Hey. Wasn't sure where this would be more appropriate, so feel free to bump it or whatever.

Having my Youtube "Recommended Viewing" show a lot of Coleco Chameleon" videos, I remembered that, at one point, I tried to create a video game console.

Never went far, by the way.

I had to be about 13 or 14, and this was about 1992-93 when I thought "How cool would it be to make a video game console of my own?" I never realized you need more than just an idea (hint hint).

I discussed the idea with my cousin Jason, who has done everything with me from Comic Books to Cartoons to Video Masters. Bare in mind, this was more than 25 years ago, so I'll be paraphrasing here. Jay told me this kind of concept could be done. I said great, and began formulating what this console would be like.

The system was going to be called the "Graph-X System 500" (laugh later). The games were going to be built-in. I think I had about 5 ideas, which would have been generic and bland ideas of an Action Game, Sports Game, RPG Game, etc. I can't remember how long we went with this idea, but I do remember taking apart an Atari 2600 system thinking we'll use the parts for our console.

Sound familiar?

One day, Jason showed me what looked to be a rather out-of-date electronic parts catalogue. He was showing me what we'd need to make this console. A motherboard would have been (I think) around $250 or so (that figure kinda stuck, I could be way off on that). He also mentioned we'd need a soldering gun. If I remember correctly, Jay said he either knew how to solder or could learn how. He was 12 at the time, but knew a lot about computers. Still does.. as he works for Best Buy Geek Squad, and has built 2 of my PC's.

Jay assured me purchasing this stuff would be no big deal, probably because at age 10, he lost his right leg due to an uninsured driver in his neighborhood, won the case, and probably had some money to spend (his lawyer actually bought him a Street Fighter II arcade cab).

I started to have second thoughts about this console idea. Maybe the reality set in of "Do you even know what you're doing?"

Of course, nowadays, you could easily make your own video games with the right kind of software, or make your own levels to existing video games like with Super Mario Maker. But back in 1992, Jay and I probably needed to attend some technical college for a few years, or be the kind of super brainy types that could build a Rocket ship out of stuff from Grandma's kitchen, MacGyver style.

At least we ditched the idea before we got in over our heads. As many of you, some years later, we found it more fun (and less costly) to review games than make them.