Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RaspiBoy, an easy to build Raspberry Pi Handheld

Default RaspiBoy, an easy to build Raspberry Pi Handheld

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lectro/updates

Looks pretty nice. Controls are modeled from the SNES controller. No soldering required, the entire unit is put together by mounting a few PCBs and buttons, screwing it all together, and transfer your games over. I went ahead and backed it, hoping it all works out.

Last edited by Leathco; 26-12-16 at 09:09.

Project has had some minor delays, but I am holding faith that I will get my kit sometime this summer. Dev has given constant updates, including video of them making the case mold (which has been the cause of many of the delays).

Also, the kit I ordered is a black one with an expanded battery, but I passed on the extra controllers. I have enough USB controllers in the house that will work with this without adding more to the collection.

Blog Entries

Does it have video out?
    I couldn't see it mentioned and it seems odd not to have it if you can use external controllers.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Does it have video out?
    I couldn't see it mentioned and it seems odd not to have it if you can use external controllers.
    Yes, there is video out. It uses the Mini HDMI port on the Pi Zero for video output. Also the unit itself has 2 USB ports for extra controllers, and there is an add-on kit to add a third USB port to go up to 4 player on HDMI Out. The only bad part is that the USB ports are on the handheld itself, so all controllers are plugged into Player 1's controller. Get long corded controllers!

Or another option is to get a bluetooth USB hub and use bluetooth controllers via Retropie.

Looks like they are preparing to ship this week. Once I receive mine I will do a review for the forum and the RGR Blog. I will be testing using both the Raspberry Pi 0 and the Pi 0 W which has built in bluetooth and wifi. I think they are shipping from China, so I am guesstimating getting mine in 3 to 4 weeks as long as everything works out. I understand there were some minor issues with the mold, but the issues were cosmetic and do not affect function of the handheld, just some marks on the casing from what I have seen.

Another update: shipping began on 7-29, however, the shipping company can only push out 3 to 5 hundred units a week. I believe the number sold was around 1500 units. Again, when I get mine I will be doing a review.

Below is a video detailing assembly. Mine will be a little different from the assembly video, as I ordered a black one with a larger battery, and I will be using a Pi 0 W instead of the standard Pi 0 so I can have integrated bluetooth and wifi. I also am not using the extra USB addon, as with the Pi 0 I can have controllers hook up via bluetooth, and than still use the other two ports for wired controllers if necessary.

Last edited by Leathco; 01-08-17 at 01:45.

I have a tracking number on mine and it is currently in Chicago. USPS estimates a delivery date of by this Friday, possibly before. I am working on a 64 gig card and building an image for it, and will do a first thoughts on it the day I get it, and a full review a few days after.

Mine showed up today, here are my initial thoughts. A more detailed review will hopefully be going up this weekend on the RGR Blog.

Pros: Very easy assembly. It's possible to have ready to go in 20 minutes. The size fits very well in the hands. The D Pad in particular is well designed, it pivots in the middle, making it great for most games. The 8bcraft PCB makes nice use of expanding the handheld with USB ports, a headphone jack, and volume control.

Cons: Even after making the alterations to config.txt, the screen is very blurry, guessing it's a config issue but not sure what the proper config would be, but from other videos its obvious the screen is capable of much more. The volume is pretty low when set to maximum, and there is some electronic bleed through the speaker which likely comes from insufficient shielding of the speaker cables. It would be nice to have access to the SD card from outside the unit instead of requiring a complete disassembly to get to it. It is not possible to charge the unit with the power on, plugging in a charger while the unit is powered on immediately shuts it off. This is a design error according to the developer of the project, and will possible be fixed in a board revision where one could just replace the 8bcraft board.

I know the cons look bad, but for being a home made project it looks very professionally done. It does the job quite well. Another minor niggle is that it (currently) does not work with a Pi 0 W (I have one but will not risk trying it and frying the 8bcraft board), but I can't count that as a con as the Pi 0 W came out after the kickstarter.

Right now I am using USB Rom Service to load my card with games. I ordered a USB Wifi dongle to install some other stuff via RetroPie, and also ordered a Mini HDMI to fullsize HDMI cable so its easier to see while I am working on it. Hoping someone posts some updated alterations to the config.txt (or just uploads their own config.txt) that makes the screen more viewable.

Thank you for the update!
    Because why should you settle for just an average merkin?
    www.jri-rigg.com

Another update, more good and bad. First the bad: the devices screen has failed. Did some troubleshooting, including a complete teardown and rebuild, with the same issue: a black screen but HDMI out working. I contacted the dev, and he thinks the 8bcraft PCB is defective, and from looking at the Kickstarter a few others had a similar issue. He is supposed to send me a replacement PCB to see if it fixes the issue. Unfortunately, this means review is delayed, but on the positive side, we will see how good 8bcrafts support is!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast