Thread: About time I said hello!

Toast King Guest

Default About time I said hello!

Hi All,

Been a listener since the start (Well, I heard the first episode onwards - think I was a few months behind to start with) but haven't been much of a poster on any forums for a few years after being prolific before. But as I stumbled across a C64 book Kickstarter and wanted to let people here know about it, I signed up and here I am.

My story is probably similar to most Brits on here and quite a few other people as well although consoles never really figured in my early gaming. I had a Binatone pong type machine but things really took off when my Dad was given a ZX81 by a wholesaler. Playing Football Manager and Flight Simulator got me hooked - as did typing in a program that made a rocket take off!

My progression then went to a Vic 20 followed by my all time favourite - the mighty C64. This was my machine of choice for several years which probably explains its place in my heart. I dabbled with programming but games were where it was at. Having a Freeze Frame and lots of blank disks meant I had a lot of games - a lot paid for I should add! Staying with the Commodore theme, I went to an Amiga 500 and then had my major aberration so here is my confession time. My name is Dave and I bought a Philips CD-i. There, I said it. To be fair, the golf game looked great when it was demoed - as did the tennis one. Shame they were pretty much the only two games worth playing.

I went back to an Amiga - a 1200 this time and also got another C64 after regretting selling my first one. Working in IT support meant that I went to a PC after that (1500 for a 486DX2) and after that, consoles replaced other home computers. I have had a Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, GBA, DS, Playstation 1,2 and 3, a Dreamcast, Xbox 1 and 360, a GP32, GP2X, Dingoo, and a few other I have probably forgotten.

So much for my history. Now for my Retro Gaming credentials. To be fair, I feel a bit of a fraud being here as I am mostly a collector/hoarder for the sake of having it rather than playing it. I currently have 3 C64s, an Amiga 600, an Atari ST, two 2600s, my old Gameboy and GBA, a PS1 and 2 and an XBox. Somewhere I have a Spectrum + 2 and an Amstrad CPC. But that is the problem - I have them. I don't use them. I am one of those people that likes the thought of retro gaming. I like listening to people talk about it and like watching people use it. I like the thought of having pretty much every major game for every major system available to play in emulation because I can. I have spent ages setting my desktop up with all the Emus and they are there ready to go. I just need to use them.

To be fair, my gaming preferences seem to have changed since turning 40. I prefer casual PC games now and barely use my main consoles so perhaps I am ready to go back to playing retro. My enthusiasm has been rekindled in the last couple of months. I had an operation on my toe which meant I was housebound for 6 weeks and I stumbled into volunteering to help Ant from From Bedrooms to Billions get some videos for type in games to put in the film. Going through old magazines and seeing the reviews and adverts has made me pine for playing these games again.

I have started trying to tidy up my C64s and I want to get a couple of Breadbin ones running with an SD card so I can clear out most of the other stuff that I just have for the sake of it. Then I want to start trying games and systems I missed back in the day. To focus my mind, I plan to start a blog and do a mini review of old games that I haven't seen before. Doesn't matter if no-one reads it as long as it gets me trying games that are new to me. I plan to try a mixture of star name games that I just happened to miss along with random games that sound interesting. Hopefully this will take off and not prove to be another of my "Bright ideas" that come to nothing.

Regardless of whether I get back into playing games or not, my love for all things retro has never waned so I will carry on listening. I love listening to people talk about a combination of things that I remember or I have never heard of. I like listening to Scott talk about fixing hardware even if I have no idea what he is talking about (I like the TV programme Wheeler Dealers where they buy an old car and fix it up - even though I have no idea what they are actually doing as well!).

Anyway, enough about me. I will continue to lurk and may interject occasionally.

Cheers,

Dave

Diagamblic Guest

Welcome to the forums! I would love to acquire a c64 some day. I'm a musician and podcaster myself. My first computer was an apple IIc. I'm sure you'll find many like minded folks around here! Nice to meet you Dave! I'm Aaron.

focusrs Guest

welcome to the party that is Retro Gaming Roundup! the c64 i had defected to by bud indiseoul over in South Korea . happy to see another like minded retro junkie!

Blog Entries

Howdy Toast King! Always good to meet another C64 fan. You should get the SD2IEC. I just got one and have been really having fun with it. I'm discovering tons of games that I never knew existed when I first had my C64 back in the day. Welcome to the forums!

Toast King Guest

Quote Originally Posted by indieseoul View Post
    Howdy Toast King! Always good to meet another C64 fan. You should get the SD2IEC. I just got one and have been really having fun with it. I'm discovering tons of games that I never knew existed when I first had my C64 back in the day. Welcome to the forums!
    That is very much my plan. Yesterday I got 2 C64s from EBay. One for 25 which is nice condition and fully working and one which is nice condition but untested as it has no power pack. I currently have a scabby old C64c which works but looks dreadful and a bread bin style one which works but half the keys don't work. My plan is to get a decent backup to my new one, get rid of the old ones and some other stuff I don't use and then get an Sd2IEC sorted. Then I can start gaming again and try and break out of the collecting for the sake of having phase.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Toast King View Post
    Then I can start gaming again and try and break out of the collecting for the sake of having phase.
    I think that was the start of me enjoying retro games rather than collecting for the sake of it and now i actually manage to sit to the end of most games i play rather than a 5-10 minute play of a game. It's nice to transition - i still collect my Sega games but the rest of my things have reduces quite a bit.

WeLcOmE to the forum too, you are more than welcome here buddy.

Toast King Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
    I think that was the start of me enjoying retro games rather than collecting for the sake of it and now i actually manage to sit to the end of most games i play rather than a 5-10 minute play of a game. It's nice to transition - i still collect my Sega games but the rest of my things have reduces quite a bit.

WeLcOmE to the forum too, you are more than welcome here buddy.
    I think that's the main thing - when I do go to emulation I tend to go for my favourite games but I need to branch out and try new stuff. No point having Gamebase 64 with 20000 odd games when all I play is Emlyn Hughes Soccer, PC Fuzz and Action Biker. Time to play all the stuff I missed back in the day. Also time to stop being a C64 snob and try other systems.

Anyway, thanks all for the welcomes - I'll try and chip in here are there. Still catching up with RGR after my 2 months off so the news from the one before last and the whole last one to listen to so that'll take a few work journeys.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.