Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSP2 announcement

I am not sure I understand what Bill is saying to be honest. It seems contradictory.

So, the future of handheld gaming belongs to increasingly capable convergent devices - no argument there! Though there are different things a dedicated gaming handheld, like the 3DS, PSP or PSP2 can offer.

The 3DS's unique selling point is the 3D screen - which has pros and cons, is limited in many ways in how it can be used and for how long, and so on. The touch screen, using older tech as it is, is not a feature that separates it from everything else out there anymore. Same goes for its gaming performance or capabilities. Same goes for its price! None of those things are unique selling points anymore - two of which have been crucial to success before, namely 1) casual gaming monopoly via unique touch screen gaming, and 2) very low price point with extremely long battery life.

Heck, even the games that were not possible on the DS before, but are now emphasised on its successor (3rd party titles, etc) are actually NOT of the casual mass market type - good casual games require nothing more than a DS after all - but of the "PSP" type of games! Outside the familiar mario/zelda/icarus/kirby/etc franchises of course ... those stand alone.

The PSP2's selling point is, well it's that it's a dedicated gaming handheld with capabilities that will remain unmatched for years to come (2 or 3, at least). It also adds features, like the touch screen, the touch panel, increased connectivity, superior multimedia and internet potential, that enable it to offer the best a casual user may want. But it's clearly not a casual device for casual gaming users - it COULD be used as one, but then why add an extra device to your arsenal when you can do that casual stuff extremely well on your iPhone 5, or what have you.

So while I agree that casual gaming (that which the majority of the population will be interested in) is not what dedicated gaming handhelds, especially non-inexpensive ones, are designed for, this was never going to be the case anyway.

I just don't see how the 3DS has anything to offer that distinguishes it from what's available now or even in comparison to the PSP2, in the same way that the DS did.

About Xperia Play ... Sony didn't also announce a phone device, they announced a gaming platform of their own that will run on Sony approved android handsets in the future (minimum requirements apply). That's a completely separate thing from the PSP2 as the devices it'll be running on will only have a fraction of the PSP2's performance to run games - and like I already explained, even emulating the original PSP (which is as capable as a Gamecube or even PS2 for all intents and purposes) would be technically impossible on common smartphones, even the cutting edge ones. It's still a different audience, with different needs - a different market that has a completely different shape in terms of requirements and needs. I am excited about the Playstation Suite for android - it's the one hope to unify gaming on commonplace handhelds, outside iOS that is.
    Last edited by Nous; 27-01-11 at 09:01.
    "My good man, don't be ignorant of yourself; don't fall into the common error. For many are in such a hurry to pry into other people's business that they never turn to examining themselves. Don't refuse to face this duty then; make more serious effort to pay attention to yourself, and don't neglect public affairs if you have the ability to improve them. If they go well, not only the citizens, but your friends and you yourself will benefit at least as much as they will."

"My good man, don't be ignorant of yourself; don't fall into the common error. For many are in such a hurry to pry into other people's business that they never turn to examining themselves. Don't refuse to face this duty then; make more serious effort to pay attention to yourself, and don't neglect public affairs if you have the ability to improve them. If they go well, not only the citizens, but your friends and you yourself will benefit at least as much as they will."

Am I alone in thinking that it looks like an original GBA with a glandular problem?

For some reason this does absolutely nothing to excite me. My PSP rarely gets any play, and I don't see this one being any different. Might be a great emulation machine once someone cracks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    For some reason this does absolutely nothing to excite me. My PSP rarely gets any play, and I don't see this one being any different. Might be a great emulation machine once someone cracks it.
    I'm always intrigued by such comments. I'm sure you're being perfectly honest, but I'm curious ... what games do you have which you don't find appealing ?

Blog Entries

The PSP2 definitely looks a lot better than the 3DS to me, mainly because the launch list is more interesting to me. I look at the 3DS launch list and think "uugh" and the screenshots look like a mix of PS1 and N64.

Granted, the entire list is made up of franchises that we already know, but if it's anything like the original PSP games they more than likely won't be just downgraded ports of PS3 games. At least in the case of games like Killzone, Metal Gear Solid, etc etc ... especially with some early stuff with devs porting parts of games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Yakuza 4 to the system with little problems.

I just hope that third party developers actually DO something with this system rather than exclusively making largely uninteresting shoveled out bullshit for Nintendo by taking advantage of the horsepower and features in this thing. That (and UMDs) were the big problem with the original PSP. Sony was practically the only ones doing anything interesting with it. I still want to get a PSP1 to play games like Killzone, God of War, Modnation Racers and stuff like that. But there are very few third party developed games I can think of off the top of my head that even look remotely good.

As it stands right now though, I'd just rather get a 4th generation iPod Touch than either Nintendo or Sony's stuff.
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalamar View Post
    As it stands right now though, I'd just rather get a 4th generation iPod Touch than either Nintendo or Sony's stuff.
    OR maybe a 5th gen iPod touch ? ;-)

Watch the announcements here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12