Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: It Came From Mame

Default Chicken Shift by Sente

Hey SoCal, I don't think you covered this one before but what about "Chicken Shift" by Sente? I never saw this one back in the day but I stumbled on it one day on my MAME cab. Very fun and has that "just one more game" vibe!

Chicken shift was covered on the show on episode 54 and I remember SoCal speaking highly of it, so you've got that going for you which is nice. I found a cool game that I think you might enjoy called Cotton. It was released by Sega in 1991 and is an interesting side scrolling shmup. Gameplay is similar to r-type but has more of an anime/cartoony feel to it. The difficulty level is pretty high, but is fun nonetheless.

cross_bearer_02 Guest

Hey SoCal,

Haven't really posted in the forums a lot as I've been busy catching up on all the shows for the past several months. I'm on the most recent show now, so I figured it was time to come on and join in on all this fun.

So, I've got a game for you. It's fairly hard to come by around these parts as it was only released in Japan, at least in arcades. It did get a Genesis/Mega Drive port that got localized everywhere else, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I knew an arcade version exists.

Marvel Land from Namco in 1989. The game always struck me as a bit strange, and just a little bit saccharine in its presentation (actually maybe a lot). If you haven't played this one, either arcade or console, the whole game takes place in the titular Marvel Land, a colorfully-adorned amusement park. The game is a platformer in which you guide your character, Prince Paco (in the European Mega Drive localization, Prince Talmit), as you navigate through the game's various stages and enemies on a quest to save Princess Luxy from the evil Mole King. To help you out, there are various powerups that you can pick up, including a set of dragon wings to help you jump higher, shoes to let you run fast, and a unique ability that lets you clone yourself and use your set of clones as a sort of spinning chain whip to kill enemies and pick up items.

Overall, the game reminds me a bit of the Super Mario titles from the time. Most enemies can be defeated by hopping on top of them or by using your clone attack, and a boss awaits at the end of each of the game's four levels that changes the game mechanic entirely into something like a minigame.

Among the more gimmicky things you'll find in this game are roller coaster levels, in which you have to jump around obstacles while riding on top of roller coaster cars through auto-scrolling levels. The roller coasters, and many of the other rides featured in the game, are adorned with various Namco mascots, including Pookas from Dig Dug, the Solvalou from Xevious, Mappy, and yes, Pac-Man himself (As a side note, being a Namco game, there are no Space Invader dudes to be found in "Marvel Land").

I found the arcade version is quite difficult on its default settings, and very stingy with the time clock. Reaching the end of a level often leaves mere seconds left on the clock, even if you're racing straight through. The home console port is much easier by comparison, but doesn't have quite the same shine that the arcade version has. The arcade version's definitely worth a play if you've never tried it before!
    Last edited by cross_bearer_02; 24-01-14 at 02:34.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RUP View Post
    Hey SoCal, I don't think you covered this one before but what about "Chicken Shift" by Sente? I never saw this one back in the day but I stumbled on it one day on my MAME cab. Very fun and has that "just one more game" vibe!
    Yes, as Sleepy mentioned, yes, I've covered Chicken Shift. I really like that game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cross_bearer_02 View Post
    Hey SoCal,

Haven't really posted in the forums a lot as I've been busy catching up on all the shows for the past several months. I'm on the most recent show now, so I figured it was time to come on and join in on all this fun.

So, I've got a game for you. It's fairly hard to come by around these parts as it was only released in Japan, at least in arcades. It did get a Genesis/Mega Drive port that got localized everywhere else, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I knew an arcade version exists.

Marvel Land from Namco in 1989. The game always struck me as a bit strange, and just a little bit saccharine in its presentation (actually maybe a lot). If you haven't played this one, either arcade or console, the whole game takes place in the titular Marvel Land, a colorfully-adorned amusement park. The game is a platformer in which you guide your character, Prince Paco (in the European Mega Drive localization, Prince Talmit), as you navigate through the game's various stages and enemies on a quest to save Princess Luxy from the evil Mole King. To help you out, there are various powerups that you can pick up, including a set of dragon wings to help you jump higher, shoes to let you run fast, and a unique ability that lets you clone yourself and use your set of clones as a sort of spinning chain whip to kill enemies and pick up items.

Overall, the game reminds me a bit of the Super Mario titles from the time. Most enemies can be defeated by hopping on top of them or by using your clone attack, and a boss awaits at the end of each of the game's four levels that changes the game mechanic entirely into something like a minigame.

Among the more gimmicky things you'll find in this game are roller coaster levels, in which you have to jump around obstacles while riding on top of roller coaster cars through auto-scrolling levels. The roller coasters, and many of the other rides featured in the game, are adorned with various Namco mascots, including Pookas from Dig Dug, the Solvalou from Xevious, Mappy, and yes, Pac-Man himself (As a side note, being a Namco game, there are no Space Invader dudes to be found in "Marvel Land").

I found the arcade version is quite difficult on its default settings, and very stingy with the time clock. Reaching the end of a level often leaves mere seconds left on the clock, even if you're racing straight through. The home console port is much easier by comparison, but doesn't have quite the same shine that the arcade version has. The arcade version's definitely worth a play if you've never tried it before!
    Great suggestion. If I have it in my MAME cab I will run it in this month's show. Thanks for posting and hope you stick around the forums

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    Yes, as Sleepy mentioned, yes, I've covered Chicken Shift. I really like that game
    Oops Sorry guys! I don't know how I missed that...I'm sure I listened to that episode too!

It came from Mame, submission:
    There are so many games that are only Japan releases etc.
    I submit the game Rompers.
    This game is very simple maze type game.
    Nice cut screens are throughout the game to keep you entertained.
    The levels grow increasingly difficult as time goes on.
    The levels though simple are mentally challenging
    Each level is set up in a way that keys become traps and make the last key difficult to achieve.
    The game has a story line where you're girl is taken by a vampire like character and you must save her.
    The main character looks like a farm boy hat and overalls.
    You must walk over all the keys in the maze to complete the level. Your only defense is pushing over walls that regenerate. The enemies change with each level some are armadillos that roll, spiders that leave webs that trap you, dragons with fire and creatures that freeze you just to mention a few. The sound is enjoyable and all levels are time based. When the time runs out the vampire floats in to kill you not unlike Evil Otto from Bezerk. Once he shows up you must get to the last key or your dead.
    So respectively submitted for your enjoyment Rompers released by Namco in 1989.
    This game is fun and I have been playing for a long time and have never finished the quest.
    Try it you might just like it.
    I did a quick search and found out this has been released on virtual console but I have only played this VIA MAME.

Rompers_title_screen.jpgRompers_intro.jpgRompers_gameplay.jpg
    Last edited by Spin; 24-01-14 at 08:24.

focusrs Guest

I saw a interesting arcade game in the Barcade in Jersey City NJ this week. it was called Lasso by SNK. very interesting gameplay, you play a sheep farmer and you try to protect your sheep from wolves with your gun while at the same time you try to Lasso the sheep for points. Give it a try Socal!

Arcadecrazy Guest

Try out exertion a Jaleco game from 1993 tuff to get used to the controls but very fun once you get the hang of it
    Also you should review twinkle star sprites by ADK for Neogeo Mvs just an amazing two player shooter battle game and very uncommon

Just found a really cool horizontal shmup called Cosmic Cop. Give ot a try, it's a fun one.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast