Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Retro VGS...Round 2 (AKA Coleco Chameleon)

focusrs Guest

There were several mistakes made with the RVGS campaign. Mike took the brunt of it unfortunately. There is a new engineering team behind it now (not the same one that did the RGVS), changes have been made but functionality is still there. They did listen to the suggestions and critisizms and are working towards a more affordable solution based on that.

The new owner of the Coleco Brand, Chris Cardillo was looking for something for the brand to relaunch it and the RVGS fit the bill, so it got the Coleco Brand.

being part of the team, I am privy to quite a bit but there will be much more info released soon through the official channels.

If I am to be accused of drinking the kool aid, then so be it. I have faith in Mike and what he is trying to do.

Coleco invited me to the toy fair in new york to be there with the working prototype of the Coleco Chameleon , so I am very excited about it!

I only hope RGRU listeners remember who Mike is and give him the benefit of the doubt, he has a good heart.

random_dave Guest

Dangit, a whole new set of memes incoming, and I'm nowhere near finished with the clothing designs for the last ones

As long as it's a serious product and not something similar to the At games Colecovison but with a cartridge port slapped onto it.
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by focusrs View Post
    I only hope RGRU listeners remember who Mike is and give him the benefit of the doubt, he has a good heart.
    Trouble is, RGRU listeners haven't seen that Mike for a couple of years. We all want the old Mike back, not the Mike who missed Live News frequently and never listened back to the podcast.

I know I have audio somewhere of Mike slamming somebody for name whoring too. That's also part of the problem as he is now doing it himself. This is no more a Coleco product than CGE Adventures is.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

focusrs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    Trouble is, RGRU listeners haven't seen that Mike for a couple of years. We all want the old Mike back, not the Mike who missed Live News frequently and never listened back to the podcast.

I know I have audio somewhere of Mike slamming somebody for name whoring too. That's also part of the problem as he is now doing it himself. This is no more a Coleco product than CGE Adventures is.
    It is unfortunate this has polarized so many people Makes it hard being caught in the middle as I consider you all very good friends Just trying to be a friend and provide support.

Blog Entries

We would all love to see a happy ending and who's to say what's around the bend.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Piff Merkin Guest

Default Time works like that

We would all love to see a happy ending and who's to say what's around the bend.
    All I know for sure is when coming out with a product/console it normally takes years of testing and working out bugs. You can't just make it and shoot it out quickly without there being a massive wave of upset customers if in fact you did not take it through a proper testing phase. Time works like that.

The branding deal (Colecovision) will for sure bring one thing, added cost to the product what else it brings is yet to show itself.

Obviously just slapping a name on it doesn't make it a Colecovision. So what would? Does it need the original people designing it? Or can you have new people who, design something modern "in the spirit" of what made the Colecovision the Colecovision? May be an interesting topic for discussion.

My only real issue with buying one would be if there's any "bad blood" (so to speak) between Socal and Scott and UK Mike. Assuming the new "Coleco" is worthy of buying that is. I would be kinda uncomfortable crossing that line, so I would factor that in to my decision.
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TripHamer View Post
    Obviously just slapping a name on it doesn't make it a Colecovision. So what would?
    The problem isn't that it is not a Coleco, or that the original was a Retro VGS. The problem, for me anyway, is Mike chasing the dollar at the expense of all else, be that friends, reputation or common sense.

The thing is, he is now in a position where he has to chase the dollar as he bought the Jag molds and needs that expense recouped.

Slapping Coleco on it doesn't fool anybody reading this because we know better. All it does is fool people, including lazy journalists, who don't read any further than that name and assume it is a Coleco product. There is no other reason to whore out a name on a product like this.

My only real issue with buying one would be if there's any "bad blood" (so to speak) between Socal and Scott and UK Mike.
    I would be kinda uncomfortable crossing that line, so I would factor that in to my decision.
    You shouldn't.

The product should stand or fall on its merits and I believe it will, either way.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I committed nearly $1000aud to the Indiegogo campaign. I like SoCal and thought I'd back it as I liked the idea behind playing games like tiny knight & shovel knight on a cartridge. I didn't need a prototype because I trusted SoCal would deliver.
    I have been a retro mag subscriber since issue 1 (have 2 copies of issue 1, one still in plastic) but I don't think I'll be renewing again. The issues lately are never on time and how the Indiegogo campaign went just left me annoyed.
    I have since moved on using the money towards an arcade machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast