Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamecube Love (not quite retro)

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire73 View Post
    So my 4-year-old nephew insisted on playing Mario Sunshine (he loves Mario, anything with Mario is automatically his favorite). Man, the game is just as annoying and frustrating now as it was when it came out.
    What did you find frustrating about it? I found it very frustrating, but I've mentioned before that I'm pretty terrible with analog controls.

I don't get all the grief that Mario Sunshine gets. Granted it's probably the worst of all the Super Mario games but that doesn't mean much with what you have to compare it with. The only criticism I read once and resonated with me is that the addition of the Water Cannon goes against the Mario Game mechanics i.e. Mario shouldn't carry weapons or tools.

Anyway to add my picks to the list:
    Battalion Wars
    Soul Calibur II
    X-Men Legends

the last 2 are not exclusives but still very good games on the GC.

Quote Originally Posted by tcv View Post
    What did you find frustrating about it? I found it very frustrating, but I've mentioned before that I'm pretty terrible with analog controls.
    The camera required continual tweaking - the design of the levels was such that it was very difficult to keep what you needed in view. Aiming your water spray was not intuitive. Granted, you get decent at it by the end, but aiming was difficult. It just didn't work the way I expected. Many of the levels were confusing - early on you have to chase the fake Mario, and keeping track of where he was and where you had to go wasn't easy. It was easy to get lost. Many of the objectives were similarly confusing throughout the game. You just had to play and play (or use a guide). One other early level has a tall tower you have to climb, and it's really easy to fall off (in no small part due to the wonky camera). Falling off doesn't kill you, but you have to go way around to get back to the tower. I remember playing it back in the day and being frustrating at falling off ledges a lot. Fighting one of the early bosses FLUDD didn't tell you how to do a butt-stomp until you spent a few minutes running around trying to figure out what you're supposed to do. It would have been nice if they explain what you need to do BEFORE you're required to do it. Little things like that are awfully annoying. Controls weren't bad, but the camera and level design were very spotty. On the plus side, the water looked stunning and there was a lot to do. Plenty of levels, and it was a good challenge. They did try to add little story elements with cut scenes, and I loved the tropical theme. The execution just wasn't there.

Finally, the whole concept didn't make any sense from the get-go. You had to save the island by rescuing Shine sprites, fair enough. But then you get them back from residents of the island? I could see rescuing them from Bowser or someone else's minions, but it bothered me that you got them from the islanders. Dumb.

it's probably the worst of all the Super Mario games but that doesn't mean much with what you have to compare it with.
    That's the thing. It's not necessarily a terrible game despite all the problems, but if the other Mario games are A's, this is a C. There are some good points - I did play through it - but it was a frustrating ride. I don't care if they gave Mario a water cannon, it's a neat twist, but the execution left a lot to be desired.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 27-02-11 at 08:22.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Resident Evil remakes and Eternal Darkness. Nuff said.

Sent from my Droid

Did anyone else get into Zelda: Four Swords? A group of co-workers and I played through it together and it was an absolute blast multiplayer. I was pretty close to beating it single player as well, but it just wasn't as fun - and since I already saw the ending I didn't have as much incentive. Quirky little game, but a lot of fun if you have the people.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

I wasn't a big fan of the GC, but I did enjoy Metroid, MGS: The Twin Snakes, and Eternal Darkness. I am with many here, as Super Mario Sunshine was a big let down. The water pump mechanic didn't fit Mario at all, and this game would have had a better reception if they had just made it Luigi's Island.

Blog Entries

My take on the mario sunshine thing is this, It adds a needless mechanic to the mario world space. That and the blubber surfing thing was stupid. I enjoyed the game, at times. However, while Mario's worlds have never been one for solid continuity, I'm ok with that. Mario Galaxy for example makes no freaking sense. Bowser contacts aliens who come help him do exactly what he wants and how he wants, and don't suck his brains out. However, because its mario, I'll let that slide due to the fact they game is pure unbridled fun. The whole paint thing just didn't work for me on any level. My favorite little red guy is a lot of things, a fireball wielding badass with superman flight and a bitchin set of doc martin stompers chief among them. However, the Caribbean Graffiti Clean Up squad he ain't.
    Not to mention, I'm a big fan of working with the three dimensional world that mario games have become synonymous for and I felt like Sunshine made them very pretty, but not very well aligned to the camera and control scheme. It wasn't the Plumbers best adventure, but its still leaps and bounds from being bad, by a long shot.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Oh crap! I just realized my post above with all the pics was meant for the N64 thread! Sorry guys!
    Become a fan of The Retro Machine on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...e/121452225655

See us on Video Masters TV @ www.videomasterstv.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Oh crap! I just realized my post above with all the pics was meant for the N64 thread! Sorry guys!
    Moved.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by JoshWright View Post
    My take on the mario sunshine thing is this, It adds a needless mechanic to the mario world space. That and the blubber surfing thing was stupid. I enjoyed the game, at times. However, while Mario's worlds have never been one for solid continuity, I'm ok with that. Mario Galaxy for example makes no freaking sense. Bowser contacts aliens who come help him do exactly what he wants and how he wants, and don't suck his brains out.
    Mario's world has never been one for consistency. No matter how many times Bowser kidnaps the Princess, she still invites him around for kart racing, tennis and party games.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast