Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro VGS...Round 2 (AKA Coleco Chameleon)

Perhaps if it does become a viable product but in name only, Scott can go ahead and shoot a couple of 50 cal rounds into one and put his "seal of approval" on it.

Gotta look at the positives. I'll be waiting for the video of that.
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by focusrs View Post
    There were several mistakes made with the RVGS campaign. Mike took the brunt of it unfortunately. There is a new engineering team behind it now (not the same one that did the RGVS), changes have been made but functionality is still there. They did listen to the suggestions and critisizms and are working towards a more affordable solution based on that.

The new owner of the Coleco Brand, Chris Cardillo was looking for something for the brand to relaunch it and the RVGS fit the bill, so it got the Coleco Brand.

being part of the team, I am privy to quite a bit but there will be much more info released soon through the official channels.

If I am to be accused of drinking the kool aid, then so be it. I have faith in Mike and what he is trying to do.

Coleco invited me to the toy fair in new york to be there with the working prototype of the Coleco Chameleon , so I am very excited about it!

I only hope RGRU listeners remember who Mike is and give him the benefit of the doubt, he has a good heart.
    Thanks Focus! I really do hope the best for you and SoCal. As much as I miss SoCal as a host, I am glad he has moved on. He was too often the butt of the jokes. It wasn't a healthy relationship to be in. Since you are friends with everyone, no need to reply or comment.

Time to let bygones be bygones.

Piff Merkin Guest

That is awesome which arcade machine are you buying?
    Last edited by Piff Merkin; 22-12-15 at 04:06. Reason: forgot quote.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately what socal has done, and the depth of it is unknown to everyone posting here other than UK Mike and myself, is to glean a tremendous amount of work and investment (often based on the promise of future compensation) only to transfer the assets and work to a new company to isolate those stakeholders from the new projects success. Draining the resources from the auction/magazine company to launch the console in the certainty that the console would succeed and then back-fund the original project was foolish and wiped out the investment value of people who bought into the original company. Using the resources of the original company to purchase tooling and then starting a new company... well that is being looked into as actionable. I am betting none of this was disclosed to the firm licensing the Coleco name.

And something that is very obvious if you know enough people involved is that socal's ability to build a console began and ended with an idea, that was the extent of his ability. Everything else came from people who worked with him to give him a roadmap to turn his idea into an actual product were stakeholders, and those people were all shed as soon as he thought he had enough info to move forward without them. There is a sizeable group of people who were thrown under the bus and their contributions minimized or denied. Some of them we can mention and some are well known to us but don't want their names circulated in association with this debacle. Socal had many chances presented to him to undo the tangled mess but he forged right ahead.

Most recently he even threw John Carlson under the bus as being responsible for tanking RVGS. As much comedy gold as he has provided us with that is just wrong. I guarantee John was never told about the three previous designers that came before him and likely was unaware of the assets and PI transfers. In an interview published on ARS Technica Socal claimed that John Carlson autonomously ran away with the design and pushed it overbudget designing a Rolls Royce that priced them out of the market as if John did it all beyond his control.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    Unfortunately what socal has done, and the depth of it is unknown to everyone posting here other than UK Mike and myself......
    It sounds like he may of started out with good intentions and then got in over his head and just kept making it worse trying to see this through and screwed over everyone else in the process. It all sounds like a mess. Even if it succeeds as a product, the potential lawsuits could eat up all profits and then some. Assuming he doesn't run into legal issues from the choices he made. But I can only guess.

I can only guess that if it does succeed, then he can be given a chance to make it right.
    Last edited by TripHamer; 23-12-15 at 06:01.

Blog Entries

What you say has a certain truth to it, and I think you summed up a few things well. Socal had a dream and I have defended that dream even after what he pulled. All he wanted to do was launch a cartridge based system that would cut the cord and allow you to play the games forever. Yes he started with pure intentions but he lacked two things. The first was the knowledge to turn an idea into a physical result. This is a great parallel to the story of Atari where Nolan had the idea but Ted and later Al made those ideas into results. An idea man has value, but an idea man needs to have loyalty to those who turn it into reality unless your clever enough to screw them after you have all the contributions, some are and some aren’t. The second thing he lacked was the funding to make it happen, he just could not write the check to put the things on the shelf. This is where I think he went wrong and most of the problems came from and also it resulted in a embrace of problem #1. He tried fund raising through Indiegogo after not having the resources to meet Kickstarter criteria and if you look at the whole mess the whole drama was him trying to get work done, shed contributors, create a new company to give shares in return for participation, over and over. Trying to build an organization without the financial resources to do so. Some people on Atari Age have hit on this, critical of including company expenses in the original crowd source funding and such. I don't see how he could undo this. My terms and conditions would be to acknowledge all contributors and consolidate the company to the original contributors, not a likely path.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Probably the best thing that can happen is that it doesn't succeed, or at least not that much.

At the very least I would think that a lot of lessons have been learned and that can be useful. But the dream doesn't have to die. There are a lot of people "in the know" that were able to rip this idea apart, so, what if the "community" got together and designed a dream console that most can be happy with? Leaders will eventually emerge and a company can be formed and resources put together. Eventually specs will be locked down and crowd funding can begin. Even if funding never happens, it can exist as an "open source" design. Hey, it can even be called: "The Roundup...Unplugged Gaming for the Masses".

If the right people get together, it can happen.

Just thinking out loud here.

The thread on Atari Age will probably not be unlocked since someone tied to the Coleco Chameleon has sent AtariAge a Cease and Desist letter.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247.../#entry3399702

I believe I will be receiving one sooner than later for my articles detailing the twists and turns of this event.
    The Phoenix will be revealed soon...

Blog Entries

Wow.

Just Wow.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Double WOW!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast