Thread: Super Mario Bros 3 - Virtual Console Screen Glitches.

Vipp Guest

Default Super Mario Bros 3 - Virtual Console Screen Glitches.

Has anyone played SM3 on Virtual Console yet? A while back i was on Stalking the Retro and mentioned that it has a black border line on the left hand side of the screen, it was annoying the heck out of me as the screen is tiny in the first place, and it already has a border on both sides as it is...

Well recently i went back to the game (Because SM3 is one of the best games from Nintendo in my opinion, the SNES version is superb) but instead of using the Whistle to warp levels to the final world i actually played each world and every level. Now i'm on world 4 and find myself getting really annoyed again, this time the right hand side of the screen has a color glitch in a column of pixels, as i walk forward it constantly changes the color - usually it will be green so i can ignore it BUT at times it's pure white! and having a flashing white line on the right hand side of the screen when you're trying to out maneuver enemies on a moving platform over the sea whilst a fat fish is trying to swallow you whole is F***ING ANNOYING! Check out my photos, the problem is, it only really happens when you move Mario, but i managed to get evidence to show you .

If programmers hacked the 3DS and put SM3 on the system i bet it would run just fine! Anyway even with these faults i'm still enjoying the NES SM3, It's just annoying to think how much cash Nintendo has and how hard it can;t be to make this game run on this system.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

drich255 Guest

Vipp, I played a lot of SMB3 growing up. I had forgotten about the side screen scrolling glitch until you mentioned it, but I am almost 100% sure that the glitch exists on original hardware. That is how the game played. It has such beautiful graphics for an NES game, the glitches on the sides must have been the trade off. Could an emulator improve on it? Possibly. But it would take special programming that went beyond emulating NES hardware. I’ve played the Wii U version recently and it has the same screen issues. I can see how it would be more distracting on a smaller screen.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Vipp, I played a lot of SMB3 growing up. I had forgotten about the side screen scrolling glitch until you mentioned it, but I am almost 100% sure that the glitch exists on original hardware. That is how the game played. It has such beautiful graphics for an NES game, the glitches on the sides must have been the trade off. Could an emulator improve on it? Possibly. But it would take special programming that went beyond emulating NES hardware. Iíve played the Wii U version recently and it has the same screen issues. I can see how it would be more distracting on a smaller screen.

It had crossed my mind that it could have been part of the original game. The first time i ever played and completed SMB3 was on the SNES, It's an incredible game for it's age and you're right the graphics actually do look really nice - it's one of the draws of the franchise i think. I also love the card games that allow you to save up abilities like mushrooms, hammers, frog suits and so on, it made the game feel so much more intuitive and bigger than anything i had played on the Megadrive.
    Thanks for clearing that up D - I still enjoy the game but when the glitches are white it sure does distract from the game. It's also making me want to get my Wii sorted out (the homebrew is all messed up) so i can get a few hundred SNES games working on it, that way i can re visit the original SMB3 that made me love Nintendo.

drich255 Guest

And the side scrolling glitch was probably more tolerable on fuzzy CRT screens.

Since the original didn't save your game (or use passwords), I used the whistles to really explore the different worlds (and try to rack up as many extra lives as possible). I used the Nintendo Power guides to help with the card matching game. Once you figured out which board it was, you could clean house. And there is a limit to how many items you can keep in your inventory.

You bring up a good point. Super Mario All Stars were enhancements and not just straight ports. And you are right, based on youtube video - SMB3 on SNES does look much better. Also, the 25th anniversary collection for Wii is a port of the SNES SM All Stars game.

I've got RetroPie running with a USB SNES controller. Too many games and not enough time.
    Last edited by drich255; 29-10-15 at 03:54.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    And the side scrolling glitch was probably more tolerable on fuzzy CRT screens.

Since the original didn't save your game (or use passwords), I used the whistles to really explore the different worlds (and try to rack up as many extra lives as possible). I used the Nintendo Power guides to help with the card matching game. Once you figured out which board it was, you could clean house. And there is a limit to how many items you can keep in your inventory.

You bring up a good point. Super Mario All Stars were enhancements and not just straight ports. And you are right, based on youtube video - SMB3 on SNES does look much better. Also, the 25th anniversary collection for Wii is a port of the SNES SM All Stars game.

I've got RetroPie running with a USB SNES controller. Too many games and not enough time.
    I don't remember not being able to complete the SNES version but i clearly remember having levels marked out as 'easy to farm for lives' and so on. At the moment i can save the game so the card games are easy to get 100% but as you say i can only keep so many pages of upgrades so i keep using the crap ones up to make room for leaves and frog suits.
    Last edited by Vipp; 29-10-15 at 08:15.

random_dave Guest

I think that glitch was less noticeable on a crt, especially through the rf signal as tvs often chopped the edges off the picture (overscan) as signal interference often happened at the edges, and I guess it made sure that a picture would "fill" the screen
    Nintendo like to strive for accuracy these days with emulation, rather than fixing issues, I wonder if part of that has anything to do with the backlash that they had from fans over the slight changes in the all stars remakes for the snes

Blog Entries

I had All Stars on the SNES and maybe it was imagined but I always felt it played badly.
    The inertia felt wrong compared to the original games.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    I had All Stars on the SNES and maybe it was imagined but I always felt it played badly.
    I loved that game so much, i never noticed any problems with controls but if memory serves me correctly im pretty sure thst was my first exposure to Mario. I had seen MArio on the NES but never been given the chance to play it. I'm happy to see so many folks responding to this, it's like the good ol days of the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by miner2049er View Post
    I loved that game so much, i never noticed any problems with controls but if memory serves me correctly im pretty sure thst was my first exposure to Mario. I had seen MArio on the NES but never been given the chance to play it. I'm happy to see so many folks responding to this, it's like the good ol days of the forum.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.