Thread: If Simon does requests......

Default If Simon does requests......

I am not sure if he was at Ocean during this time, but I loved the Robocop franchise, and I know that Ocean worked on some of the games in the series. My favorite has always been the first NES game, which was bashed by many reviewers but I enjoyed a lot, since Robocop controlled much the same way he looked in the film series. This game was developed by Ocean, but published by Data East. I was just curious if Simon had worked on it, and what his thoughts were on it if he did.

Have you tried Robocop on the Game boy? It was very good. I believe he talked about his friend working on Robocop.
    Because why should you settle for just an average merkin?
    www.jri-rigg.com

I haven't loaded up the Game Boy one yet, but I need to.

You are in for a treat. There is a Gameboy game and a Gameboy Color UK game. I am talking about the regular Gameboy game although the UK Gameboy Color game is worth a play through also. The Gameboy game is more like the arcade version, it is hard but good.
    www.jri-rigg.com

Default Robocop musings.

Quote Originally Posted by Leathco View Post
    I am not sure if he was at Ocean during this time, but I loved the Robocop franchise, and I know that Ocean worked on some of the games in the series. My favorite has always been the first NES game, which was bashed by many reviewers but I enjoyed a lot, since Robocop controlled much the same way he looked in the film series. This game was developed by Ocean, but published by Data East. I was just curious if Simon had worked on it, and what his thoughts were on it if he did.
    Howdy.
    I was still at Ocean at the very beginning of the Robocop era.
    I shall talk about it in next month's podcast if I remember.
    I have set a reminder on my desktop so I shall give you a name-check.

Cool, and thank you! Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leathco View Post
    Cool, and thank you! Looking forward to it.
    Me too. I have always wanted to know about the development of the Robocop NES game. I received my copy for Christmas along with the Back to the Future game. Needless to say Robocop saved my Christmas and has since remained one of my favorites. The artwork was fantastic!
    www.jri-rigg.com

My experience with the game was as a regular rental for a couple years, every time I rented it managing to get a level or two further. Finally bought it at the end of the SNES era when the rental store sold off its NES games for 2 to 5 bucks each, and finally beat it a few months later. I remember the factory stage being particularly brutal, but the junkyard stage not being so bad. My favorite were the first two stages and the OCP quarters stage.

Thumbs up Ocean's Robocop for Gameboy

Chris, in case you have not had the chance to check out the masterpiece that is Ocean's Robocop on the GAMEBOY your old pal Piff did a short preview playthrough here.
    www.jri-rigg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Piff Merkin View Post
    Chris, in case you have not had the chance to check out the masterpiece that is Ocean's Robocop on the GAMEBOY your old pal Piff did a short preview playthrough here.
    I had the change to play it a couple weeks back, was very surprised. It's quite similar to the arcade version, a very competent port. It's surprising the amount of care that the original game boy version got versus the NES one.

I also really enjoyed Simons thoughts on the games. I figured the NES game would get slagged, as it's really a guilty pleasure of mine and one of those games I can see the good in, but at the same time it does have its share of issues. I still enjoy it for what it is though.

That being said, I seem to have strange tastes at times. As far as the movies go, the original is my favorite, followed by the second one. The third is dead last, but I also treat the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries "Prime Directives" as it's own series of movies, and taken as such, they aren't bad. Not as good as the first two movies, but much better than the third. If you haven't watched them yet, I would recommend them to any Robocop fan, but they are pretty long at around 90 minutes per episode, with 4 episodes made. But it's interesting seeing a much older Robocop, and also interesting to see where how his son grows up and what the sons decisions entail. The second cyborg "RoboCable" is also an interesting take.