Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop help

Default Laptop help

Hey need some help/advice. I have a 4 year old Dell laptop that I use for internet and email, and some Word. Works great so I can't justify replacing it right now. It has issues with getting hot and locking up and it seems like it is getting increasingly worse. I've been using a laptop cooling fan base deal, but they don't last more than 2 or 3 months, even if I buy a high end/expensive one.

I've looked through bios and start up I don't see a way to run the internal fan all the time, or an adjustment to kick it on at a low temp. I've also cleaned the system as best I can with out fully taking it apart. My 3 questions are does anyone know if it would be worth it to take the system apart, pull the processor and reapply thermal grease? Would it help? Anyone have a better solution/idea?

Thanks

Well, it could be difficult to get to the CPU. It depends on the laptop model. You can find the service manuals on Dell's website.

I would more suspect the fan assembly. The air path may be clogged with dust on a computer that is four years old.

What's the service tag?

Blog Entries

Find out if it can be overclocked? By that logic you could clock it down?

For me, if a laptop does that to me, it's scrapped. But that's because while I *AM* "computer inclined" I'm not electronically inclined due to a disability of sorts. heh
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Blog Entries

It could be the CPU needs reseating but I hate dismantling laptops. Try a compressed air blower down around the fan with it switched off obviously.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I thought I had goggled this when it started being an issue, apparently this is a HUGE issue with the M1210, I am testing a GUI fan interface to see if it will help... back to the other post--

I maxed out the ram in it, so I know that popping the keyboard is a pain in the butt. I used to build my own desktops, so I know my way around, but as miner points out laptops are a tough nut.

I have blown it out, several times, but its been about a year? since I blew it out when I added the memory and had it taken partial apart. The fan runs good when it runs and has good air flow. But as I said prior, in my opinion the fan doesn't turn on when it should, by the time it kicks in the CPU is already too hot

Here is the service tag 8DP4NB1, it is a XPS M1210.

So do you guys think it would be worth reseating/regreasing the CPU?
    Last edited by SRG; 16-01-11 at 12:48.

Blog Entries

Reseat the CPU with new paste and update the BIOS to the latest, and see if it has configurable temperature settings for the fan to kick in. Some laptops can be set to quietest or most performance settings. They may be in a later BIOS than you have though.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Thanks miner, I have been running this program I8kfanGUI < http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html > for about 2 hours and the laptop is running an average of 10 C lower, using the auto temp features built in the program. I have the option to kick the fans on high and it drops down to around 22 to 25 C but I don't see the point when the programs auto features are doing great.

As I type this I realize that the laptop has never ran this cool, it feels like it just got turned on after being off for a day or two. Stupid Dell!

Blog Entries

Default Help if possible

a few questions for you-

Do you own a cooling pad?

When the cpu heats up are you running a specific application. Case in Point, if I try to run anything graphicly challenging on my laptop, I can basicly fry and egg with it.

When it does get hot, do you smell anything. Like hot metal or plastic melting?

I have a 4 year old laptop as well, and as mentioned before it can become a space heater if I try to run the wrong applications. Things that help are making sure that I'm plugged into the power supply, as running off the battery increases your heat production, as well as being safe with apps like flash and certain video players like vlc and windows media player.

Anyway, send me the answers to those and hopefully we can troubleshoot your problem.
    Josh Wright

Reviewer for Game Gavel.com

My Email

My profile

Mr. Booshy on Steam

Yup got a brand new fancy cooling pad, sometimes it seems like it runs cooler with out the cooling pad fans?

As for when it heats up today it seems like the simplest things are taxing the system and wanting to over heat it...

Rarely if ever have I smelled anything. The bottom of the laptop does have blistering in the powder coating from over heating in the past, I've only been using a cooling pad for about a year

So since I have been using this new cooling pad and a bit of software to help force the fan to run, so have not locked up in weeks, Thanks to all who offered advice...

Anyhow I am getting back more in taxes than expect so I am shopping around for a new laptop, I do a lot of photography and photoshop stuff, but a Mac is out of my price range. I thought some people on here were talking about doing dual boot PC/MAC with a mid budget Dell? I can't find the posts I have seen some how to's and stuff online but it better to me to exchange info with people. So has anyone here done this? I find reference to websites that can recommend which laptops are best but the links are always broken I am looking at like a Dell XPS 17 inch with 6 GB ram, my budget is around $1000 to 1200 Thanks for any info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast