• PSP

3 25.00%
  • NEO GEO Pocket Color

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan 2013 Top-10 Portable Retro Game Systems

Blog Entries

Default Jan 2013 Top-10 Portable Retro Game Systems

There is sure to be some debate on our top-10 portable gaming systems . . . or consoles

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    There is sure to be some debate on our top-10 portable gaming systems . . . or consoles
    Just listened to the big debate. I am with So Cal Mike on the handheld systems debate.

I don't think cartridges are a must have to make the list, but having multiple built-in games would feel more appropriate as a contender to the other items on the list (not just a couple of built-in games).

I'm really really surprised that the GBA isn't there. The second I saw this thread it sprung straight to mind as my number 1.

I ended up going for the PSP as it is one of my best retro gaming consoles. I play loads of spectrum and GBA games on it.
    Proud owner of CGE Adventures

Check out my uTube channel for Spectrum gaming goodness:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWD1...nQ0rpTg/videos

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    Just listened to the big debate. I am with So Cal Mike on the handheld systems debate.

I don't think cartridges are a must have to make the list, but having multiple built-in games would feel more appropriate as a contender to the other items on the list (not just a couple of built-in games).
    The debate is a touchy one, and it comes down to whether or not the terminology is being taken at it's strict dictionary definition, or by how it's used in the vernacular of gaming.
    We see portable gaming systems today as an extension of the consoles. Consoles are seen as a device in which you add a game and play it on a TV with a controller. Granted even in the 70's the home versions of Pong were seen as game consoles.

While using Pong as the main focal point, I can see the Game and Watch being called a portable gaming system. Even the definition of "system" and what a "handheld game console" is would make the Game and Watch sound like it's a system.
    However, there also exists the handheld electronic game. Something that a product like the Tiger Electronics games would fall under. The definition of one of those, according to Wiki, is:
    very small, portable devices for playing interactive electronic games, often miniaturized versions of video games. The controls, display and speakers are all part of a single unit. Rather than a general-purpose screen made up of a grid of small pixels, they usually have custom displays designed to play one game.

That to me is the very definition of the Game and Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by saberman View Post
    I'm really really surprised that the GBA isn't there. The second I saw this thread it sprung straight to mind as my number 1.

I ended up going for the PSP as it is one of my best retro gaming consoles. I play loads of spectrum and GBA games on it.
    Same here. GBA SP is my retro portable of choice. With the attachable grip handles, it is very comfortable. And it has a huge catalog of games since it can play GB, GBC, and GBA games.

Same here, I picked up some GBA carts in China which are LOADED with NES games. They are like 112-in-1 carts. They are so fun on the SP or micro.

Blog Entries

I like the Neo Pocket tech wise but for sheer playability and number of good playable games Gameboy has to be the one.

It's hard for me to vote for anything else besides the original GameBoy. While not the most advanced portable, it does portable gaming well. Awesome library of games, an early intro to multi-player gaming for most people and a system that didn't eat batteries (looking at you Turbo Express and Lynx).
    I only wished the NG Pocket had received more exposure. That was an awesome system with a good selection of games (Card Fighters Clash being my fav).
    Xbox Live:Emergencybrake
    PSN:ebrake

Quote Originally Posted by indieseoul View Post
    Hows the sound on your GBA multi-cart RF Warrior? The one I have some of the games just sound wrong.
    I haven't noticed any sounds issues. Might have some just didn't notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast