Thread: Timex Sinclair 1000 Pickup and Question

kynrek Guest

Default Timex Sinclair 1000 Pickup and Question

I scored a Timex Sinclair 1000 with the RAM expansion module, Manual, Thermal Printer and original Paper for $60. Now I can finally find out what all this ZX Spectrum hubbub is all about.

I can't seem to get a good image on my TVs though. Both my CRT and LCD TVs are having trouble displaying the RF signal. the text is extremely hard to read or completely blended into the black background. It seems like they are trying to auto-adjust the signal or something. I tried plunging directly in using an RCA to F connector adaptor (like for the Atari) and also using a Nintendo RF Switch box, the switch box was a little better but still unuseable. Any thoughts?

kynrek Guest

So I just had to crank the brightness and contrast to see the letters! Downloaded some mp3s and I'm going to play some dizzy and manic miner like a proper Brit! Now just to find a monacle and smoking jacket!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Do you want me to break some bad news to you? The Timex 1000 isn't a Spectrum clone, its a ZX81 clone. The ZX81 was the precursor to the Speccy and was a 1k machine (tho the Timex actually has 2K I believe?), monochrome display. You ain't playing any Dizzy on that I am afraid!

What you need to grab is the Timex 2068 or 2048. The 1000 is still a very interesting machine though, there were some amazing games for that machine considering its limitations. Theres still an incredible (but small) homebrew community too.

Check out this guys site for example:
    http://www.bobs-stuff.co.uk/antattack81.html

Enjoy the new find!
    Last edited by retroshaun; 10-02-14 at 01:16.

kynrek Guest

What!? You must be Yolking!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oohhh I like what you did there

Yeah, as was stated, unfortunately, this has nothing to do with the ZX Spectrum. The Timex Sinclair 1000 is indeed the 2K version of the 1K ZX81, and, as you could tell, has a really dreadful, hard-to-see display. There's not much that can be done about that. The Sinclair 1000/ZX81 can be easily and inexpensively expanded to 16K (like you have), or you can straight up buy the 16K and nicer cased Timex Sinclair 1500. The true successor was the Timex Sinclair 2068, which was the US version of the ZX Spectrum with minor improvements. However, those minor improvements also caused compatibility issues, so you either need a compatibility cartridge or take other measures to improve that. In short, if you want a ZX Spectrum, I recommend getting a real ZX Spectrum either with the right cable or modified for composite output, and just adapt the power supply. I run European systems all the time here in the US with simple adapters.

Unless you're a hardcore collector (read: crazy like me) there's not much point in owning the ZX81/Timex Sinclair 1000/1500, though there are still new game releases for it if something like that interests you (and actually a rather nifty modern expansion that does add some needed features). The value of the package you have though is probably about $20 less or so than you paid, so it's probably not worth reselling. On the plus-side, it does look like it's all in very good condition.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.