Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Games of the Decade? - Not an actual RGR segment (yet)

Blog Entries

Talking Top 10 Games of the Decade? - Not an actual RGR segment (yet)

Whether you count from 2000 or 2001, we can all agree that the previous decade is now over. I tried to pick my top 10 games from the past decade and here is what I could come up with. You'll notice that I didn't even try to pick a #1 - its just the 10 best in any order.

Top 10 Games of the Decade
    =============================

-Spyro: Year of the Dragon
    If you didn't play this game then you missed out. The real masterpieces were the first 2 games released in the 90's, but I didn't play any of them until the 00's so I'm including the 3rd game (released in 2000) in my list.

-Madden NFL 2001
    Spent lots of time exploring the very rich franchise mode. I just couldn't put it down.

-Katamari Damacy
    So shockingly entertaining and unexpected that I still cant believe its as much fun as it is.

-X-Men Legends
    An incredible co-op experience for me and Laura on one of our favorite subject matters.

-NCAA Football 2005
    The memorable moments that the game saved for you were a nice addition. Dynasty mode kept me stuck on the couch forever.

**American football deserved 2 places on this list because the games changed so much during the decade and because I spent a ton of time with these games.

-Guitar Hero
    Still probably my favorite GH game to play. This is another one that I couldn't believe until I played it.

-God of War
    Perfect action game with a great story.

-Lego Star Wars
    The (movie) prequels sucked but this made up for it. Possibly the best co-op game(s) ever.

-Boom Blox
    Knocking down blocks is simple and makes for one of the best games of the decade IMO.

-Mass Effect
    The best video game story I've ever experienced. This is the game I wished I could play all those years.

Honorable Mention
    --FIFA Soccer 2002 <- helped teach me a lot of French
    --Guild Wars <- my dip into MMO
    --Wii Sports <- taught me to love the Wii; at least for a while

Some Others:
    Deadspace
    The Sims
    Rayman 2
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Karaoke Revolution
    James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing
    The Movies
    Dance Dance Revolution
    Catan
    Scene It? Lights, Camera, Action
    Fallout 3
    Magic the Gathering
    Plants vs. Zombies

Some Rules
    --I didn't pick sequels, just chose one game from a series or family - ex. Guitar Hero 2, 3, 4, 5 . . .

--I didn't pick games that were re-released on a different platform in this decade - ex. Dragon Warrior III for GBA

--I didn't pick games that I hadn't spent a considerable amount of time

Surprises:
    1) I didn't really name more than 10 and had to go back and look at gamerankings year over year rankings to get ideas
    2) I haven't really been able to devote time to a sports franchise mode since about 2005

Cool topic, but wow, it's tough to remember everything that's come out in the last 10 years. Off the top of my head (read: may change over the coming days as I think about it):

1. Phantasy Star Online (dc)PSO is my favorite game of all time. Perfect gameplay, perfect graphics, perfect audio, tons to do, endlessly replayable online or off. Put 100s of hours into PSO and it never got boring. All the good and addicting bits of Diablo, only with actual gameplay. Free online, and characters you could take online and off. Just awesome in every way.
    2. Morrowind (pc) - in my top 5 games of all time - no game has ever had such a great sense of exploration and "I wonder what's over that hill." Super deep and replayable, and one of the best, deepest RPGs ever made.
    3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (xbox) - best SW game in a long time. Great writing, great characters, good story, and a solid, enjoying and unique RPG. Loved the "pre-movie" setting, too.
    4. Resident Evil 4 (gc) - I'm a huge fan of the RE series, and this is one of the best. One of a small handful of games I started playing over again as soon as I finished the first time through. Great re-work of a series that, as good as it was, was getting a little stale.
    5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (wii) - the best 3D Metroid game, as it fixed all the flaws of MP1 for a much more enjoyable and polished game. Wonderful art, music and action-heavy gameplay.
    6. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (wii) - one of, if not the best Zelda's ever. Perfect dungeons and puzzles and wonderful art direction. I simply could not put it down. The pacing was perfect, the action was perfect, the puzzles were tough but fair.
    7. Katamary Damacy (ps3) - what's this? Something totally unique in the land of big budget sequels and "Hollywood Blockbuster" style drivel? Super charming and fun game.
    8. Shenmue 2 (dc) - I picked the sequel because it's a bigger and better all around game than the first. Gorgeous graphics, fun story, great fighting action, and unlockable arcade games. Worth importing for your US Dreamcast, it's a well-executed and absorbing adventure.
    9. Paper Mario (n64) - Fantastic and unique RPG with an excellent battle system and even better writing. Just a fun, funny game. 1000 Year Door was great, too, but the original was still the best.
    10. God of War (ps2) - GoW's first boss was cooler than most games' final bosses. Great action game from start to finish.

A few runners up:
    Fallout 3 (360) - another Bethesda masterpiece - great world, great gameplay, great graphics and audio. Super addicting.
    Pac Man Championship Edition (360) - the best reason to buy an Xbox 360 at the time. Great sequel to an all-time legend..
    Metropolis Street Racer (dc) - one of the best racers ever as it perfectly blended arcade action with just enough realism to make it deep. Amazing audio with fake radio stations added to the ambience. Throw in spot-on controls and excellent graphics and you have a winner.
    Animal Crossing (gc) - never had so much fun with a game that is barely even a game. I don't know why, but I had a ton of fun. Great presentation, great writing, and super addicting. DS version was great, too, but I went with the original.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire73; 02-02-11 at 11:14.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Let's see what I can think of. Call it ten notable games of the decade as I am bound to forget some.

- The Sims. As noted above. The Sims gave you a house and inhabitants to manage or mismanage however you liked. You could build a dollhouse with happy inhabitants cleaning house and paying bills while building their careers, or trap them in a room and set fire to it if you prefer. As with many great games, there was enough onscreen to trigger the more rich game played out in the player's mind.

- Animal Crossing: Wild World. I chose the DS port over the Gamecube original as it has superior gameplay. Again, the game offers a microcosm to enjoy, albeit with more guidance and less freedom than in The Sims. It's suitable for short or long gaming sessions and quickly becomes engrossing. Would score higher if you could beat Mr. Resetti to death with your shovel and/or axe-murder Gracie the obnoxious giraffe.

- Sam and Max: The series from Telltale games brought back the lost art of the comedy point and click adventure to new computers and consoles. A decent challenge and most importantly a good laugh.

- 7 Sins. Now this doesn't belong on any top list as it is actually an extremely bad game, but I am mentioning it because it is good for a laugh and because I have been drinking heavily. This is the one to indulge in all sorts of antisocial behaviour, whether it is boob-grabbing, face-slapping, pishing on the plants or vomiting on someone. Usually done through the medium of tedious minigames.

- Magic Pengel. Draw your own wee beastie and train it to fight other drawn monsters. Absolutely everyone uses it to create a poorly drawn fighting penis, especially those of us who only play Japanese RPGs because we can change the characters' names to juvenile obscenities. along those lines I will honourably mention Imagine Champion Trainer (or something close to that) on the PSP because I downloaded the demo from PSN and discovered that naming my horse "A fat cock" turned the ingame dialogue into a comedy masterpiece. Whether my character was talking about being tired from riding A fat cock all night long or being taught the right way to stroke A fat cock, it was pure gold.

- Soul Calibur 2. Simply a great fighting game that gave me personally hours of sword-wielding enjoyment.

- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Because I really enjoyed running around a neon-tinged city causing mayhem to a great 1980s soundtrack.

- Puzzle Quest. Ludicrously engaging for what it is. I played it for ages and still don't quite know why. Rather like Picross or Peggle. Digital crack.

- Space Trader. A good game that is exactly what it says on the tin. On the old Palm PDA. For free. It's since been rebadged as Dark Nova and ported to iphone and android.

- Wii Sports. Absolutely breathtaking the first time I played it. A completely new gaming experience. I don;t think that Wiimotes are generally good for much, but they are spectacular for playing this one.

Geez, how could I leave out Animal Crossing... I guess I'll add to my sure-to-continue-expanding "runners up" list.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it.

Check out my original rock/blues/folk/country at www.zeyerband.com or myspace.com/zeyerband.

Top 10 for the decade is a toughie! Some very interesting choice so far....props to Animal Crossing and Shenmue Had to google the dates of most of the games I thought of - surprising how many were pre-2000 on my first run. I've favoured games not already significantly represented in this thread where I could. Here are my picks in no particular order:

- Guitar Hero II. Polished followup to GH. This is where the GH formula was perfected. Lots of fun, easy to get into, hard to master. Turned a niche genre into a mainstream event.
    - Beyond Good and Evil. This is how you do a female lead character. Excellent game mechanics, great narrative. Unique experience. Hope the rumoured sequel happens.
    - Animal Crossing. A compelling experience. Tom Nook is shady as hell IMHO.
    - Metroid Prime. The only first person platformer that I can say actually works. Great experience on multiple levels. Why I bought a GC.
    - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The game doesnt do anything new, but what it does do, it does brilliantly! I remember being on the edge of my seat playing this...this is what the last Indy movie should have been.
    - Gears of War. This was the first game that really showed what 'Nextgen' consoles could do. Awseome graphics and brutal fun. Great multiplayer as well.
    - Deus Ex. Blurred the line between FPS and RPG. The multiple choices in choosing objectives, consequences to your actiions and multiple endings really sold the illusions of a living dytopia that responded to your choices.
    - Knights of the Old Republic. Bioware's magnum opus for the original Xbox. All their games since have evolved from this template.
    - Shenmue. I got lost in this game for months. Nothing quite like it before or since. A true masterpiece from Yu Suzuki.
    - Soul Calibur 2. Best fighting game. Ever. The sequels have improved in graphics, but nothing touches this games balance.
    Last edited by frootloop; 07-02-11 at 02:45.

Blog Entries

10. Fallout 3

9. Warhammer 40k

8. Oblivion- TES 4

6. Phantasy Star Online- Gamecube

5. Soul Calibur 2

4. The Legend of Zelda- Windwaker/Twilight Princess

3. Morrowind- TES 3

2. Might & Magic- Dark Messiah

1. Diablo 2 & Lord of Destruction

I contest anyone to argue that Diablo 2 is not possibly the most successful and most popular game of the last decade. Made in 2000, and still retailing for full price. Yeah.
    Last edited by JoshWright; 07-02-11 at 05:05.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by JoshWright View Post
    I contest anyone to argue that Diablo 2 is not possibly the most successful and most popular game of the last decade. Made in 2000, and still retailing for full price. Yeah.
    Most successful and popular? Possibly. Most influential or groundbreaking? I think not.

World of Warcraft - End thread!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frootloop View Post
    Most successful and popular? Possibly. Most influential or groundbreaking? I think not.
    I disagree. The game founded multiplayer host spaces. Battlenet shipped with diablo 2, and with its client server model, the game ceased to be hosted on your computer, and instead was hosted in a remote location. Games like TF 2, Halflife deathmatch, and counterstrike would later all use the near exact same model. It also pioneered the use of trainers, which are now common place add on software. I would like to see what you consider influential or groundbreaking, as I think diablo 2 clearly falls under both terms. Its network software led the way for WoW, and again, name a single pc title that still sells RETAIL at full price 11 years after its release?

Also, by last count, Metacritic gave it an 88, and it has maintained that score over 5 years. It has never received a single disdainful review in its entire lifespan. 11 million users , and the 19th best selling game of 2008 by IGN in retail sales also disagree with you. I know its not everyone's cup of tea. I don;t play starcraft myself, not really a fan of it. I've never WoW'ed and most likely never will, but Diablo 2 was a trendsetter, and a mold breaker. That, in my mind qualifies as both influential and groundbreaking.
    Last edited by JoshWright; 08-02-11 at 04:31.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Blog Entries

I played WoW for a short time, and I've got to say it's about as exciting as watching paint dry. There was absolutely nothing in that game that made me want to continue to play it, so I gave it up. I still have the disc and all that stuff around here somewhere though.

Played the hell out of the original Diablo and beat it. Played it online heaven knows how long. When Diablo 2 came out, my computer couldn't run it more than about 2 to 5 frames per second ... and never got back into it. lol

I keep meaning to snag it again now that I know damned full and well I can run it.

My "Games of the Decade" list is pretty boring and there's nothing that's really "typical" to it ... in no particular order ...

Unreal Tournament 2004 - This is the kind of multiplayer people against people thing I like. The only mode I really play is free for all deathmatch, and that's all I need.
    Need for Speed Underground - Awesome arcadey driving mechanic, the drift mode is a blast. This is one of the few games I've played through on every difficulty level, and I still keep coming back for more.
    Left 4 Dead PC - The 360 version is good too, but the PC has I don't even know how many MODs, campaigns and levels to help keep it fresh.
    Killzone 2 - Best "modern" console shooter I've played thus far. Period.
    Okami - I haven't beaten it yet, but it's just such a gorgeous, well done game.
    Uno on 360 or PS3 - Bite me. I love it, and I've never encountered any time EVER where there wasn't a game going on online. hehe
    House of the Dead : Overkill - Fuck.
    Heavy Rain - The story is laughable at best, but it still kept me hooked. heh
    Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit (Same game, different titles ... except the US release got censored a little ... even though I haven't quite beaten it yet ... damn PC version NEEDS the controller because it was made with the consoles in mind. Trying to play with the keyboard is near impossible)
    Painkiller - Run and gun Quake style at it's finest, and one of the enemies throws fetuses at you.

I don't care how much a game sold, or what it does for gaming in general for the most part. I generally don't even care about most of those games because they fall into a genre I don't like (RPG, tactical, RTS, stealth, etc etc). I just pick from what I have the most fun with and spend the most time with.

A few runner-ups for me would be Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ... couldn't stand the original for some reason but I love DX.

I spent a good several months years ago playing Anarchy Online. Where WoW had the bitter boredom for me, AA managed to keep my interest somehow.

And the shitty little Korean first person shooter Combat Arms ... the Fireteam cooperative mode is AWESOME. It's basically a ripoff of Call of Duty's Zombie mode, only simplified with no rebuilding of barriers, no buying weapons. Just survive however many waves of zombies coming after you. And there's another mode I haven't tried yet where one (or more) people play as zombies trying to infect the human team while the human team tries to wipe them out. But I only started playing that game less than a week ago, so who knows if it'll actually hold my interest long term. heh
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast