View RSS Feed

Kevin Hummons

Game Gavel Responds: David Jaffe sick of "artsy fartsy" games

Rate this Entry

So the story goes like this: David Jaffe, creator of God of War, Twisted Metal, and all around awesome guy, got a Tweet from a fan who said he prefers gameplay over narrative. Fair enough assessment, no? In fact I'm inclined to agree with him. With a few exceptions I will always take gameplay over plot. In fact most of the time if the developer hasn't put in the effort to develop the games basic mechanics like, ya know, fucking working than you're gonna get shit from the plot department.

However I have to disagree with what Mr. Jaffe Tweeted as a respone:

Reality is, we work for the gamer and we want them as happy as they can be. We will push as hard as we can to get it perfect for every gamer until the time has simply run out... That said, I agree... SO F*CKING SICK of artsy fartsy in this industry. Get f*cking over yourselves bitches.
Now I'm all about giving people the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Jaffe wants "artsy" games essentially outsed if I didn't think that's what he outright said but that's what I see when I read "Get fucking over yourselves bitches".

Jaffe if you don't like the games you can say so but I have to say I think you're being a bit harsh on this one. If people enjoy "artsy fartsy" games, however the fuck you define that genre, leave them the fuck be. The beauty of the evolution of the videogame industry is how much it can house. All audiences from all corners of this gaming culture should be allowed to enjoy themselves however they feel is appropriate.

I don't like sports games, because I don't like sports (a point I'm going to come to soon enough), but I'm not about to go out of my way to tell sports gamers to piss off. What do I care? It's not like we're all sharing space in a basement and all the sports gamers are getting into my stuff. This is a mutli-billion dollar industry. I don't think anyone needs to get over themselves. Rather, this is the opportune environment to indulge. It's indulgence that breeds creativity. If you want to make it, do it!

I'm not one of those people who has any fascination with the indie community, nor do I believe as some do that the indie community is somehow innovating anything, but one thing I have to give them credit for is their daringness to try. When an indie developer wants shit done he indulges in his creative appetite. And because of this he and his team bring some small portion of the gaming community together with a common love of the game. Why should these guys get over themselves? They're making products that people want.

Mr. Jaffe just as I don't like sports games so I don't feel I need to criticize the direction of sports, maybe you just don't like "artsy fartsy" games. So don't play them. Play what you love, and love what you play, but there is no need to go out and criticize a type of game you already know you have a predisposed disinterest in so harshly as to tell them to essentially stop doing what they do.

My point? No one needs to get over themselves or to change what they're doing. This industry is big enough for all of us.

Thank you Destructoid for originally reporting this.

Submit "Game Gavel Responds: David Jaffe sick of "artsy fartsy" games" to Digg Submit "Game Gavel Responds: David Jaffe sick of "artsy fartsy" games" to del.icio.us Submit "Game Gavel Responds: David Jaffe sick of "artsy fartsy" games" to StumbleUpon Submit "Game Gavel Responds: David Jaffe sick of "artsy fartsy" games" to Google

Comments

Jaffe's a douche bag anyway. You can gather that right away from "Jaffe-toid" ... he's got his head too far up his ass because of the God of War games.

He likes to make and play a certain style of game, that's fine. They don't have very good stories or plots because he isn't really capable of doing that, that's fine. God of War, Twisted Metal, great mindless fun.

But he seems to think his opinion MATTERS because he made those games. And it doesn't. People make those "artsy fartsy" games the same reason he makes his : because they want to and that's what they enjoy.

Me personally, I couldn't care less about these art games ... Passage? Didn't blink an eye (though the art style is cool). While I can definitely appreciate what the little game is trying to do, it doesn't mean I have to give a shit about it.

But you also don't see me whining and complaining about them ... even if I WAS a game designer or creator ... they're doing what they want to do. Awesome.

Like I said, David Jaffe is a fucking douche bag.

Retro Gaming RoundUp