Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS4 VR being released OCT 2016

Vipp Guest

Default PS4 VR being released OCT 2016

It's been a while since I first stuck my face into the soggy rubber facemask of the Nintendo Virtual boy at Retro revival in Wolverhampton and I can say with no regret that I was actually really surprised by what I found; I enjoyed the basic 3D games and didn;t even mind that they were in a vivid headache educing red colour, it all looked very nice and played well enough to keep my attention until 'that' headache began to sink in.... so what did the future hold for us back then in 1995? Well not a great deal....
    We were royally shafted but all was not lost... I realised that the price of that VR-boy at retro revival locked me out of any 3D fun however at that very same period in time the Nintendo 3DS was in it's death throws and they were selling them cheap at ASDA so I decided for better or worse that I would give one a go now rather than waiting for that inevitable dip in popularity when the prices hit rock bottom which inevitably leads to a price hike as eBay thugs try and push it out at crazy prices.

I didn;t regret it, In fact I actually use my 3DS more than any other console I own... including my PS4... yeah I'm surprised too... but I've loved my 3DS, pilot wings, Starfox, Rayman, super Mario 3d, I even have a few Sega Megadrive titles in 3D including Streets of Rage! not to mention that it plays my DS games too... So now I hear you say what's this all got to do with 3D mate?

The thing is having 3D anything at home was difficult for most of us, the VR-Boy wasn't something I had ever seen until revival and had the 3DS not been on sale I may have never bothered picking one up because the reputation of gadgets like these have been sullied from years of bad press and they are so expensive they lock out average income users like myself and so that brings me to this post...

The playstation 4 VR headset is retailing at 349.99p AND you need the PS4 camera, sold separately for 39.99p That's a total of 389.98 for our American friends that would be roughly $564.09 - Over here in the UK you can get a LOT of special offers on the PS4 for that cash which inevitably leaves average income households standing in the dust.

But if they don't sell well we know they won't be supported and if they aren't supported what's the point in buying it? this is the key argument for hardware like this and Sony don't seem to be doing much to help change that but maybe they don't have too; unlike the past where shit was hard to buy and that was life, now you can have a multitude of buying programs to help you ship that headset to your door. GAME in the UK even have a fledgling credit scheme now where if you spend over 250.00p you can get finance and the APR isn't terrible either, but is that enough to get most of us in the stores and buying this headset? I'd love to try it out but unless I get games like Skyrim, Fallout, Alien isolation, resident evil and a ton of retro goodies like Duke Nukem 3D and so on I'm not going to be satisfied... I for one couldn't give a toss what modern call of warfare in arms of the bad company shooting game has just been released, it's not my bag so VR will need to offer a lot more than the mainstream regurgitated stuff to get my dollar.

So here is a fantastic opportunity to get your fingers warmed up and your keyboard worn out... let us all know how you feel about VR and if you will be picking one up... what games would tempt you into buying it? It's been a while since we have a burning thread here and this is a great start.

Piff Merkin Guest

I will be picking one up. I predict V.R. is going to be a major shift in the gaming world. The difference of moving from an Atari to a PS4 is akin to going from a PS4 to PS4 with virtual.

I am looking forward to disaster games such as Plane Crash and Roller Coaster accident. Imagine a Splatoon type game. Great gaming times ahead.

I'm holding out for second gen headsets that hopefully are lower cost and have lower specs required (for the pc version).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Piff Merkin View Post
    I will be picking one up. I predict V.R. is going to be a major shift in the gaming world. The difference of moving from an Atari to a PS4 is akin to going from a PS4 to PS4 with virtual.

I am looking forward to disaster games such as Plane Crash and Roller Coaster accident. Imagine a Splatoon type game. Great gaming times ahead.
    I had no idea they had games planned mate, after a quick google search I can say the only things that spark interest are the Chernobyl game which I expect is a VR tour around pipryat which to be honest I would do in a heart beat and the cost of the plane tickets would be more than the VR headset so that might be my argument sorted. I also like the sound of visiting the moon or mars... haha but I'd still enjoy games like Turok dino hunter or resi evil in VR, that would sell it for me in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Leathco View Post
    I'm holding out for second gen headsets that hopefully are lower cost and have lower specs required (for the pc version).

Is that a good strategy mate? I assume the PS4 headset will get jail broken to play on PC's soon enough won't it buddy? What games are you looking forward to K?

drich255 Guest

Vipp, great topic. I am skeptical of VR. People that have tried prototypes at conventions and report back on podcasts almost always say it gave them motion sickness. I don't know how they will be able to solve that problem.

And do they have a solution for people who need to wear glasses? Kind of the same problem that 3D TVs have.

- - - Updated - - -

Piff Merkin may be right and that it is the future of gaming, but I won't be an early adopter. And as indie developers have shown, there is plenty of room for new 2D games that are fun, enjoyable, addicting, etc. We saw that with the N64 and Playstation. 3D games were heavily pushed, but later a game like Metroid Zero Mission comes out on the GBA and it is a big hit (to be fair, though, we expected a 3D Metroid on N64 and probably would have been disappointed if they had released a 2D N64 Metroid). And if Nintendo ever made a VR Zelda game, I would have to eat my words and open my wallet.

PS - Vipp, I too really enjoy the 3DS. I picked up the New 3DS and the 3D is much better. I almost always turned the 3D off on my original 3DS.

- - - Updated - - -

VR might be the line in the sand where I quit keeping up with modern gaming. It happens to some in every generation. For my older brother who did grow up with arcades, it was 3D gaming. Too complex for his taste. Crash Bandicoot and PS1 was as far as he got.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Vipp, great topic. I am skeptical of VR. People that have tried prototypes at conventions and report back on podcasts almost always say it gave them motion sickness. I don't know how they will be able to solve that problem.

And do they have a solution for people who need to wear glasses? Kind of the same problem that 3D TVs have.

Piff Merkin may be right and that it is the future of gaming, but I won't be an early adopter. And as indie developers have shown, there is plenty of room for new 2D games that are fun, enjoyable, addicting, etc. We saw that with the N64 and Playstation. 3D games were heavily pushed, but later a game like Metroid Zero Mission comes out on the GBA and it is a big hit (to be fair, though, we expected a 3D Metroid on N64 and probably would have been disappointed if they had released a 2D N64 Metroid). And if Nintendo ever made a VR Zelda game, I would have to eat my words and open my wallet.

PS - Vipp, I too really enjoy the 3DS. I picked up the New 3DS and the 3D is much better. I almost always turned the 3D off on my original 3DS.

VR might be the line in the sand where I quit keeping up with modern gaming. It happens to some in every generation. For my older brother who did grow up with arcades, it was 3D gaming. Too complex for his taste. Crash Bandicoot and PS1 was as far as he got.
    Thanks mate, I'd like to see the forum get back to it's old busy self again so thanks for adding your two pence! - From the perspective of a non-glasses user I have to be honest and say it never occurred to me what people who need specs would do in this situation, but now you mention it that does make you think, that can't be a great situation to be in. Does that effect your 3DS too mate?

On the note of the new 3DS I was chuffed to see SNES games on the virtual console for my 3DS but I can only buy them if I upgrade my 3DS which boils my blood because Nintendo really don't care about being seen to be dicks like that, they could let me have SNES games on my 3DS however the fact that I could play super Mario world on my 3DS is awesome so I may have to upgrade!

Lets hope you and Piff are right, if it is the future of gaming we will all be able to buy into it one day, my only concern is now and always will be for the people like me who are from low income families, it's not nice being the only kid in the playground who can't afford a sega or Nintendo and this is no different, new tech should be accessible for all generations not just those with parents who have good jobs.

If that Chernobyl game is for real I may have to get the PS4 VR, I'm not a PC user really so any PC VR will have to wait in my case.

As far as games I am looking forward too, aaaaaaaaaahh for the awesome is the first one for me.

drich255 Guest

Vipp, thanks for asking, but actually I don't wear glasses. I just thought it would be problematic for VR. Maybe someone else could weigh in on wearing glasses with a 3DS. I can't imagine it would interfere. I love the 3DS games and that it plays DS games, I just wasn't crazy about how the 3D looked on the original. It is a bummer that they don't allow SNES games on the older models (apparently the original 3DS can't keep up with 25 year old HW???). And since I have bought a lot of those games on Wii U already, I won't be buying them again on the 3DS (another silly move from Nintendo). Hopefully they will support cross platform purchases in the future (but I won't hold my breath).

You mentioned Pilot Wings, I also really enjoyed it on the 3DS. I haven't purchased the SNES version yet, but I have been tempted. Wish they would release the N64 version.

Other than the cost, the motion sickness is my biggest concern for VR.

Minecraft is another example of an area where I have given up on modern gaming. My daughters also have no interest in Minecraft (14 and 16), but I believe many of their classmates are into it.

I can confirm the 3ds works with glasses, as I wear glasses and can see the 3d effect just fine.

Vipp Guest

As far as games I am looking forward too, aaaaaaaaaahh for the awesome is the first one for me.

Mate I have played that game and I can imagine having that in your face would activate brown trouser time for me. But I can see how that might be fun given that you would be immersed in it!

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    I love the 3DS games and that it plays DS games, I just wasn't crazy about how the 3D looked on the original. It is a bummer that they don't allow SNES games on the older models (apparently the original 3DS can't keep up with 25 year old HW???). And since I have bought a lot of those games on Wii U already, I won't be buying them again on the 3DS (another silly move from Nintendo). Hopefully they will support cross platform purchases in the future (but I won't hold my breath).

You mentioned Pilot Wings, I also really enjoyed it on the 3DS. I haven't purchased the SNES version yet, but I have been tempted. Wish they would release the N64 version.

Other than the cost, the motion sickness is my biggest concern for VR.

Minecraft is another example of an area where I have given up on modern gaming. My daughters also have no interest in Minecraft (14 and 16), but I believe many of their classmates are into it.
    Tell me about it mate, Nintendo only realy puit in what they need too so that limits them a great deal but also saves them cash so I doubt they will change soon, I haven't seen the 3D on the new screens yet but I've been told it's an improvement, I agree with your post previously that I do tend to turn my 3D off after about 40 mins so it would be great if the New 3DS stps that being an issue. The pilot wings on the SNES is brilliant mate! I remember the first time I ever booted that game up on a SNES, you get to put your name in the pilot licence and back then I was young enough to believe it was like a Gran Tourismo style game that had some actual truth to it so I was thrilled to be flying a Bi-Plane! I loved Bi-Planes then and I still love em now! So lets hope they do release that version, I haven't played on an N64 much apart from Goldeneye at a mates but the controller locked me out of bothering with that system, it was like holding a dinosaurs arse with buttons on it. HAHA!

Minecraft is a mystery to me mate, I saw it arrive and I see it in popular culture and I've worked with disabled kids who love to play it but it has no attraction to me at all, it's just bricks? i'll keep my Sonics and fallouts. It's good that your kids don't take to it, it seems everybody's family has some form of MC in their home.

Imagine the motion sickness Leathco will be getting when he boots up AAAaaaaAaaAAAaaaaAAAAAaaahhh! on his VR set! Better still I'd love to play Monkey Ball on VR if you were in the ball! That would be awesome until I vomit!

I can confirm the 3ds works with glasses, as I wear glasses and can see the 3d effect just fine.

Nice one Lethco, what about VR mate, do you need any mods to enable your glasses to fit into a VR headset? or do they take that into account anyway? Also mate how do you feel about motion sickness? Do you get bothered by it?

This thread is going well, lets keep her going folks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.