Thread: I just picked up two arcade machines for 300 bucks

Default I just picked up two arcade machines for 300 bucks

I just bought Magic Sword and Special Criminal Investigation (Chase HQ 2) for a killer price......300 dollars for both cabs! The SCI cab monitor isnt working but the boards work fine, so I just gotta find a new monitor. Ill post pics when I bring a truck to bring em home, but theyre paid for and mine!

Blog Entries

Sweet deal. Look forward to checkin those out.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

SCI is a pretty cool game. Good deal - enjoy!

Blog Entries

Magic Sword was Capcom's answer to Golden Axe as I see it. While it would be easy to tag it as a knock off because both came in somewhat plain cabs, both were side scrolling fantasy games that were similar, Magic Sword definitely makes its own mark. In fact if I had either one, I would pick up the other PCB and piggy back it to have both games. I think you will enjoy owning it, but do consider picking up a Golden Axe to pair with it.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    Magic Sword was Capcom's answer to Golden Axe as I see it. While it would be easy to tag it as a knock off because both came in somewhat plain cabs, both were side scrolling fantasy games that were similar, Magic Sword definitely makes its own mark. In fact if I had either one, I would pick up the other PCB and piggy back it to have both games. I think you will enjoy owning it, but do consider picking up a Golden Axe to pair with it.
    Is it just a basic switchout of the PCB? Also, Magic Sword only has 2 buttons, while Golden Axe has 3. Should I add another button or keep the cabinet as is (Its in really good shape right now)

Also where is a good spot to find arcade monitors? I've done everything I know to the S.C.I., but it looks like the monitor is dead. Speakers still work, and you can hear it coin up and it seems like its playing (tires squeeling, and the wheel has force feedback when you hit something apparently). Most everything I know is either from your show or from my Arcade Repair Tips Volumes 1 and 2 DVDs I have.

Anyhow, I'll have them picked up this Saturday and will have them moved to my house so I can do some detailed work to them. I've given them a good lookover at the guys house I bought em from, and checked all the monitor connections to no avail on the SCI cabinet. I'll take some detailed pics Saturday.
    Last edited by Leathco; 01-02-11 at 11:03.

Blog Entries

Although it is strictly a matter of opinion, neither MS nor GA are great cabs worthy of preserving as original. They are great games, but not great cabs, I would not hesitate to add a third button. Adding one will look just like it belongs. What you would need to do is wire a GA harness in parallel with the MS one and use a double throw switch with enough poles to handle the power supply needs. Lets say you have ground, +5v and +12v, then a 3 pole switch would allow you to power one board off and the alternate on.

As for your monitor problem you have a few options. First question is what size is it, and if you can get me the model numbers from the frame and the chassis (circuit board) and tube. Also, with the game turned on do you hear the high voltage come on? Do you see any glow at the neck (back of the tube), easiest to spot in the dark. It is not uncommon for a monitor to have a different chassis than the frame would indicate as operators often replace failed ones rather than repairing.

Option 1. Fix the thing, most monitors are pretty simple fixes, once I get your model number and details I can give you some likely repair processes. Cost should be less than $10.

Option 2. Replace the chassis, usually the tube is good and you can replace the chassis. Cost is $50~90

Option 3. Almost never a need to do so, but we can direct you to a new monitor. If yours has burn in or the tube is dead replace it for sure, but odds are you won't need to.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

I'll look up the codes when I pick them up Saturday. I don't remember seeing ANY light coming from the back in the tube area when it was powered on, but I could be mistaken. I'm pretty sure I heard it power up though.....the usual "whoom" hum a monitor does when it has juice. Once again, I could be mistaken and this sound could be coming from a different area. Once I get the machines home I'll give ya more details.

Sorry for not getting the pics up, haven't had a lot of time. I mad a vid of Magic Sword on my channel as my Lesser Game of the Month, and also caught some strange graphics artifacts in the game. I think reseating the PCB would fix it?

I'll post more and detailed pics once I get a few hours to go out there to work.

Vid is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkVYN_qi5w

Blog Entries

I took a look at your vid. I would suggest reseating the ICs (chips) use a small flat screwdriver to raise each IC in the socket and press it back into place, the ROMs are a likely source for this sort of glitch. You will need to separate the two boards which will reseat that interconnect. And of course be looking for any corrosion on the pins. If that doesn't clear the problem you might need to replace the ROMs. Hobbyroms can hook you up with new ones.

Follow us on Facebook!