Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Hacking

Default PSP Hacking

I recently bought a psp 2001 (TA-85v1 and 02g) with the intention of putting custom firmware on it. I wish some one had warned me of the high leaning curve to get this thing to work properly. I installed the Pro-C1fix3 version 6.35 and I'm using a 32gb micro sd inside a memory stick adapter. The operating system functions properly and I installed nesterj with no problem as well as snes9xtyl.

The problems I'm having are running isos and also when I try to add folders and files for my emulators the folders dont appear in the menu of the emulator programs. Even when I have gotten the emulators to recognize the folders, sometimes the roms wont run. On other occasions I've put roms in the folders, disconnected from usb, didnt find them on the emulator, and when I went back to connect to usb I find the folders empty. I've been able to get roms to run but it seems like if I continually add things to the memory stick it gets wonky and the roms wont run anymore and the files do the disappearing act.

Has anybody else experienced this happening? I've done a lot of googling and looking at psp forums before posting and there's a ton of info out there, so much so that I get lost and confused. Any suggestions?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

oops, just realizing that I should have posted this in the retro handheld section. Mr. moderator if you would kindly oblige.....

bjones371 Guest

Is your Micro SD card a genuine brand? I've seen similar symptoms with a no-brand 32GB SD card from FeeBay, where it turned out it was actually a 4GB card which had its SD properties modified to make it appear as a 32... So when you wrote data to the areas of memory that didn't actually exist, it mysteriously disappeared.

It is a no name, but the dissappearing files happen with just the emulators and only a gig of roms maybe. I'll have to test that theory when I get home though

Ok, turns out the crappy micro sd card was the culprit. I bought a san disk 32 gb and now everything runs perfectly. Some things you just can't skimp on I guess. Thanks for the input bjones.

bjones371 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyeyed View Post
    Ok, turns out the crappy micro sd card was the culprit. I bought a san disk 32 gb and now everything runs perfectly. Some things you just can't skimp on I guess. Thanks for the input bjones.
    Good stuff, glad you got it running, it's still the best emulation handheld out there for my money. I've had a legit SanDisk Ultra crap out on me before now, but cheap no name sd cards are often hacked to appear larger than they actually are. I ran a no brand one in my phone for a while, and sometimes it'd randomly corrupt images, probably because a portion of the photo was saved to the "phantom" storage.

Yeah, I'm having a blast playing everything from retro handhels like the game boy and game gear to retro consoles like the NES and the ps1. Mame has trouble loading roms sometimes though. I think they're just incomplete romsets I'm using.

bjones371 Guest

I think MAME has quite a limited set of roms that it's compatible with on the PSP, I'll have a look at which ones I have on mine as UK Mike gave me a folder with all the compatible ones in there. PS1 games play well on there, you can convert an ISO of your PS1 game to a PBP file quite easily, so I've packed my PS1 away and only use the PSP and a component cable to play them these days

I got a component cable for my tv as well. Also I was able to convert some ps1 games and run them. Oh, and DosBox is great. Good times. It's a strange thing that I'm spending more time putting games on this thing more than actually playing them. It's like an odd hoarding compulsion or something. Yeah, I might have a problem, but it's a problem I enjoy having. Another problem is that there's no possible way I could ever play all the games I've put on it and I plan on putting on more. I guess I just like having options, over 1000 lovely options.

Honestly, the biggest reason my PSP is hacked is for the convenience of not having to mess with UMDs for my games. Just rip em and slap em on the card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast