Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Beer Thread

Blog Entries

Default The Beer Thread

So, UK and I talk a fair bit about beer in private and I thought we should turn it into a group discussion. In addition to games, planes and cars I have also been into brewing as a hobby, about 20 years now. So if you brew, or have a favorite beer this is the place.

Keeping it simple, my latest favorites;

Boddingtons, at the suggestion of UK, it is catching on in the US, available at nicer grocery stores. It has a smooth flavor and is a favorite of the Macladds.

Tetley's, also an English ale, one I discovered at the Capital Ale House near D.C. It is crazy smooth and while it is light on hopps it is not without flavor.

All time favorites;

Phungstadter, a small brewery south of Frankfurt. I used to live there and every time I pass through or visit Germany I choose Frankfurt as our stopping point just to enjoy it.

Imperial Russian Stout #2, one of mine... It is like drinking a bowl of oatmeal soaked in everclear but with a pleasant dark flavor.

On the tap at my arcade;

Guinness, it needs its own tap, gas system, etc. but is totally worth it.

Pabst Blue Ribbon, A retro beer for a retro arcade.

That's me, your turn!
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    the Macladds.
    The Macc Lads.

I can no longer drink a lot of smooth flow beers and Bitters, and most Lagers are off the menu because something they have started to put in them gives me a pounding head ache about 2 pints in, so I made the switch to Exclusively Guinness and or Cider. Usually Cider in summer and Guinness in Winter.

I occasionally have the odd foreign lager as a summer cooler, and I like the Dutch Oranjeboom and the Ozzie Carlton Gold.

St Miguel tastes like piss.

Cider I drink pretty much anything from Scrumpy to Koppaburg Pear but I like it as rough and ready as it comes, and I usually drink Weston's Old Rosie, a really potent and tasty Scrumpy.

I brew my own cider, usually from a pack but this summer I am getting a fruit press and doing the whole deal myself.

Maybe if we used to have access to a still I would have run some stuff through it and made Schnapps, but of course that would have been illegal, so we definitely did not do that. Ever.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Being from Mexico I need to mention that my favorite beer from that country is INDIO.

Also, there's a funny story regarding Guinness from a few years back. Here's an extract of what happened:

I was going to PM miner2049er on this one as we've been discussing Guinness Draught previously. But since then I found out the truth about what happened and I laughed so hard I just had to share it.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of Guinness Draughts in a glass bottle, they were very expensive but I wanted to try them.

That same night I poured the first one in a pint glass and dumped the bottle without paying much attention to it. Then, last night I decided to open the second one, and as I was tossing the bottle out I heard something inside the bottle. What I found was this:

Looking at it from the outside, at first I thought it was a piece of ice; "It must have frozen for being on the fridge for that long", I thought. But after a while I noticed that this was not melting (I actually let it be for like 5 minutes before I did anything else, and the beer was still there, not being enjoyed).

I finally decided to take a pair of pliers and remove that "thing" from the bottle. I was shocked when I saw it; I thought "What in the bloody hell is this? Is this some sort of Irish syringe? Is it a bomb?"

Anyway, I freaked out and dumped the beer in the sink, feeling relieved that I was going to live that night; however, I kept this ominous device with the intention of finding out what the heck it was.

So this morning, I searched the net for it and found out what this thing really is.

Blog Entries

You can take the man out of Mexico .......................
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    You can take the man out of Mexico .......................
    I'm still pissed I poured $5 down the drain. And that beer ain't any cheaper here in the states btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Flare View Post
    I'm still pissed I poured $5 down the drain. And that beer ain't any cheaper here in the states btw.
    Down the drain? ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Same destination, different route!
    "My good man, don't be ignorant of yourself; don't fall into the common error. For many are in such a hurry to pry into other people's business that they never turn to examining themselves. Don't refuse to face this duty then; make more serious effort to pay attention to yourself, and don't neglect public affairs if you have the ability to improve them. If they go well, not only the citizens, but your friends and you yourself will benefit at least as much as they will."

Brooklyn Brewery make some fantastic beer. Hard to find but worth the journey. I know of one pub in Edinburgh that has it available, but surely there must be others.

If you can find it, try their Brown Ale. It is pure magic in a bottle.

There's a beer where my wife used to live called Yuengling. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I hope to.
    The most I've ever really drank is Budweiser, which yeah, is a lot like having sex in a canoe.

OH man, what a great thread. Currently my favorite beer is a Belgian beer called Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizer My wife and I like it so much, we *ahem* borrowed the glassware from a local gastro pub that has it on Tap:

Outside of the beers that are 12 dollars a bottle, I've been drinking a lot of Blue Moon and FAt Tire lately. If I'm at the bowling alley or something I"ll usually drink Miller Light, but I don't mind some PBR, Guiness, NewCastle, Anchor Steam, or Spaten Optimator.

I'm not a huge fan of STella ARtois, which is big in LA with the hip kids. Also, I think Corona is for women only.

Blog Entries

What all of you need to do is get to Vegas this year for Classic Gaming Expo so we can all hit this place: http://www.hofbrauhauslasvegas.com/
    We will be paying it a visit for sure, probably Thursday night.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast