks rent if they beat the worker.

EDIT: Well damn, the thing dont work. Hooked it up to 3 different TVs before I noticed the red light on the power supply wasnt lighting up. Taking it back tomorrow to try and switch it for a different one. Grr.....

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Leathco; 19-05-12 at 05:04.

Well this is pissing me off. I swapped out my nonworking flashback 3, and tried out the replacement. New one works, but the player 1 port has one of the pins crosswired so that the menus continually flip through. Gotta go back AGAIN and try to get a different unit. If the third one doesn't work I'm just gonna get my cash back.

FINALLY the third unit I picked up actually worked right. System seems to work OK for the most part, and I can confirm original Atari controllers work with it as well. Just disappointed in the fact that it took 3 to get a working system. Doesn't say much for the build quality.