Thread: STR 61: Retro PC Memories.

Blog Entries

Default STR 61: Retro PC Memories.

Do you remember the era when AOL was king and games came with screen savers? This episode is all about old school PC gaming. We discuss some of our favorites from back in the day as well as our impressions of the upcoming GOG Galaxy client. We round up Retro E3 news, talk about some games we are playing now, and much much more.

Show links:
    Septic Lemon blogs about E3.
    Raspberry pi in a Game boy pocket.
    Retro Game Challenge 2 gets fan translated
    Nationwide Retro Rentals.
    Evil Quest (Get it if you love Crystalis.)
    Bagitman for C64
    Jumpman for C64

Very enjoyable episode, guys.

For PC gaming, I give high marks to Carmageddon 2, as well as Jane's Combat Flight Simulator: WWII Fighters. Played those for months back in the Windows 98 days.

Oh, and... thanks for the duet serenade Indy & Septic. A lovely rendition of the 'Paul Nurminen' song...

This is next on my long list of shows to listen to.
    Oh man that Evil Quest is a flat out rehash of Crystalis. I'd say it's worth my $2 to check out. Speaking of Crystalis, I've thought of using RPG Maker to do a Dragon Quest style version of the game with additional playable characters. That, or do the same to Zelda 2.

Some of my favorite PC games back in the 90's seemed to be the FPS titles. Before all of the war based shooters and emphasis on online multiplayer. Doom, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, Hexen/Heretic, etc. Before the school shootings in '99, I had actually made my school in the Duke Nukem level editor. These days you don't get to see editors like that as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgertime View Post
    ...Before the school shootings in '99, I had actually made my school in the Duke Nukem level editor...
    Ahh... should we be worried, Will?

I can hear the news reports now... "We found early evidence of the crazed shooter's plans on a gaming website forum..."

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    Ahh... should we be worried, Will?

I can hear the news reports now... "We found early evidence of the crazed shooter's plans on a gaming website forum..."
    Lol see, and that's exactly the reaction the news would have these days. It feels like after Colombine, the level editors like that started to decrease.
    For me back then it was a place my friends and I were familiar with, and a place we could attempt to replicate.