Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a good 3D arcade brawler.

Default Is there such a thing as a good 3D arcade brawler.

Not sure if this should go in Arcade or in Console. Could go either way.

today on the way into work I was listening to the Game Informer podcast. They were talking about the new Scott Pilgrim game which has game play along the lines of River City Ransom / Double Dragon / Final Fight, etc. In other words a classic 2D brawler.

They compared it to the Watchmen game which basically has the same game play mechanics but is in 3D. They implied that Watchmen was obviously inferior because it was in 3D and there has NEVER been a good 3D brawler.

And that made the old "Devil's Advocate" nerve go off in my head. So how about it? Anyone out there think of a good 3D brawler? I've got two right of the top of my head:

Die Hard (Arcade / Saturn)

and

Zombie Revenge (Dreamcast)

Blog Entries

Virtua Fighter. Probably my favourite of the genre.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Yakuza on PS2 was sort of a 3D brawler and it kicked ass. I like Die Hard Arcade but Zombie Revenge isn't one of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by black flag nc View Post
    Yakuza on PS2 was sort of a 3D brawler and it kicked ass. I like Die Hard Arcade but Zombie Revenge isn't one of my favs.
    Yeah, I loved it on the Dremacast but haven't played it for years. I would imagine it has not aged well. Still I do think of it as a "good" 3D side scroller.

I enjoyed the story mode in Tekken 6, which is basically a 3D beat 'em up.

Never played MK: Shaolin Monks but I hear good things. The Konquest mode in MK: Armageddon was similar, and it was fun.

I also like Zombie Revenge - it's my Halloween ritual. Fire up the DC and play Zombie Revenge. Every year it's the same thing, though. I get to the train and run out of continues. :'(

Virtua Fighter. Probably my favourite of the genre.
    Different genre...

For me the ONLY fighting game I enjoyed is Soul Calibur, but its a fighter rather than a scrolling "brawler" style game.

It's not retro in the Slightest, but I LOVED Bayonetta to crap and back. Such a great action brawler game, shame there's nothing better, it makes Devil May Cry look bad...

Quote Originally Posted by SepticLemon View Post
    It's not retro in the Slightest, but I LOVED Bayonetta to crap and back. Such a great action brawler game, shame there's nothing better, it makes Devil May Cry look bad...
    Agreed, great game and some nice SEGA fan service.

Blog Entries

The entire God of War franchise
    Dante's Inferno
    Darkstalkers
    Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks (awesome game)
    Death by Degrees is decent once you get past the weird dual stick control scheme
    The Devil May Cry games
    Bayonetta
    The new-school Ninja Gaiden games
    Shinobi
    TMNT
    Soul Reaver
    The Bloodrayne games
    If you wanna get technical, the Turtles in Time Re-Shelled that was released recently. It's IDENTICAL gameplay as the original, but completely re-done in 3D.
    Final Fight Streetwise is a decent game, just a deplorable Final Fight game.

And, these are a little grey but they do have those elements :
    Family Guy Video Game
    The Simpsons Video Game

And, even greyer, any hockey game (checkin' people, slamming them into walls, fist fights when someone's just had enough, etc), NBA Jam/Hangtime/any other basketball game like that (one of the mechanics of the game is just to shove the other guy down to get the ball), any of the NFL Blitz games, and to a lesser extent, football in general because you're just plowing through people constantly. Just NFL Blitz basically centered the gameplay around doing as much damage to the other players as possible it seems. Of course, whether or not they're "good" or even fall into that category just depends both on how you look at it and whether you're into those kinda games.

Yeah, but games like Mortal Kombat (except of course for Shaolin Monks, Special Forces and that shit Sub-Zero game), Street Fighter, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, etc etc aren't beat'em ups in the same vein as something like Final Fight or Bayonetta. So those don't count. heh
    David "Dhalamar" Miller
    http://www.wastedseconds.com - Wasted Seconds
    The Wasted Seconds Podcast at http://podcast.wastedseconds.com
    iTunes http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/t...st/id377809676
    PSN : DhalamarWS
    Steam : Dhalamar
    OnLive : Dhalamar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast