Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RGR Game creators discussion thread

Blog Entries

DUDE, that will be the Rosetta stone for opening up the INTV world for homebrew like the Atari world has seen with tools like BATARI basic and such. Brilliant work!
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

That's really cool, I'd love to share it with some of the folks back at Sumo Digital that are still into coding for old platforms, a lot of them are a bit stuck in their ways with their favourite computers and tools, but might rise to challenges like "make a game/demo in 4 months and only 16k" if they start to spring up around a community

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    DUDE, that will be the Rosetta stone for opening up the INTV world for homebrew like the Atari world has seen with tools like BATARI basic and such. Brilliant work!
    Well, it won't be BATARI. It'll offer pre-built kernels and powerful libraries to do most of the heavy lifting, but it'll still be in Assembly (overloaded and massacred by macros).

Once that is done and it proves useful we can consider making a higher level language for it; but for now, one step at a time.

dZ.

I was wondering the other day whether it may be quite cool to have a gamejam happening around an expo weekend. Participants could turn up ahead of doors opening on Saturday morning and be given a retro game to reimagine/make a sequel to make by 4pm on the sunday. This could be in a section of the hall that is a little less busy, but still available for the public to see what they're up to.
    Then they could present them on stage and a panel of alumni could judge which one they thought was the most creative/accomplished example of the brief, and then give a prize. I'd imagine that it could make for a nice little spread feature in the homebrew/remake section of retro gamer too.

Anyone else think that may be cool, or would you rather be drinking and playing games, than drinking and making games?

Sorry guys, I am all over the place schedule-wise right now. But yeah I am totally happy to help out! Either doing some work for you guys or teaching - whatever you need. All free of charge coz I am a thoroughly nice guy. OK maybe 'thoroughly' is going a bit far. Ahem. What ya need? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
    Attachment 1381

I want to be in this group for sure. I am currently working on a small game featuring FocusRS. i have been working on a database of hand drawn then Adoby enhanced images to build up a backdrop for the first level which is 480X10240 (approx). im now also working on a character with a 17 stage animation.

above is a small image i made showing the stages i took to get to the marvin milk we all know and hopfully love. i am investing a lot of time into textures and shading right now and hopefully i will learn fast and be ready to help develop art for the Marvin Milk game. IF anyone here is a graphic artist and think they have a small amount of time to help me improve and learn i will 10000% be a good pupil, i want to know more and will take lessons/advice seriously. a Skype art session would be greatly appreciated. Im looking at you Retro Shaun. Haha!

anyway i hope i can do this, eventually i would love to be a freelance artist and image manipulator so i can work from home.

Oh you can add me as scripting/coder too if you like. In my past life I was a programmer, BSc in Computer Science and self taught assembly, various basics, C/C++/C#, Pascal etc etc.

For anyone that is interested in getting their feet wet with Unity, 3D Buzz put up a 7 hour informal crash course on creating a 2d shooter for free download.

I've not grabbed or watched them yet, but I certainly will be as soon as I get some time to move onto the unity side of things

linky lninky http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/...ple-2d-shooter

Blog Entries

Mate what is Unity, how much does it cost and why is it so popular at the moment? also i will have a watch of the video - I am still working on the game but organizing Septic Lemon is like trying to get a hotel room without peep holes in the walls in Blackpool... it doesn't happen very often.
    Early backer of the CGE Adventures Atari game - Long time listener of the RGR Podcast.

Unity is an engine, that has a visual editing environment, similar to the way that Unreal Engine does, but many would say a lot more approachable.

There is a free version that allows you to export projects to pc/mac/linux/web/android/ios, and then there is a pay for "pro" version that allows you to use more advanced graphical effects, as well as opening up the possibility of exporting to PSVita/XBoxOne/PS4/WiiU/probably others

It is popular because it uses C# and/or javascript to create the code, and these are fairly approachable languages, it got to a point where it was capable of running very sofisticated 3d games with acceptable performance, and with the free version of it, it allowed people to download it and give it a try without any financial commitment.

The latest versions have also started adding some community features such as an asset store, where users can create scripts, shaders, models and other assets that other users can use to rapidly build a game. (In fact I believe a lot of Goat SImulator was built at a game jam using assets from the Unity asset store

My decisions to go with C++ and SDL for James & Watch is paying off

Over the last few days I've got it building on windows as well as Linux, then with a little tidying up I got the dreamcast version up and running nicely, and then with about 30 minutes work had it running on the PSP!

Also, the other day whilst bored at work I stumbled across the GBDK (Gameboy Development Kit) and within a couple of hours had some basic background art drawing with an animated character moving around the screen, and although the concepts are vastly different to working in SDL, it wasn't as difficult to get things going as I had thought it would be, so I should definitly like to try and get a full game running on there at some point

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast