0 0%
  • Bruce Lee

0 0%

Thread: 2019.01 Top Ten Commodore 64 Games

Blog Entries

Default 2019.01 Top Ten Commodore 64 Games

Vote in our Poll.

Suggest a future Top Ten Topic here.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

2. Default

Wizball and Bruce Lee are my two favorites from this list. What's often overlooked is that the computer in question has some of the greatest arcade conversions ever to appear on home platforms. For instance, I can't think of a better version of Zaxxon than Synapse's for the C64 (my first actual computer, perhaps explaining my bias), a better Mr. Do! than DataSoft's, a better Donkey Kong or Battle Zone than AtariSoft's -- the latter actually looks close to vector -- or a better Q*Bert than Parker Bros., all for this beloved machine.

Must-plays (but read the fucking manuals, or at least PDFs about the keyboard controls) also include Microprose's Airborne Ranger, Ocean's Paradroid, Micro Fun's Miner 2049'er (surprised you gave that one a miss!) and Bounty Bob Strikes Back, Sierra Online's Oil's Well......I could go on. (Well, clearly.)

In terms of top-ten ideas, have you ever considered a top-ten top tens? Or at least top ten moments? I guess that would take an awful lot of listening. Maybe fans can come up with moments to be considered. I would vote for the mascot argument, even though the list was improperly named. It would have been better called the Top Ten Video-Game Icons, since a mascot reminds people of a company (a team counts as a company in this regard), and Pac-Man wouldn't remind anyone of Namco or Midway in specific, except perhaps fanatics like us -- nor would a Space Invader make most people think of Taito or Midway. Mario was the only actual mascot in your list. He's got so many games that players don't associate him with just one, as much as they think, "Nintendo." As far as icons go, however, you nailed it.

Damn, I can be pedantic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris++ View Post
    Must-plays (but read the fucking manuals,
    Paradroid,
    One I mean to get round to learning, but haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris++ View Post
    In terms of top-ten ideas, have you ever considered a top-ten top tens?
    http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/sh...00_2016.03.php
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

4. Default

What's funny is that I listened to that episode with great interest, and even had some feedback read during the News segment, due to the 100th-show anniversary -- but I apparently forgot about that list. Doesn't speak highly for my mental capacity, but still, I'm glad you did that list! (Going back to listen again. This is tantamount to being assigned a repeated-writing punishment for not learning lessons. Hmph.)

I will not forget prior Top Ten subjects