1 11.11%
  • Joust (2600)

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016.02 Top Ten Multi Player Console/Computer Games

Blog Entries

Default 2016.02 Top Ten Multi Player Console/Computer Games

Top Ten Multi Player Console/Computer Games
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Vipp Guest

I was going to vote for Micromachines because frankly i think it's one of the best retro games ever (for team playing) but then i got to thinking about the old Stalking The Retro Drunken M.U.L.E jokes and how many times we all managed to play that game and how much fun it was so i vote for M.U.L.E. Long live STR and i'm still hoping for a reunion episode with Indie, Willy and septic - a fresh Drunken M.U.L.E 2016!

Great top ten!

Blog Entries

Some great picks in my absence but some I would have booted as well.

Micro Machines is great, Warlords is great, I was a late comer to multiplayer MULE but that too is a good pick.

I just love Bomberman more.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

love bomberman, but has to be Mule for me 100s of our playing that we my mates. But was on the 800xl, and not one of them silly consoles ;-)
    Check out my video gaming blog http://www.zxspectrum16k.co.uk

drich255 Guest

I voted for Contra, but really wanted to vote for Warlords and Joust too! Great picks!

I have never played Micro Machines 2, but will be checking it out.

drich255 Guest

Glad Combat got an honorable mention.

More honorable mentions:
    --Contra is a classic, but Contra III for the SNES is the better game (marred by a weird overhead mode).
    --Bubble Bobble has also gotten a lot of love on the show before.
    --Never played them, but the traditional Pokemon games with the ability to trade and battle others with the link cable.
    --Some obvious popular N64 titles: GoldenEye 007, Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, etc.
    --The N64 versions of Dr. Mario and Tetris have nice four player modes.
    --The SNES Tetris/Dr. Mario combo cart also has a nice two player challenge mode that combines the two games in sort of the Nintendo World Champions style.
    --More fight and go right games -- Ninja Turtles and Battletoads
    --Super Mario World had alternating turns, but you cleared the map together (if you beat a level, the other guy could move on). It was fun to eventually complete the game together. SMB3 introduced that idea, but SMW game-saves allowed for continual progress and less repetition of the early levels (in addition to a wide variety of levels and challenges). Plus SMB3 didn't allow you to go back and replay levels that were cleared, SMW did (including finding alternate exits and paths, as well as powering up your guy or banking some extra lives).
    --A modern game (with retro gameplay) -- WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) includes a 12 player mode (random turn based, fast paced party game).

Very difficult choice for me between MULE and Warlords. MULE has a wonderful atmosphere and a perfect mix of different sections that all work together. Warlords has gorgeous, silky gameplay. But for me MULE just pipped Warlords to the post for the strategic depth.

For my own contribution, I suggest Summer Games on the C64. It looks great, it's filled with amusing secrets, it's exciting to play with multiple players and most of all the rhythm-based controls were a breath of fresh air after the arm-breaking joystick waggling in other multi-event sport games. And, quite honestly, as the only sport I like is football a game with any other athletics has to be brilliant just to be able to hold my interest.

Contra all the way!
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

Street fighter 2. It rejuvenated arcades plus was one of the few games to get mass full price rereleases with only minor content updates.

Sent from my Fire Phone using Tapatalk

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett View Post
    For my own contribution, I suggest Summer Games on the C64.
    Great pick! We had a lot of fun with that and the other ones like it. Games that you could share on a single computer keyboard/joystick fit the bill nicely (and prevented the other player from getting bored waiting for a turn).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast