Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spy hunter cabinet

Not that I can be of any real help, but now that the power supply is "fixed" did you verify that the voltages it's outputting are correct?
    GamerTag, iOS ID & Steam ID: TripHamer
    Tripping the Hammer since 1998!

If the game isn't even playing blind then - did you have the board set verified as working? May be worth sending it away to someone who can check and fix it if need be. Also look at replacing the ribbon cables on those... they are probably dry and cracked.

Blog Entries

Sorry catching up. First step would be to check what Trip and Shaun suggested.

Grab the manual if you don't have it already; http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals.../SpyHunter.pdf

First things first though. Did you check for safety interlock switches? These are mounted along the edge of the game back and sometimes coin door to kill power when the games internals are exposed. If that switch is bad or off your not going anywhere. Look for a box with a switch that would be pressed in when the back or door are installed. You can pull these out till they click to lock power on when the door is off.

Once you have the power plugged in, the interlock(s) pulled into the on position your ready to check on some measurements. But first a few common sense checks. Is there any sign of life at all, does the marquee light come on, is there power at the connector going to it/ Do you hear a pop from the speakers at power on? Does the neck of the monitor glow?

Starting on page 18 of the manual you will see the schematics. You can jump right to the PCB connector and see if you have the right DC voltages at the board at J1 (see page 19 of the manual), then if you don't work your way back. If you see the proper DC voltages then the board may need work.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

I would also be interested to know if he hears any HV 'hum' from the monitor.

Quick check.

The monitor seems to charge up (hear the sound)
    The humm is from the speakers
    also hear 1 beep (not sure where from)
    The board on the side of cabinet flashes 7 - 9 times?

Have a vacation and will resume in 10 days.
    Thanks for all the help
    Looking forward to fixing this great machine.
    Oh and for the fun factor a mustache is drawn on the woman will post a picture.
    Though I hate defacing a great machine it is certainly giving my machine character.
    ha ha

Blog Entries

I hear you, there are games I have that I feel compelled to restore to factory condition, and ones that I feel I have to leave the patina on; like some initials carved in the side art which is a big part of the arcade experience. Somewhere is an annoying soccer mom who does 45mph in the left hand lane who was once a hot girl who looked on while a guy scratched her initials into a game, part of the history.

Those are good signs, the hum from the speakers and beep *MAY* well indicate that the board is just not booting. Can you post a pic of the board with the blinking light? If it is the sound IO board then the blinking could indicate bad RAM or ROM ICs, check page three of the manual. Also, set the DIP switch to normal operation and see if it boots up properly, settings are on page 3 as well, set it to the options with ** next to them and try that.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Theres also a RAM/ROM test mode on dip 3 (switch 2) on the sound board that may be worth checking. A fast yellow LED flash = bad ROM, slow = bad RAM.

I believe theres also a self test switch inside the coin door that may or may not be helpful given that you are currently not seeing anything on the monitor

SO after way to long I am again working on my cab.
    Looking to replace the power supply with Midway MCR Power Supply Adapter
    reading this is one of the easiest things to start with.
    Thoughts?

also plan to do a cap kit on the crt as I see no life in it except for hearing it get power.
    All suggestions are welcome I have a guy here that is guiding my work.
    Will keep the progress updated

OK

Cap kit done.
    Got the new Midway MCR Power Supply
    Switching Power Supply HD 15 Amp

Turned on
    slight humm
    yoke now shows the glow
    No screen and nothing else.

Help please

So here is the status. HELP please.

Re-seated chips on boards.
    New data cables (except one that broke so old one in)

Turned on.
    heard song play, watched smoke come from internal board # 2 or 3 hard to tell)

Cut power.
    turned on again, no smoke song plays once then stops.
    No screen.

Help or guidance or anything?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast