Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten Drunken Listener Purchases

Blog Entries

Default Top Ten Drunken Listener Purchases

Post your drunken purchases.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I'll open this up with a recent one. I've made worse, but this is currently the worst for the 2016 season.

Myself and a couple friends went to a Magic the Gathering pre-release. The release was at midnight, and went til 5 am. We then decide to do the following release as well, which starts at noon. During the interim, we go to a Dennys to eat, than hang out outside the mall until it opens. The drinks involved include absinthe, everclear, and cherry UV. Our driver is good, but me and the friend are a bit tipsy. We go in the mall, and hit our usual stores (Hot Topic, FYE, Spencers, Gamestop). In the Spencers I suddenly decide I need a hat at the next prerelease so that the glare from my shiny bald head doesn't distract my opponent, but perhaps I can use something else as a distraction. That's when I happen upon this.

http://www.spencersonline.com/produc...Search=Find+It
    index.jpg

Not only am I tipsy enough to purchase this shining example of my patriotism, I also proudly wear this hat during the second prerelease. While I was a lil buzzed, I still managed to perform decent, going with 2 wins and 2 losses. I ended up in 19th place out of 36 competitors (proof of this is at http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Planesw...nts/4103783101, check the date 2016-04-02)

Piff Merkin Guest

When I was 14 I got drunk in Old Mexico "Laredo Nuevo" to be exact. I was with my Dad on a business trip, we had dinner in a fancy Mexican Restaurant, I had 3 or 4 beers. On the way back over the border I bought a five foot painted plaster of Paris statue of an American Eagle. It was 110 that day and we had to walk four miles in the Texas heat over the border, I was one sweaty miserable son of a bitch but I made it back with the statue.

What the hell is it with us fellow Americans getting drunk and buying patriotic stuff?

Hey, how about you guys in the UK, do you ever get drunk and buy a Union Jack or Big Ben replica or something?

More recently I got inebriated and bought a 'War Games" movie poster replica for the JRI-RIGG office. I must say pretty sweet, I dodged the bullet though because I almost bought an original for over three hundred, the replica is just as good.

spinal Guest

For the most part I don't think we brits are all that patriotic in the first place. The store I work in has had the same couple of boxes of England flag merchandise in stock for about 3 years now. The scots seem to be a bit more patriotic with there iron brew and such.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spinal View Post
    For the most part I don't think we brits are all that patriotic in the first place.
    I think being told we are racist if we fly an English (not Union Jack) flag doesn't help.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

That shit is starting to creap in over here, fly the biggest one you can find.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Haven't had many stories yet. Should I throw out another one?

I bought a copy of the game 'Gadget: Past as Future' directly from Cryo's website. They shipped worldwide but the site and the order form had absolutely no accommodation for international purchasers. The order form was only available in French, which left me struggling a bit to remember what little I'd retained from school. This being pre-Euro, the price was in francs. So in addition I didn't have the slightest idea how much I was actually paying. This, for some reason, didn't bother me much at the time.

In due time my game did indeed arrive and it was *glorious*. And, thankfully, the game was in English.

Well, the responses are coming in, and there's been some good ones so far! I'll share one more.....

In the past few years, I've slowly been making small upgrades to my electronic drum set. Well, one night, while playing Magic (card game) with my friends, I pulled up what was going to be my next purchase, and showed him an example on e-bay.

20160612_005833[1].jpg

What you see above is a Roland PD-85, a huge step up from the PD-8 I was using. The PD-85 offers a mesh head and solid rim triggering. My PD-8 was a solid rubber sensor. So, huge step up. Well, me and my friends wrapped up our game of cards, and they headed home for the night. I have no clue what we were drinking, as my friend Forest had brought the drinks that night and prides himself on his drink mixing ability. Whatever it was tasted sweet but hit hard enough for me to sleep in a bit.

That's when my son struck.

20160612_005715[1].jpg

His heart was in the right place. He got up that night while dad was still in bed, and saw that ebay page that dad left open. Xavier knew that dad really wanted that drum pad for his drumset, and thought he would go ahead and help daddy out by buying it for him. So, without the money in my account to cover it, he hit buy it now. I got up the next day, and he said he got something for me. Two days later when I check my ebay account, I finally realized what had happened. Me and the wife and him still joke about it to this day (this happened maybe 3 or 4 years back.) At the time though, it left me with my checking account overdrawn, and me rushing to switch cash from savings to get it covered. Oops.

For those interested, below is a pic of the current version of my kit.

20160612_005850[1].jpg

Piff Merkin Guest

Here is a picture of my office. The War Games poster is on the upper left corner of the wall.
    JRI's Office.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast