Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An idea: A community driven online Retro Gaming magazine

Default An idea: A community driven online Retro Gaming magazine

After FocusRS posted in the Chameleon thread about how he just got scammed by a certain website and magazine owner, I think I have had my fill. We need a respectable gaming magazine. Retro Magazine in the UK is a great choice, but I am wanting to do something unique for the US audience, and maybe even a worldwide audience. However, I am a nobody in the retro community, so I am going to need the communities help.

The goal: a downloadable PDF magazine for free that can be read on tablets or PC. Possibly also releasing via the Kindle store. Release would be tri-monthly.

I have some layout experience in the past with Adobe Pagemaker, and am currently downloading Adobe Indesign to see if I can use my old skills in that program. I am preparing to reach out to whatever retro gaming fans and luminaries I know to see if they are interested in writing articles, either one offs or features every issue. Everyone on Retro Gaming Roundup and Retro Review Revolution forums are invited to have a stab at writing an article. I know our show hosts are always busy with the podcasts, but they are invited as well. I'll try to handle all of the layout work. I am considering the titles Retro Retread, RetroBits, Old-School Gamer, or Gaming Classics. Any advice will be taken! Is there anyone on this forum who would maybe want something to do with this project?

Blog Entries

Stay tuned for news on a magazine..............
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Works for me. If there's any area I can help in let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Leathco, One thing I don't agree with you on. I believe that a retro magazine should not be free. I believe writers need to be paid because being paid helps them to write more professionally.

At JRI-RIGG we need to hire a staff writer, we have read your writings and would like to offer you a position if you are interested email me and we can discuss it.

Jerry
    Because why should you settle for just an average merkin?
    www.jri-rigg.com

Blog Entries

A testament to how funny our hosts are is that I really have no idea if that Jeri Rigg thing is a joke or not? Is it really for real?
    Early backer of the CGE Adventures Atari game - Long time listener of the RGR Podcast.

Jri-rigg is a real deal. The site offers a custom made Pi based television streaming media center, and a second version made specifically for gaming.

Also, I would be happy to help the team at jri-rigg. The reason I usually offer any writing I do free is twofold. One, its my way to give back to a community that has given a lot to me. Retro Gaming Roundup has given me so many hours of entertainment that I want to help them in some way, and the blog entries I do is my way of helping. If anyone ever read one thing I wrote, it's been worth it. Same thing for my youtube channel. The second reason is that I am an amateur, and there are people out there that do better than myself. Many people have covered and reviewed the history of video games, and many individual games, far better than I ever could. The only thing I have to offer is a unique perspective of my own opinions and experiences.

Yes, VIPP there really is a JRI-RIGG. I think Leathco said it best here http://retroreviewrevolution.x10.mx/wp/?p=818

We have some new products coming soon like the Woody! The SWIZZLE (gaming) USB stick and the JRI-RIGG handheld now dubbed the POCKET-RIGG

THE PICS BELOW ARE WORKING PROTOTYPES AND DO NOT FULLY REPRESENT THE FINISHED PRODUCT.

Atari-RIGG2.jpgIMG_0208.jpgIMG_0206.jpg
    Because why should you settle for just an average merkin?
    www.jri-rigg.com

Blog Entries

That's awesome mate!
    Early backer of the CGE Adventures Atari game - Long time listener of the RGR Podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
    That's awesome mate!
    There's a contest going on, have you entered?

Blog Entries

The handheld looks cool, and has a power LED so we know it's real.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast