1 11.11%
  • Amidar

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015.02 Top Ten Worst Atari 2600 Games

Blog Entries

Default 2015.02 Top Ten Worst Atari 2600 Games

Take your pick.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I had to pick Star Fox, but in my opinion, it the "best" of the three Mythicon games. Anyone who is interested in the crapfest that was Mythicon should check out the recent Atari 2600 Game by Game podcast on the three games. I actually find myself going back to Flag capture quite often lately as a quick pick up and play game on the DS collection on the DS that lives by my toilet. I guess it is a true crap game then, though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck D. Head View Post
    I actually find myself going back to Flag capture quite often lately as a quick pick up and play game on the DS collection on the DS that lives by my toilet. I guess it is a true crap game then, though.
    Haha!

So it would be number 2 in your list then.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I'm surprised to see Superman on there -- or at least that SoCal Mike ran with it. It's like Adventure without the boundaries; it's a lot of fun if you (ahem) read the manual and learn how to play it. I also dig Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes, which is like inverted Breakout. It's one of the best Fox games, provided that you're able to focus on the game-play and look past the crude graphics -- and since this is a retro-gaming sort of round-up, one assumes that that's presumed, if you will. The difficulty switch has to be set on A, or your lives are unlimited. Maybe that throws a lot of people off, as it makes the game seem too easy at first.
    Anyway, it all shows that taste is -- obviously -- purely subjective.
    (Another great episode regardless.)
    Last edited by Chris++; 03-03-15 at 09:28.

Blog Entries

How great was that, two of the old school DEV's showing up to bust us on the top ten! You won't hear that on any other show, yet, the Pewpie_angrynerd gang rates hundreds of thousands of downloads to our tens of thousands, life isn't fair. But like I always say, Justin Beiber is famous, there is your litmus test.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    How great was that, two of the old school DEV's showing up to bust us on the top ten! You won't hear that on any other show, yet, the Pewpie_angrynerd gang rates hundreds of thousands of downloads to our tens of thousands, life isn't fair. But like I always say, Justin Beiber is famous, there is your litmus test.
    Just listened to the top 10 and was going to post the same thing! You guys held strong and didn't waver.
    Last edited by drich255; 07-03-15 at 05:03.

Was E.T. purposefully left off as a pick or did you guys just not think of it? Usually Atari E.T. and Atari Pac-Man go hand in hand.

I hated Pac-Man back in the day as well. DK Jr. was total garbage, LOVED the arcade, picked up the 2600 version... Oh man.

If you like adventure games with the random element, and you don't mind reading manuals, E.T. isn't bad. That's a matter of taste, unlike games that are inexcusably glitchy or difficult to control. What I was surprised not to see on the list were TigerVision's King Kong and Xonox's Spike's Peak. Those are surely the very worst. I can't think of less playable games.

I obviously agree that it was awesome to hear Woita & Polaro's comments! That sort of thing alone blows my mind, as I grew up playing games written by those guys (and continue to play them, for that matter). I'll always be a keen Roundup listener; even in podcasting, "fame" means nothing in such a profoundly sick and superficial culture. You're popular with the people you need to be popular with, and we're grateful for all of the time you guys put into each episode, even if we forget to say "thank you" sometimes. (Sure, I'm projecting, but appropriately, I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Was E.T. purposefully left off as a pick or did you guys just not think of it? Usually Atari E.T. and Atari Pac-Man go hand in hand.
    I was glad to see it not on the list. E.T. is a lazy, cliched choice and I expect better of RGR. It's related to Scott's comment abouve about Justin Bieber. You can get large numbers and mass appeal by recycling the same things that they already know or appeal to a smaller niche by being more intelligent and challenging. I've been listening to RGR since the beginning and joined the forums because it's the centre of a group of people who have the knowledge, experience and courage to have unique, individual opinions and the ability to discuss them intelligently. Which is a lot more fulfilling than being told yet again that E.T. is the absolute worst game of all time and that Super Mario 64 is the unquestioned best game of all time, because that's what people expect to hear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast