Thread: Kaboom! - Finally broke 10000

Default Kaboom! - Finally broke 10000

So I finally broke 10000 points on Kaboom! and was able to witness the surprised look on the bombers face. A small victory, but proud nonetheless.

Blog Entries

This weekend I spent more than 4 or maybe even 5 hours with Kaboom. I just can't really succeed at it. I'd assumed that I simply hadn't given it enough effort yet, and If I really tried it, I would be able to adjust to the speed.

So . . . .

I created a save state where I cleared levels 1-6 (1000 point mark) successfully without missing a bomb, and I attempted over and over again for at least 2 hours to complete level 7 - I couldn't do it even when I reloaded the state dozens of times immediately after losing my first bucket. I came within 10 bombs a handful of times, but I couldn't ever complete 7. I went through various stages of anger, frustration, and sadness during this process when I began to experiment with the framerate. Slowing the game to 50 fps allowed me to actually complete level 7 and sometimes level 8. I think the default fps is about 60, so I experimented with pushing the speed up to 70 fps and then letting it drop again to see if my mind would have gotten going faster and could actually handle the "default" speed after being exposed to something harder - but to no avail.

I think that in the past, I have actually gotten past level 7. I remember distinctly a score above 4k on the 5200 version at one point, so I must have gotten through it. Perhaps that was just luck or some subtle variation in controller responsiveness or something.

Some things I was able to reflect on while torturing myself with this:

1) The fact that the paddle can turn past the point of sensitivity hurts this game.

Most people don't even realize that the paddle isn't actually responsive around it's entire turn. The game stops sensing movement long before the paddle is physically prevented from turning. This is bad in Kaboom because I find my self over-turning the paddle occasionally (especially to the right). Even though the bucket stops on the right side of the screen and can catch a bomb there, this means that it actually takes a bit more of a turn to get the paddle back to the middle or to the other far edge. This extra required movement throws off my rhythm and stops me from catching a bomb immediately after one on the extreme edge.

2) Patterns from H3||

There are two patterns that really give me trouble. I allude to the first one above. This is usually on an odd level when the bomber is spreading those bombs out farther apart. He'll drop a bomb at an extreme edge and then drop the next somewhere near dead center of the screen with another quick drop at the opposite edge. I usually end up catching the first and then swinging the buckets quickly across the screen. For whatever reason, I have a very hard time catching the "middle" bomb successfully. You have to be able to catch it in motion across the screen while moving to the other edge. If you over twist and have to go back, you'll miss the bomb on the opposite side.

The other pattern is a bit less specific. Basically, whenever the bomber drops 3 or more bombs just slightly farther apart than the width of your buckets, I have trouble. This requires you to have smaller twisting movements instead of the sweeps that much of the game requires. I especially struggle with this when there is a quick transition from smaller movements to wider and vice versa.

Blog Entries

I actually switched back to a Kaboom cart and original hardware last night and dominated level 7. I got past it like 8 out of 10 times and then stopped counting. There is something about the emulator that is nailing me. I reset Stella's input settings and I had previously adjusted sensitivity or some sh!+. After that I got past 7 once and only once before attempting over and again without success. It makes me think that there could be a sweet spot with Stella's settings that makes this more like the real thing. Maybe it is my laptop screen or something like that? I noticed that on a CRT the buckets sort of distort near the edges of the screen and look visually "wider." This does not happen in Stella.

On a positive note, I not only cleared 7 on the original hardware, but I did it many times with only 2 buckets. My personal high score is now like 5604 (around there). I got over 5k 3 or 4 times since yesterday and should be able to continue the improvement. The best results are from using ATGames paddles that I got on their website a few months ago. I think I may buy a second pair.

And your using paddles on Stella? I also find that I can do better on real hardware with paddles then on the emulator and a mouse. I haven't figured out a paddle solution on the pc yet.
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

Blog Entries

I have the 2600-daptor which really works pretty great for most things, but it seems that there is some limitation either with it or Stella. One person on AtariAge pointed out that you can actually turn the paddle past the left edge of the screen. A little over-turn and you end up having to twist faster to get the buckets back to the center. I don't know what exactly the problem is but on Stella level 7 completely kicks my butt. If I switch back to original hardware on a CRT, I can actually play the game.

I'm trying to close in on the 10k mark like the OP. If I get there maybe I'll be satisfied and I can let the Kaboom! pain in my arm heal (insert jerk-off joke).

Blog Entries

Got it using my family's original light sixer and some paddles that I bought on the AtGames website. I never thought I'd be able to get a score this high. Quitters never win I suppose:

Kaboom.jpg