Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Retro VGS...Round 2 (AKA Coleco Chameleon)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byte Knight View Post
    Interesting how SoCal has become a bigger villain than the Deaf CD Thief. I sense a hack of CGE Adventures: you're SoCal trying to capture the golden prototype from the fake hardware engineers at the Toy Fair, only to discover that it's a SNES in the end and you get hauled off to jail!
    Hmmm..........

It's New York Toy Fair: The Text Adventure

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/ga...fair/index.php
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Woohoo! I made it out with all of my precious components! New York Toy Fair, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Todd, do you have a jpg of the Elvis character?

I need it for CGE Web Adventures.
    I don't have it handy. I'm sure it's in our group PM on AtariAge.
    Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service - Upgrade your flimsy FB to the Ultimate Flashback!
    2600 Games - DK Arcade 2600, EMR II, Epic Adventure, CGE Adventures

Blog Entries

Yeah, found it, thanks.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Blog Entries

I will just cut and paste my reply to Socal's wall of text on AA, link to the post on AA here because it has better formatting of the quotes: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247...9#entry3484451

It is astonishing how he thinks the delete button sends out some magic Men in Black sort of flash that erases everyone's memory. I just find it amazing that Socal would say oh Scott just made a phone call when the interview is out there detailing so much more involvement in Steve's own words. The interview with the RVGS team was a special moment, Socal had already dropped me from the team and we discovered the first part of the trail where the molds and development work had been moved to a new company, but Socal was so confident that he was going to come on RGRUP and have us fawn all over him and his new people. In what world was that going to ever happen, do UK and I look like a couple of cucs? The interview was done to document the backstory because we knew it would be needed later, it was funny because we had a checklist of topics to run through regarding UK's and my involvement and totally unprompted Steve rattles off most of it. I totally lost interest when they started in on the stuff about not wanting to reveal vendor relationships, the only relationship you would have with a vendor at that number of parts orders would be to have them direct you to their website where the volume discounts are already posted. I knew they had nothing and then I was proven right a few days later with the famous RVGS labs video.

So why would I want to attach my name (and UK's as well since he also participated in some early concept development) to such a failure? Well common sense would dictate not doing so, but what I realized early on in this is that Socal has a history of using other people's work and then denigrating their role later and claiming credit for it all as his original work and I would rather be associated with this disaster than submit to that. The true story about the mag is about to come out, and it will be somewhat similar to the RVGS story. Many people overlooked the Steve Sawyer interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl754JuG1vw

Steve is a loon, and as many know made death threats against Socal which is totally unacceptable, but why was he so mad? If you listen to the interview Steve tells the truth, he may be many things but he is not a liar. He had partnered with Socal to do this newsletter turned mag and was doing all the heavy lifting and I know what Steve is claiming is true because I was in the car with them riding all over LA during E3 while they were having many of these conversations. Socal was working with Steve as a partner right up until the Kickstarter then suddenly Steve was totally absent from the team and the thing gets funded and there is Socal publishing their project and he was totally cut out of it, and it obviously pissed him off. The guy that replaced Steve was never told where all this came from, Socal presented it as his original idea and Sawyer was never mentioned. His replacement did an awesome job of turning the mag into a real pro project though, the new layout and kickstarter was all his work. Then when Sawyer's name was brought up what did Socal have to say, that he wrote a few sloppy articles but was never really a part of it, and when his replacement was fired Socal claimed he was difficult to work with and didn't respect him as CEO etc. and that he really didn't do much. I was not about to join that fraternity. Now please be careful to understand that I am not claiming the console was my idea, that was Socal's idea 100% but that is all it was, and idea without the funding or structure to turn it into a product. I was the first person Socal came to and he asked me two questions, did I think there was a market and could such a thing be built, and the rest is history! In all of this either Socal got scammed by his own scam or Sean was just another engineer given shifting goals, impossible schedules and budgets, either way I don't much care he got what was coming to him. One more morsel that was largely overlooked was Clay Cowgill's comments when he said very clearly that he showed Socal the dev plan and put a price tag on it of about $70k and Socal asked for smoke and mirrors for the kickstarter in response.

Anyway, on to the AA post I made responding to the wall of text.

There were only (4) engineers (or people) EVER working on this project with Steve Woita and myself ( and in the beginning there were two working together) despite what Scott Schreiber has been spewing. And none were EVER working simultaneously on the project. And Scott had nothing to do with much of anything and was never considered to be “working” on this project. Has he ever produced and shown anything he was working on? Nope!

All of this is clearly disproved in the RVGS interview when Steve Woita describes all the conference calls I participated in and we discuss my work, MK was in that interview and didn't present one opposition to those statements. Have a listen to that interview here: http://www.retrogami...091_2015.09.php

To understand how this ended, I want to direct your attention back to the early times of this venture, early to middle 2014. At this time, my first choice to design the system, Curt Vendel (who Scott Schreiber helped introduce me to thus ending his minimal involvement in the venture) decided he wouldn’t have the time to devote to this venture and opted out soon and never got started.

True/False. At my direction Curt was contacted to be part of the project. I felt the two of us could work more efficiently because he had a wealth of experience in console design (my background is in missile guidance, avionics, and satellites so it would take me longer going solo on the design) and I loved the idea of working with him and it was unfortunate we didn't get the chance. With Curt unable to participate I was not off the project by any means, and again at the time the stated plan was to stand up the studio side first so I was ok with the extra time. Again, most of that was touched on during the interview.

At this time I researched others that could step in and bring this product to fruition and that lead me to Clay Cowgill.

Sean and Clay are the two guys I have mentioned came after me, I never used their names because they asked to be left out of it so I left it anonymous but I knew it was them shortly after they started, no hard feelings toward them.

I noticed MK glossed over the first fake prototype that was shown for the Indiegogo, I suppose Carlson was a minion of Mr Lee setting MK up as well? As to the Indiegogo courting him, he was desperate to get back on Kickstarter, here is the Whatsapp chat:

15/09/2015, 14:22 - Mike Kennedy: Interview is good with no changes
    15/09/2015, 14:52 - Mike James: Cool
    15/09/2015, 16:29 - Mike Kennedy: Mike- slim chance we might go back to Kickstarter.
    Can you do some
    Edits and remove the Indiegogo talk if needed?
    15/09/2015, 17:56 - Mike James: I'm working on my new house day and night this week
    but if you can send me time stamps for the edits, yes.

(Thanks Eli! For stepping in with his SNES multicart in place of Sean’s glitching out SD card driven demo cartridge).

As identified in this thread we reviewed the SD2SNES on RGRUP and MK knew what one was, it was only glitching because the power supply used is a cheap aftermarket one that can't supply enough current to the FPGA used on the multicart, the same issue we discussed on the show in regards to the portable SNES not being able to support it on battery alone. And remember MK claimed that the SD2SNES was a special unit developed by Mr Lee.

I made a comment that it looked great (in the photos) and he responded by saying something like “this is what we can do when given the proper time.” Keep in mind, these pictures were to combat the criticism of the “fake” Toy Fair prototype and were given to me by him to post on Facebook to show people the real “prototype”.

No mention of the Pic being deleted from FB the night it was identified! And he emailed me and UKMike the next morning claiming he just saw them.

Scott,

I saw the photo you posted last night and about fell out of bed. I need to talk with you please. Can I call you in an hour?

Mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2016
    Subject: Console
    To: Kennedy Mike <socalmike@gamegavel.com>

Hey Mike,

Is it over now?

Three fakes is a lot dude. Sell the molds and move on.

--
    d-_-b
    Regards
    Mike James
    Retro Gaming Roundup
    --

--
    Mike Kennedy, Founder & President
    RETRO Media Network

After it was learned that we essentially had a SNES duck taped in my console shell I decided to delay the Kickstarter because it was always my intention to show off the prototype completely in the campaign video, open it up and show it running and playing games from at least two different systems.

Jag Bar already shot that down, unless he is also a minion of Mr Lee?

I have way more integrity and respect for this hobby to pull that shit.

I was left in a terrible spot at this point and I had a decision to make that evening at the hotel. Do I take this thing apart and see what was in it and quit the show or continue on with the show,

In the end, I am the only one that has lost anything, money, potential opportunity and my reputation in this hobby.

Coleco's reputation was unfairly damaged

John Carleson was publicly trashed by MK http://arstechnica.c...tridge-console/

My shares of GameGavel are worthless

The console conceived, created, and developed under GameGavel/Retro with the name stamped right on the front before the 2nd or 3rd companies even existed was removed from GG/Retro and destroyed

Piko interactive was put on the spot

Collectorvision was made to look foolish

etc.

etc.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

So this just popped up in my facebook feed.....(words highlighted by me)

RETRO Replay: Vol. 1 (SPECIAL 200-PAGE COLLECTOR EDITION) DIGITAL DOWNLOAD
    http://shopreadretro.com/collections...nt=19273989572

Umm.....digital.....collector.....edition? For the guy that collects those rare digital mags?

th.jpg

Default FocusRS (Willie!) is SUPER PISSED!

I just found out today that SocalMike has been selling off items I loaned him for the ColecoVisions podcast show on ebay! What the FUCK!!!!!

I stood by that fucker through all the fiasco, took quite a bit of heat trying to remain neutral and still be a friend. Have not really said anything about the whole mess and this is how I get repaid?

Check out these pictures. These are the tabletops I sent him (Galaxian and Donkey Kong, cant remember if I sent frogger) for ColecoVisions so we could cover them. He did not pay for them, they were loaned. now he is selling them instead of returning them to me. As you can see the donkey kong in his auction is the one I sent him that was not to be sold! I also sent him a Bandai Blockout I paid for and loaned to him, and also the coleco alien attack. I have sent other things to him as well that I just cant remember right now due to being so frickin pissed.

1512598_587275538007587_387863129_n.jpg

Here is the donkey kong from his auction

dk.jpg

Notice the exact same decal damage?

The galaxian and donkey kong he sold off were repaired units that may not even hold up which he did not mention when he sold it. here is the insides when I cobbled it together so we could cover it on the podcast.

1545063_587275664674241_733014885_n.jpg1551584_587275728007568_1894259085_n.jpg

I feel sorry for the people who just bought these, he knew they were repaired but said nothing in the auctions. Had I caught them while they were live I could have notified ebay or something especially with the donkey kong as I have the orginal pic when I had it to repair.

Funny how none of these were sold on Gamegavel. Oh Wait, its another Scam site to get people to list items for him to snag cheaply due to no traffic over there.......

needless to say I am EXTREMELY PISSED OFF!!!

As Scott and UK told me - "uses you then dumps you" is 100 percent true!
    Twitter @ArcadeUSA
    Arcade USA Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512
    The ColecoVisions Podcast Blog - http://colecovisions...t.blogspot.com/
    The Atari 5200 Super Podcast Blog - http://the5200superp...t.blogspot.com/
    Intarivisions Podcast Blog - http://intarivisions.blogspot.com/
    Contributor on Gamester81.com - http://gamester81.com/arcade-usa/

Blog Entries

Man that really sucks.

There must be a way to recoup that loss if not the actual units.

Might still be worth notifying ebay so they lock his account.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Man focus, I'm really sorry to see this. I wanted to give the guy a chance at redemption but this is really scummy.

This needs to hit the news outlets. At this point, if Mike is going to be head of Retro mag, that mag either needs to die or face serious competition here in the US. I have experience as a layout artist for a local newspaper a few years back, and I'm beginning to get an idea. A FREE, downloadable PDF retro gaming magazine. Including actual retro content, not modern with some callouts to old games like Retro does. Articles from people respected in the gaming industry.

I'm thinking I may actually want to do this. I'm not sure if I can get others involved though, as I am a nobody in the retro community. But at this point, something needs done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Yes I need to.

He offered to send me the cash but I refused, I told him to refund the buyers and get the units back and send to me. I dont care about the money, its the principle of it. He said he thought I "gave" him the minicades which in a way I did, but I also stated in the same breath that these were not to be sold but returned to me when he was done with them. it went from retrurn to me to lets sell and get some free money and rip off even more people in the community. I really wish I could get ahold of the people that bought these so I can send them the pictures showig them in my possession and the repairs that were made.

He also sold of the coleco Alien Attack I gave him, but that one was ok as I did "give" that one to him and it was fine. It was for his collection so this one is a mute point.

The Bandai Blockout I paid for and sent to him to mess around with and he tried to sell it also but still has it.

Now that I have confronted him on all this, he has gone silent once again..... I am soooooo pisssed off. been stewing all afternoon. I am now following his ebay account ready to pounce. I only wish I caught the galaxian and donkey kong to have stopped them from being sold off. I feel bad for the buyers who purchased them. I have made posts on Atariage and also on Colecovisions podcast facebook, arcade usa twitter and such on all this hopeful that these people get the word so they get their money back.

What the hell happened to Mike anyway, went from a nice all around guy to money grubbing scammer. I am to the mindset that Gamegavel needs to go away and RETRO magazine, he needs to get all the way out of the community.

I am one guy that stood by him, now that he is on my bad side. look out.....

I only wish I listened to you UK and Scott earlier! Focus is a dumbass, a trusting dumbass that got taken for a ride.

Can you tell I am pissed! Just wait until the next Colecovisions, I will have to do a lot of editing to remove the cussing. I am also inclined to make a video about this situation.

Trying to cool off this afternoon though, going to go play some Just Cause 3 and destroy some shit!
    Twitter @ArcadeUSA
    Arcade USA Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/SVT512
    The ColecoVisions Podcast Blog - http://colecovisions...t.blogspot.com/
    The Atari 5200 Super Podcast Blog - http://the5200superp...t.blogspot.com/
    Intarivisions Podcast Blog - http://intarivisions.blogspot.com/
    Contributor on Gamester81.com - http://gamester81.com/arcade-usa/

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast