Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Classic Mini

i4000 Guest

Cool Nintendo Classic Mini

All over the gaming news today, Nintendo are to release a mini NES with 30 games embedded, the NES classic mini:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ainment-system

Not sure what's inside, but my guess would be a SoC style emulator with some burned in ROMs (can't see them using SD cards). As it's an official Nintendo licensed product they should be enforcing some decent standards of quality for game reproduction, so hopefully none of the awful colour / sound reproduction of some of the cheaper variants.

Even if it is a bit shit it's probably still worth getting as a project, open it up and stick a Raspberry Pi inside
    Classic Mini.jpg

random_dave Guest

I have preordered one on amazon UK for 49.99, which is quite a lot for a TV game, but cheap for a wii controller and 30 virtual console games

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Has a solid game line up which is a bit of a surprise.

Having said that, just put them all on and charge a bit more for it.......
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

focusrs Guest

Its got Galaga so I have to buy it :P

Blog Entries

Cool. I have been playing a ton of Galaga on my MAME cab now it is set up again.

Also, we discussed Galaga 88 in the July Top Ten, due out soon.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I'm watching for when pre orders go up on Amazon in the US.
    Still some games I'd love to see included in the collection. Looking what companies they were able to make deals with, here are more titles to include:
    -Lifeforce
    -Nightshade
    -Adventures of Lolo
    -Star Tropics 2
    -Double Dribble
    -Gargoyle's Quest 2
    -River City Ransom

No question about it, I'm getting one. Doesn't matter if I own all the games on it already. Hopefully this thing will sell enough that Nintendo creates a second model, this time with a cart slot and a wider game selection. This little one is great already, but imagine if Nintendo themselves gave us a new NES with HDMI output and a larger chunk of games. 100 to 200 would be crazy good. Just looking at the licenses the got for the 30, they could easily boost it with more. Heck, lets look.

First, we see the first two Castlevania titles. It's not much of a stretch to think it would be easy to get the third one on as well, although this would take more work on the emulator due to the third game using some custom hardware in the cart.

Donkey Kong one and two are on there. While the third game isn't nearly as good, why not toss it on for completionists sake?

Galaga and Pac-Man are included, so they have Namco on their side. Mappy, Rolling Thunder, and Tag Team Pro Wrestling are three other Namco games that would fit well. They had a few other NES titles as well.

We get Double Dragon 2, but not the first one? The first one is the one I remember most from my childhood. Tack the third one on as well and complete the original trilogy.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is on there, complete the trilogy!

First party has plenty of room for more as well. Startropics is included, but the second one (which I think was the final first party game) is missing from the system. Throw in all of the black box games that don't require the zapper or ROB.

I can keep going, but I will stop with one company. Capcom made a ton of great NES games. Let's start with the one game we get, Mega Man 2. Just throw all 6 NES games from Mega Man on here, and you have a system people would buy just for those six games. But this is Capcom NES era we are talking about. 1942, 1943, Bionic Commando, Gargoyle's Quest 2, Gun.Smoke, Little Nemo, Mighty Final Fight, and Section Z could all be added with no problem. If someone wanted to pay a little extra for licensing, throw in their collection of Disney games they did as well.

I see Little Nemo as being a licensing issue the way the Disney games would be. Pretty sure they may have added Double Dragon 2 instead of the first game to include another multiplayer game. The first one was single player only.

You know which one is missing? Wario's Woods. That is the game you're thinking of that's the last first party game.

drich255 Guest

As someone else noted: Nintendo, once again, has found a way to get me to repurchase Super Mario Bros.

It is a great solution for all those that didn't buy a Wii U. I do have many of the titles on Wii U, but it might just be too cool to pass up.

The game list is quite a nice surprise of top tier games. I am surprised they went with Super C instead of Contra. Not crazy about Ice Climbers. Hopefully Urban Champion isn't some sort of unlockable easter egg.
    Last edited by drich255; 20-07-16 at 03:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgertime View Post
    I see Little Nemo as being a licensing issue the way the Disney games would be. Pretty sure they may have added Double Dragon 2 instead of the first game to include another multiplayer game. The first one was single player only.

You know which one is missing? Wario's Woods. That is the game you're thinking of that's the last first party game.
    Little Nemo in Slumberland goes back to 1905, so it should be in the public domain. Unless Disney had the law changed again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.