• Raven

1 16.67%
  • C.O.D.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016.04 Top Ten Worst Pinball IPs

Blog Entries

Default 2016.04 Top Ten Worst Pinball IPs

Last edited by miner2049er; 25-04-16 at 11:21.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I'm not familiar with most of these titles, but I enjoyed Terminator 3 (even though Scott didn't) and I also know Johnny Mnemonic is actually a decent table. Waterworld was a neat idea, if poor execution. Richie Rich seems a typical comic book conversion, same as Bugs Bunny is a typical cartoon conversion. Q-Bert is a lil bit of an odd choice, but I can see it working. Raven just looks like someone couldn't get the rights to Rambo, and COD, I don't even know, but has a classic look to it. Superman is a great IP for a pinball. Tucson is an odd one, as well is Sahara Love, but for me, Humpty Dumpty stands out as an idiotic choice to base a pinball machine off of.

Blog Entries

An egg as a central character, that's never going to work................
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    An egg as a central character, that's never going to work................
    For me it didn't work. That includes Dizzy. Never was a Yolkfolk fan, although my only Dizzy experience was on the NES. On the other hand, I know you don't like Mega Man, whereas I'm a huge fan. To each their own.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

I will need to hear the discussion before passing judgement, BUT I would not consider Humpty Dumpty, COD (makes no sense, you can have that..), Raven, or Sahara Love to be IP's so much as theme. But that's nitpicking. I am surprised nobody picked Ballyhoo. If you don't like flipperless games, you could throw in Worlds Fair Jigsaw. Apollo/Blast Off/Lunar Shot as honorable mention for unrealistic depiction of a space program, maybe?

Kidding aside, my 4 picks assuming IP can refer to what I consider theme as well as licensed property..
    1. Big Ben. Sorry, British friends, this one just doesn't do it for me. Maybe the game is good, but the art work.. blah.
    2. Chicago Cubs World Series. Early 80s Gottlieb, yuck. If the game actually played well I would give it a pass but the gameplay is as weak as the board set.
    3. Roy Clark The Entertainer. Cocktail table pins never play well, and this is no exception. Imagine cutting the top half off a mid 70s EM then you have to sit down to play. On top of that the only Roy Clark thing about it is the name. It's a pin with a drawn picture of Roy Clark. And not a very good one.
    4. Hobbit. Yeah I really don't like this one. It plays way too slow and the modes don't really make sense.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    See the latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: www.holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

I almost picked Roy Clark, banjo playing hick, great theme.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Ha nice. Interesting discussion on this, but the whole time I was thinking of one of the TOPcast interviews.. Wayne Neyens or Steve Kordek, talking about the design process in the electromechanical era. One guy makes the whole machine as whitewood, then the art is farmed out to a graphics firm. Explains a lot of the themes that don't make sense. Good explanations on these, too. The fairy tale line around Humpty Dumpty makes a ton of sense, regardless of its absurdity. I give this era a little more of a pass, but COD and Tuscon deserve to be on the list for sure.

I think Bally's first pinball, Ballyhoo, was named after a magazine. But it looks like a halfway decent game for what it is, at least.

See the latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: www.holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Aaron Spelling pinball.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Compute View Post
    Aaron Spelling pinball.
    That is truly terrible.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

About that C.O.D game. Wasn't it a thing years ago to go out shopping and have the items delivered to your house, rather than take them with you out of the shop? Maybe it was a big city thing, or I'm just imagining it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast