Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamecube Love (not quite retro)

Default Gamecube Love (not quite retro)

Not a "retro" console imho, but what the heck... My 4- and 6-year old niece and nephew are visiting, and after playing a bunch of Super Mario Word, the 4-year old wanted to play a game with Luigi, so I pulled out Luigi's Mansion for the Gamecube. What a great game. Clever puzzles, typical awesome Nintendo presentation, great visuals and sound effects. Just a unique, fun game that I hadn't even though about in a long time.

When I bought my GC I wasn't thrilled about ordering the "bundle" w/ with Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Rogue Leader. It seemed like a bit of overkill. But I played the heck out of all three and in the end I'm glad I got them all. Rogue Leader was an obvious winner, but I remember being a little surprised how sucked in I got w/ Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race.

Tonight I noticed the 2001 copyright on Luigi's Mansion, too. Geez, has it been ten years already?!??! Seems like just yesterday I was deciding which of those games to fire up first.

Anyways, I hadn't looked through my GC collection in quite a while, but there are tons of really good games - and good memories - in there. Underrated console, imho. There was a lot more 3rd party support than people give it credit for, especially earlier on in its life. And Nintendo was still competing more directly for the traditional gamer market so you had more of that type of game from them.

My GC Favs:
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Metroid Prime
    Luigi's Mansion
    Rogue Leader
    RE Zero, RE 1 Remake, RE 4
    Super Monkey Ball
    Animal Crossing
    Eternal Darkness
    Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Blog Entries

Mario Party is a favorite of mine on that system.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Luigi's Mansion is one of my all-time favorites. It's hard to believe it has almost been 10 years since I first played it, but every time I do play it I am instantly "sucked" back to the early 2000's (har har). If they do a 3DS version, which they've hinted at, I'll be so happy. I just loved the idea of a quasi-Ghostbusters mechanic being used by a Mario character in a big gaudy haunted mansion. Something about it reminded me of some of the old point and click adventures. What a beautiful game.

I remember hearing about this game called "Animal Forest Plus" and how events in the game coincided with the internal clock of the system. I remember reading about multiple family members being able to get a house in the town and send messages to each other. The idea of this charming little innocent town was so appealing and I pined away for Animal Crossing for what seemed like an eternity. When I finally got it, the game lived up to the hype. My wife and I played it pretty obsessively for several months. Nowadays, the Animal Crossing world has gotten smaller and the magic is somewhat gone thanks to the lack of vision Nintendo has had for that series. Here's to hoping that with the 3DS version, Animal Crossing will get its groove back.

I remember being excited for Super Mario Sunshine and then being let down.

I remember pining away for Crazy Taxi because i never had a Dreamcast and then playing the Gamecube version to death.

I remember the absolute disappointment of Starfox Adventure (was that the name? Who the hell had the idea to do Star Fox like that??)

Mario Kart Double Dash was all I hoped it would be, even with the goofy tag team aspect of it.

I missed the boat with Pikmin 1, but was captivated by Pikmin 2. My captivation ended after amassing tons of Pikmin, digging down several levels deep into the ground, and then losing them all in a boss battle halfway into the game and realizing that I now had 0 pikmin and had to start the whole level over again. Never have picked the game back up. Great game though, but I don't have all day to play it.

I remember being so annoyed at some of the 2 disc games. Nothing was worse than having to get up off the couch to switch discs because the golf course I wanted to play in Tiger Woods was on disc 2.

Mario Golf remains one of the best arcade golf games I've ever played. And I don't even like golf.

EA's MVP 2005 was probably the 2nd best baseball game of the last 10 years (the best being MLB Power Pros on the Wii). 2K Games and MLB The Show have been horrific in comparison.

I actually really enjoyed the art style of The Wind Waker....it was the long amounts of time spent sailing that ultimately sapped me of the will to continue.

Super Monkey Ball was great on the Gamecube simply for Monkey Target!

The Resident Evil 1 remake was jaw-dropping. You just had to have that game.
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

Blog Entries

Ah, the Gamecube. Amazing how it still basically lives on today. I played a little bit of Mario Sunshine on it, though not quite enough to make an opinion one way or the other. I tried to play Mortal Kombat on it, that didn't go over so well.

I DO want to get Paper Mario for it however. Off the top of my head that's the only Gamecube game I can think of that I actually want that hasn't already been done on the PS2 or the Xbox. Oh, and Mario Golf.

If it even gets hooked up nowadays, I just use it for the Game Boy Player attachment.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

Actually now that I think about it, couldn't Nintendo sell their Gamecube games like the Mario, Zelda, etc games in sort of a bargain pack for the Wii? Get the game, a controller and a memory card in this pack for however much money. heh
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

It isn't quite retro but yes it is a great system with some killer apps on it. I started using mine again recently and the wavebird wireless controller is a must buy for it. I'm also thinking about picking up one of the LCD screens for it too so we could maybe take it in the car on a trip but I expect the quality of them is not great.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Oh man, how could I forget Pikmin? That's such a great game. The Wavebird does rock.

I wanted to pick up a GB player a couple years ago, but they're still going for about $50 used. Now I'm playing my GC games on the Wii anyways...

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Blog Entries

The gamecube is such a wonderful platform. I played mine for years, and would most likely still have one if it hadn't been sadly destroyed in a moving box, by shitty movers. I loved the controller design, and most of the games produced for it were just made of hardcore win. To name a few of my personal favs:

Bloody Roar 3
    Burnout
    Mario Golf-toadstool tour, Mario Super Strikers
    Mario Party 3
    Legend of Zelda Windwaker, and the awesome port of Ocarina of time that came with the Master Quest
    The Phantasy Star Online port, which was the only reason to take that thing online
    Super Smash Brothers
    Eternal Darkness
    Marvel Vs Capcom
    Capcom Vs Snk
    Metroid Prime ( only the first one IMO)
    Star wars: Rouge Squadron
    Star Wars Epi 1- pod racer
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
    F-Zero

The List could literally go on and on. Of Nintendo's systems, Gamecube comes in second only to the Snes. I will never be able to legitimately say that the Snes isn't my favorite nintendo platform because of the incredible RPGs written for that system. However, the Gamecube came very very close. I've tried to find a decent emulation program, but most of them are really picky, and they don't display properly. Still, if i saw one for 50 or so, i'd be really hard pressed not to pick it up. Especially if i found out someone had revived a PSO server. That game is crack. Pure, Unfiltered free basing crack meseta.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Blog Entries

I will chime in and say I loved, well love, the GameCube as well. Tons of great games as you guys have all mentioned. Still my fav on it was also Luigi's Mansion. That is one of the last games my wife and I both played to the end. I find them all the time at the swap meets, most are cheap. I really should pick one up again. I always liked the design too. Nintendo's consoles always seem to have a lot of personality compared to the others (Dreamcast not included, tons of personality on that one).

So my 4-year-old nephew insisted on playing Mario Sunshine (he loves Mario, anything with Mario is automatically his favorite). Man, the game is just as annoying and frustrating now as it was when it came out. I finished it back in the day only because I had a guide to all the shines from a magazine, but I'd never put the time in now. It's an okay platformer I guess, but nowhere near the other Mario games.

My 6-year-old niece LOVED Luigi's Mansion (she calls it Luigi's Ghosts). She wanted to sit and watch me play it all day and all night. Of course, this led to several fights between her and her brother over whether we played a Mario game or a Luigi game.

Especially if i found out someone had revived a PSO server. That game is crack. Pure, Unfiltered free basing crack meseta.
    Seconded. One of the greatest games of all times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast