Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proud Pinball Owner!

bjones371 Guest

Default Proud Pinball Owner!

So I'm finally living the dream and own a pin table! It's a Data East Batman built in September 1991. In pretty good condition, all coils have been redone and rubbers replaced recently. Little bit of visible bare wood in the cabinet which needs filling and painting but nothing sinister. Some lamp holders missing, so I'm considering the LED conversion kits I've seen on Marco's Specialties. Vertical lines on the DMD which I'm guessing are coming from a faulty ribbon cable. And one of the rubber sleeved posts has snapped so need to find some of those.

Looking forward to giving it a thorough play test in the next few days and seeing how it runs.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

...and you'll have to sell it with the house if you move, rather than get it out again.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

bjones371 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    ...and you'll have to sell it with the house if you move, rather than get it out again.
    I'm never moving. Ever. Bad enough the first time.

It was actually a pretty straightforward process once I'd thought about it. For an hour.

1. Remove from car
    2. Fit legs
    3. Carry table to front door
    4. Realise backbox is too wide to fit through the front door
    5. Spend 20 minutes finding the nuts for the bolts holding the hinges on (hidden behind black stickers BTW)
    6. Spend 10 minutes hammering away at a screwdriver to try and separate the rusted in bolt
    7. Finally remove hinge bolts and lift backbox away from playfield
    8. Spin backbox 90 degrees without agitating cable looms too much, so it fits through the front door
    9. Realise that the hallway is too narrow for the table to spin round and go through the door into the dining room
    10. Fit the backbox hinges again
    11. Fold the backbox down and secure it with strapping
    12. Stand the table on it's back
    13. Realise the legs are now sticking out horizontally which means the table still won't spin through the door in the hallway
    14. Remove the legs
    15. Spin the table round so it's facing in the dining room
    16. Realise that the dining room door is in the way
    17. Remove the dining room door
    18. Put the legs back on
    19. Stand the table on it's legs
    20. Realise that the sideboard in the dining room is keeping me from standing the table up
    21. Lay the pin on it's back again and push the sideboard out of the way, dragging the trunking for some cabling off the wall in the process
    22. Stand the table on it's legs

See how simple that was? Totally worth it.

The process seems more effective if you do it while it's dark and raining like I did by the way.

random_dave Guest

Not the first time somethings backbox has been too wide to fit through Bens front door

bjones371 Guest

So the project on getting the thing in slightly better shape is underway! Grabbed some 8mm threaded bar to provide proper feet for the rear of the table, at the minute the angle is too shallow making it a little easy. Ordered a rubber post which is on the way to me. My questions now are:

Is an LED playfield and back box conversion kit worth it? And if so, is it easy to fit? I wouldn't be doing the flashers just yet, too pricy.

Any ideas what the DMD issue could be? Vertical lines every handful of dots. I've reseated the ribbon cable with no joy.

I think the playfield may need cleaning, the ball doesn't roll too smoothly. May be solved by getting the angle adjusted, but is there a recommended way to clean/NOT clean it?

The issue with the DMD can be caused by a broken pin connection of the metal terminals to the glass.

Sometimes these pins breaks up and you loose the connection to the dots and you end up loosing rows or collumns. I think this possibility is worth checking because a visual inspection can confirm this to you before trying to repair the board.

If this is the case you will have to order a new DMD or you can try what this guy did:

http://www.guddler.co.uk/projects/pindmd.html

I have a Super Mario Bros and I have lost the last column for this problem. In my case, I do not think my trouble is worth buying a new DMD or attempting a repair like this (i am too affraid of making it worse).

Best luck.

bjones371 Guest

So I realise it's been a while since I posted an update on this... The good news is my DMD is now fully functioning again! It turned out to be a faulty SN74HC153 multiplexer on the DMD driver circuit board, a 1.30 ($2) component that when replaced fixed the whole thing in one swoop!

Since then I've also replaced all the leg levellers (2 were very rusty and 2 were missing altogether), polished and cleaned up the playfield using Novus 1 and 2, and done an LED conversion on the inserts and GI lamps.

I've genuinely had almost as much fun working on it as I have playing it so far, an excellent hobby to have.

Blog Entries

I think we need video to prove it.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

bjones371 Guest

https://youtu.be/irNTNM6bMf4

Looky Looky Shiny Shiny

Blog Entries

Ooh shiny.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.