• Driver

0 0%
  • Chrono Trigger

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014.12 Top Ten Playstation 1 Games

RFWarrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by indieseoul View Post
    Make sure you play Mass Destruction (PlayStation/Saturn). This is by far my new favorite PlayStation game. Hmm no Colony Wars on the list either. That's another game worth playing..one of the reasons I got a PlayStation back in the day. I can't say I agree with this list.

Looks ugly but is a lot of fun blowing shit up in this game. Mass Destruction:
    This game looks SWEET!!! I totally missed this game! I have Assault in my arcade and this of reminds me of it. I'll be picking this up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    Too funny - 2 of the games I worked on in the top 10 I hope at least one was booted out!
    Cool! Which two?
    Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashback Upgrade Service - Upgrade your flimsy FB to the Ultimate Flashback!
    2600 Games - DK Arcade 2600, EMR II, Epic Adventure, CGE Adventures

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wongojack View Post
    Here is my personal top list for the PS1. I played A LOT of sports games in this era. Spyro does everything that Crash does better, and I believe it was done by the same company. It is almost like a Crash sequel with diff characters. I could never get through MGS, just too much stupid dialog. I would put MGS completely out. Regarding Driver, I never got out of the training missions.

I'm still listening to the podcast, but wasn't Chrono CROSS the one for PS1? Trigger is a SNES game!.
    Good call! I was totally forgetting the Spyro games. I played most of the ones on PS1 and Gamecube. Are the DS ones any good?

Chrono Trigger was also released on PS1, but Chrono Cross would have been a much better pick. People don't like how they tried to force the story to link it to Chrono Trigger, but a great game in its own right.

I never got into them, but the Syphon Filter series looked awesome. I see this as the response to the N64 007 and Perfect Dark games.

I hate to say it, but listening to Scott talk about the PS1 library was a little bit like listening to the Retronauts talk about the Intellevision. I understand that he really hasn't played much of the PS1, but it was a huge console in its time with a very expansive library (and gave people a console that wasn't just seen as for kids). Spyro and Syphon Filter may not be the type of games he would have played, but Chrono Cross as an RPG would have appealed to a younger Scott. Plus tons of racing games, such as Ridge Racer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    Some of my favorites:
    Metal Gear Solid
    Gran Turismo
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Civilization II (missed the PC version, finished it on PS1)
    Castlevania SOTN (one of my top games of all time)
    Arcade Party Pack (the two analog sticks made smash TV PERFECT, 720 was great, Super Sprint was fantastic)
    Medal of Honor (finished this over just a couple days, awesome game)
    Diablo
    Awesome list. I never got into THPS, but it is almost always featured on such lists. I did play Gran Turismo, but I just couldn't stick with it. It was an incredible game for its time though - that is easy to recognize. I didn't know about PS1 Civ! SOTN is still on my backlog list . . .

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Good call! I was totally forgetting the Spyro games. I played most of the ones on PS1 and Gamecube. Are the DS ones any good?

Chrono Trigger was also released on PS1, but Chrono Cross would have been a much better pick. People don't like how they tried to force the story to link it to Chrono Trigger, but a great game in its own right.

I never got into them, but the Syphon Filter series looked awesome. I see this as the response to the N64 007 and Perfect Dark games.

I hate to say it, but listening to Scott talk about the PS1 library was a little bit like listening to the Retronauts talk about the Intellevision. I understand that he really hasn't played much of the PS1, but it was a huge console in its time with a very expansive library (and gave people a console that wasn't just seen as for kids). Spyro and Syphon Filter may not be the type of games he would have played, but Chrono Cross as an RPG would have appealed to a younger Scott. Plus tons of racing games, such as Ridge Racer.
    Syphon Filter isn't 1st person, and it was almost definitely an action oriented answer to MGS. I liked it because the writing and story wasn't the joke it was in MGS, and you didn't have to constantly read text from the codex.

This console was huge. I understand where Scott is coming from that this seems to be the start of marketing defining genres that would sell predictably, because it is really when huge budget games really got going. In some ways, he's right because we had X# of Resident Evil sequels, Y# of Spyros and Z# of Legacy of Cain games. They weren't always better than the previous game, and they rarely offered anything in innovation. However, the console has games rated 90/100 in almost every major genre and even most sub genres. You could play only platformers for 100s of hours and never play a game objectively rated lower than a 75. RPGs - holy cow the kids go crazy for the RPGs here. There is even a diversity of publishers and developers as well as some distinct differences in design represented by various countries of origin. Consoles even got a dose of the strategy genre with Warhammer.
    Last edited by wongojack; 03-01-15 at 11:37.

It's really hard for me to make a top 10 for the PS1 and not overload it with Squaresoft/Enix games or RPGs. Final Fantasy IX, Wild Arms, Alundra, Darkstalkers, Resident Evil 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and the Lunar series would all be contenders for spots.
    Of course Metal Gear Solid is right up there as well. I own every single US released Metal Gear game up to this point with the exception of Ground Zeroes.

For me on the PS1 is Crash team racing.
    Though I didn't have a very large collection.
    That game got a lot of play

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    For me on the PS1 is Crash team racing.
    Though I didn't have a very large collection.
    That game got a lot of play
    CTR was great and I played it a lot (not having an N64 until later), but playing again now I am not sure how well it holds up. It may make my list of top 10, but probably not my top 5.

Chris++ Guest

The Ultimate Doom and Final Doom conversions for the PS1 are excellent. I agree with Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, if that's the 3-D one you meant, and Duke Nukem: Time to Kill is great as well. Also on my own list would be the first Colony Wars and one of Mike's honorable mentions, Medal of Honor (as well as the sequel, Underground).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris++ View Post
    The Ultimate Doom and Final Doom conversions for the PS1 are excellent. I agree with Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown, if that's the 3-D one you meant, and Duke Nukem: Time to Kill is great as well. Also on my own list would be the first Colony Wars and one of Mike's honorable mentions, Medal of Honor (as well as the sequel, Underground).

Yep - Those PS1 Medal of Honor games were pretty great.

neshead80 Guest

I identified the most with SoCal's picks on this one. The PS1 was the first console where I had regular personal income so it was a pretty big deal at the time. I'm omitting Final Fantasy VII because its overly obvious & it aged horribly.

My Top 10:
    1 Castlevania SOTN
    2 Final Fantasy Tactics
    3 Metal Gear Solid
    4 Silent Hill
    5 Resident Evil 2
    6 Point Blank
    7 Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    8 Tomb Raider
    9 Rage Racer
    10 Cool Boarders 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast