Thread: C64 sd2iec

Blog Entries

Red face C64 sd2iec

I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about this awesome device that I'm sure several of the forum members here have.

I'm a proud owner of the awesome SD2IEC. I just love what this thing can do. I just figured out today that it is quite easy to fastload games using a program called SJload.

Here is a tutorial I found on the net: http://ilesj.wordpress.com/2010/10/0...-using-sd2iec/

To load my games I use a combination of the CBM file browser and SJLoad. What I did was put the fastloader program on the SD card which already had the file browser preinstalled.

Now all I type is: LOAD"!",8 Then type RUN. This loads the SJLoad program.
    Then I load the File browser by typing: Load"*",8 Then type Run.
    Now I can choose my game from the SD card and the game loads instantly! Really Cool!

Load"*",8 is used to load the first program on my SD card which is the CBM File browser. If it's not the first program on your SD card you will have to type in the full name of the CBM program.

I ordered mine from here: http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html

The delivery was fast and packaged very well. I highly recommend ordering from him as he does some cool cases that look like a mini 1541 drive.
    Last edited by indieseoul; 03-04-14 at 03:36.

cross_bearer_02 Guest

The SD2IEC is an amazing device, and I love mine! One thing that I would also highly recommend getting is an EasyFlash3 cartridge if you don't already have one of those, since it allows you to load a custom kernel directly from the cartridge slot (and that include JiffyDOS, which the SD2IEC can make use of), in addition to various other cartridge images direct from the cart. Those two devices, combined with a real 1541 and some spare 5.25" floppies has allowed to pretty well boot up any game I want for the C64.

I got all my stuff from here: http://store.go4retro.com/uiec-sd/

Blog Entries

I'm still trying to figure out a reason to use Jiffy dos. Can you help sell me on it's usefulness? With SJload I can load my games from the SD2IEC instantly. Is there any other use for Jiffy Dos?

cross_bearer_02 Guest

Well, the usefulness of JiffyDOS with the sd2iec can be a bit of a tough sell. I mean it does significantly cut down on loading times, but as you say, using SJLoad with the sd2iec already cuts it down a good bit. Where it comes in handy for me is when I'm dealing with one of those stubborn games that I can't seem to get to load off the sd2iec and run properly. Typically, these are games spread across multiple disk images.

So that's where JiffyDOS comes in for me. I have it installed directly into a 1541, and I have the C64 kernel on my EasyFlash3 cart. So whenever I come across one of those pesky games that just won't work off anything but a real disk, I use JiffyDOS to help speed the time it takes to transfer those games to disk, and then subsequently to load them from disk. For transfers, I use CBM Command: http://cbmcommand.codeplex.com/

In fact, it looks like it's been updated since the last time I checked the project. I'll have to update my copy sometime over the weekend.

As for selling the EasyFlash3, the ability to play Prince of Persia, among other cartridge-based games, did that for me. Fantastic conversion to the C64. I love it, even though I'm absolutely horrible at the game.

Blog Entries

I see, thanks for the info. It looks like Jiffy Dos has some uses but none that would fit into my own personal use case. I bought the SD2IEC since it is a great way to get games onto my C64 without the need of owning a real 1541 drive again. It was expensive enough having a boxed C64 shipped to Korea and the 1541 is quite the heavy beast.

The easy flash 3 looks like quite a cool little device. I might look at getting one in the future. I also am terrible at playing Prince of Persia but I can see it could come in handy at some point.

On a separate note I wonder what happened to the Lemon64 forums. They have been down for the last two days.

cross_bearer_02 Guest

Yeah, I noticed the whole Lemon 64 site was down yesterday when I checked it. The page said that it was temporarily offline, but the title bar says "Account Suspended." So that's a bit worrisome. Lemon is my go-to resource for all things Commodore 64.

As for the EasyFlash, I do highly recommend that. And I would actually love to get my hands on a 1541 Ultimate to replace my sd2iec and 1541 disk drive completely. It's my understanding that it fully emulates the 1541, and that would take care of those games I have that won't load from an sd2iec.

Blog Entries

I hope Lemon 64 gets back up soon. It's been over two weeks without a very important resource on Commodore. I heard that he is looking for a new web host. The internet can't abide losing that site.

Smack2k Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cross_bearer_02 View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the whole Lemon 64 site was down yesterday when I checked it. The page said that it was temporarily offline, but the title bar says "Account Suspended." So that's a bit worrisome. Lemon is my go-to resource for all things Commodore 64.

As for the EasyFlash, I do highly recommend that. And I would actually love to get my hands on a 1541 Ultimate to replace my sd2iec and 1541 disk drive completely. It's my understanding that it fully emulates the 1541, and that would take care of those games I have that won't load from an sd2iec.
    What games wont load from your SD2IEC? I haven't had any issues with any game I have tried....let me know as its a big issue, I gotta hunt down a 1541 Ultimate as well.....

cross_bearer_02 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    What games wont load from your SD2IEC? I haven't had any issues with any game I have tried....let me know as its a big issue, I gotta hunt down a 1541 Ultimate as well.....
    I've never really made an exact list of games that I've run into that don't work, but a large majority of the games that I have problems with appear to be those that are spread across multiple disks, or that have customized fastloaders (usually those on multiple disks fit the latter category as well). However, games that are on a single disk image and utilize a standard bootloader do appear to work just fine (i.e., games that have been converted from tape to disk, or that have a single simple .PRG file on disk).

I may try to get my C64 stuff out sometime this week and hook it up and see if I can get you a few more practical examples.