6 28.57%
  • River Raid - Atari 2600

6 28.57%
  • Hunter - Amiga

0 0%
  • Fishing Derby - Atari 2600

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2014 - TOP 10 Activision Games That Aren't Pitfall or KABOOM!

Blog Entries

Default June 2014 - TOP 10 Activision Games That Aren't Pitfall or KABOOM!

That's right guys. This month we tackle a very difficult task of debating the best Activision games that aren't Kaboom or Pitfall This can also include games from a variety of consoles from Atari 2600 to the Commodore 64 and everything in between. What games did we miss? What are your favorite games from the company that created the 3rd party software business?

Blog Entries

DREADNAUGHTFACTOR on the intekkivision is brilliant and i also found tony hawks pro skater on the ps1 to be a great game the holds up even today.
    Early backer of the CGE Adventures Atari game - Long time listener of the RGR Podcast.

I was a big Sho Kosugi fan in the 80s so "The Last Ninja" was magic when it came. And altough I never completed it in the day I found "Hacker" very entertaining. Maybe it is time to revisit it.

Loved Part Patrol (C64) when it finally arrived, courtesy of the Mastertronic label in the UK. Some lovely tunes, cute graphics and varied gameplay. I also liked Portal on the C64 but never finished it. Also, Little Computer People was very innovating for its time.

I'm pleased to see Frostbite getting some attention. Along with Seaquest -- both of these being games written by the great Steve Cartwright -- it's my favorite Activision game for the 2600. It combines a few elements from existing games, but the manner in which they're combined makes for a unique game. It's smooth, solid and fast, and represents what the console can do, outshining its competitors of the era (yeah, I said it), provided that the programmer knew what he was doing.

Something that sets Activision games apart from most of the other contemporary companies is that every good game has a twist that occurs after a few waves. Just as you're getting used to the controls and thinking, "Well, I've got this down," an additional element shows up, which is deceptively simple but which changes your entire approach to the game. Think of the polar bear in Frostbite, the small boat later in a Seaquest session, etc. Brilliant.

Besides, with a name like Cartwright, how could he not write console games?

I also find River Raid II superior to the first game. If you read the manual before playing, it's not the slightest bit confusing. You'll find that it retains everything that makes the original game fun, while simply giving you a few extra things to do in order to keep game-play from getting repetitious. The water and land phases are separated here, and you get to bomb as well as fire straight ahead (as in Xevious). It's another often overlooked treasure, this one from David Lubar, who also programmed a couple of my favorite 20th-Century Fox games for the 2600, Flash Gordon and Fantastic Voyage (again, you have to read the manual to find out that the latter is more than just another generic, vertically scrolling shoot-'em-up).

Finally, let's not forget Activision's amazing conversion of Rampage for the Commodore 64.

Last edited by Chris++; 01-07-14 at 09:50.

Duplicate unable to delete
    Last edited by Jammajup; 06-07-14 at 11:19.

I have just downloaded the latest podcast and are looking forward to the debate on what could be a real interesting poll and Topm10
    For me personally I vote H.E.R.O by a long stretch followed by Chopper Command, I have never seen a bad port of H.E.R.O on any system.
    Any way I am off to listen now , PS the name of this podcast should be Top-10 Activision Games That Aren't Pitfall lol
    (Kaboom! seriously?)
    Keep up the good work guys

Glad to see Keystone Capers on this list. I recently discovered this game and has quickly become one of my go to games whenever I fire up my 2600. I'll have to check out Frostbite and Fishing Derby as as they sound like a lot of fun. One title that I used to play a lot of was Laser Blast. Even though the game was super repetitive, I still would play it over and over again.

Was this the top ten Retro Activision games? I mean most of them are right, but I feel like it's a shame to keep any of the good Tony Hawk's off of the list. Other than that I agree with most of it. Have not played any C64 in my life, so I'll take your word for it. Glad HERO got the top spot, totally deserved it. I like Frostbite, but I am absolutely awful at it. River Raid is a must own. Anyone who asks me which games to get first with their 2600 I say River Raid for sure.

It was the first Top 10 I was actually miffed about! (not seriously mad, but actually wanted to argue with you guys!)
    Standing up for Sports Gamers (except Madden Honks!) since 1987!
    NHL '96 Champion!
    Sega-16.com Staff Writer Since 2007!
    The Guy Who Posted the iTunes Review in Episode 55!

Was this the top ten Retro Activision games? I mean most of them are right, but I feel like it's a shame to keep any of the good Tony Hawk's off of the list. Other than that I agree with most of it. Have not played any C64 in my life, so I'll take your word for it. Glad HERO got the top spot, totally deserved it. I like Frostbite, but I am absolutely awful at it. River Raid is a must own. Anyone who asks me which games to get first with their 2600 I say River Raid for sure.

It was the first Top 10 I was actually miffed about! (not seriously mad, but actually wanted to argue with you guys!)
    Standing up for Sports Gamers (except Madden Honks!) since 1987!
    NHL '96 Champion!
    Sega-16.com Staff Writer Since 2007!
    The Guy Who Posted the iTunes Review in Episode 55!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast