Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Carnival @ The Garden Gate, Aldershot, UK: 25/01/2014

Thumbs up Video Game Carnival @ The Garden Gate, Aldershot, UK: 25/01/2014

The Last Video Game Carnival @ The Garden Gate

Before any confusion arises, this is the last Video Game Carnival at the Garden Gate NOT the last Video Game Carnival. Why the last at the Garden Gate? Well my sister Cally, who’s been running the Garden Gate for the last 6 years has finally had enough and is giving up the pub. The brewery has unfortunately decided they are going to sell it rather than finding new tenants. It may continue as a pub, but the outlook doesn't look great.

So what have we got in store for you?

Two Giant Gameboys - They’re Gameboys, they’re rather large, there are two of them and they’re linked for head to head action.

The Fruitcade - Play your favourite arcade classics, but use fruit to control them!

Laser Gaming - Video games played using a frickin’ laser.

The LED Arcade - LED and VFD Tabletop games, including Frogger, Scramble, Astro Wars, Amidar and many more.

Rootin’ Tootin’ Shootin’ Gallery - Three light gun games for your shootin’ pleasure.

Three Arcade Machines - Two MAME cabinets and one 60 in 1 cabinet.

Six Retro Systems - The backroom will have a selection of six retro computers/consoles.

As usual we will be running a selection of competitions throughout the day including:

Fruitcade High Score Competition - Have as many goes as you like, to try and grab the high score on an arcade classic on the Fruitcade.

Atari Championship Belt hosted by the Retro Lords - A knock-out competition on the Atari 2600 (game to be decided). The winner of the competition will get the right to challenge the current holder of the Belt, Retro Lord Bob. At the last event, Retro Lord Bob won the Atari Championship Belt. He has since defended the belt at Revival Mini. Can he make it three wins in a row or do you have what it takes to win it for yourself?

Two Giant Gameboys Knock-out Competition - Game to be decided

plus more competitions to be announced…

It would be great to see as many people as possible for the last event at the Gate. I’ve run about 15 events at the Gate over the last 4 years, starting with the Retro Computer Games Festival, on to the Video Game Carnival and the Mega Super Gamer nights. I think everyone that’s been to previous events would agree that the Gate has been a great venue and Cally a welcoming host.

Hope to see you there :-)

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/369293069874632/
    Address: The Garden Gate pub, Church Lane East, Aldershot, Hampshire, GU11 3BT
    Date: 25th Jan 2014
    Time: 14:00 - 01:00
    Cost: FREE

bjones371 Guest

Just the wrong side of London for me... Though a Saturday night may be do-able if I can recruit some travelling buddies from the North-West? If anyone fancies chipping in to some fuel costs, a twin room, and probably the requirement of keeping me awake for the three and half hour drive each way, then give me a nudge, and we can try to get something arranged.

Blog Entries

It is well worth the effort, just to see the giant gameboys in person, and the entire carnival production is top notch!
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by bjones371 View Post
    Just the wrong side of London for me... Though a Saturday night may be do-able if I can recruit some travelling buddies from the North-West? If anyone fancies chipping in to some fuel costs, a twin room, and probably the requirement of keeping me awake for the three and half hour drive each way, then give me a nudge, and we can try to get something arranged.
    The more the merrier! Going to try and make this last one at 'The Gate' a bit special and cram as much into the day as possible. Most people who stay over use the Travel Lodge. It's about a 10 min walk from the pub. It doesn't have any parking but you can park at the pub. There is also a good retro shop in town called Kart Klub which people like to visit over the weekend. Hope to see you there :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    It is well worth the effort, just to see the giant gameboys in person, and the entire carnival production is top notch!
    Thank-you Scott :-)

Some great news on prizes for the competitions. I've had some amazing donations including:

• Plus there are some more prizes on there way to me (more on those soon)

• Also up for grabs is the Atari Championship Belt

Play your cards right and you could have an entire years worth of events to go to!

More great news on prizes for the competitions. Nintendo have very kindly donated a 2DS Console (the new black and blue one) with The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and New Super Mario Bros. 2

This will all be given away as one prize for one of the competitions. More details on what prizes will go with what competitions coming soon.

Thank-you Nintendo

Blog Entries

Nice prize.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

COMPETITION AND PRIZE NEWS

Competition: Multi Game Hi-Score Competition **
    Game: Games & Systems announced on the day
    Prize: 2 x Revival Tickets, 2 x Play Blackpool Tickets, 2 x Play Expo Tickets

Competition: Giant Gameboys Knock-out Competition
    Game: Nintendo Gameboy - Dr Mario
    Prize: 2DS Console (the new black and blue one) with The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and New Super Mario Bros. 2

Competition: Atari Championship Belt *
    Game: Atari 2600 - Party Mix
    Prize: Revival Ticket plus a chance to challenge the current holder of the Atari Championship Belt (Retro Lord Bob)

Competition: Sega Championship Belt *
    Game: Sega Mega Drive - Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 96 (8 player mini car controllers)
    Prize: Revival Ticket plus a chance to challenge the current holder of the Sega Championship Belt (Retro Lord Lozz)

Competition: Nintendo Championship Belt *
    Game: Nintendo 64 - Mario Kart 64
    Prize: Revival Ticket plus a chance to challenge the current holder of the Nintendo Championship Belt (Retro Lord Lozz)

Competition: Super Mario War Knock-out Competition
    Game: Nintendo Wii - Super Mario War
    Prize: Limited edition silver copy of The History of Ocean book

* For each of the Championship Belt competitions if you win the competition you will win the prize. You then get to challenge the current holder of the Championship Belt to see who the ultimate champion is.

** The Multi Game Hi-Score Competition is played over several arcade games. The competition is run throughout the day up until 10pm. You can have as many goes as you like on each game and your aim is to get the highest score possible on each game. All your scores from all the games are aggregated together to give you an overall score.

The scoring works as follows. The person who currently holds the high score on a particular game gets 100 points. Your points for that game are worked out as a percentage of the current high score. For example if the high score on a game is 20000 and you have a score of 15000 you will get 75 points as your score is 75% of the high score.

The scores will be updated throughout the day so you can see where you are on the overall table and where you are on each individual game. You can then see what games you need to improve on to improve your overall points.

Blog Entries

I was going to try and come to this but I am moving house that weekend.

Looks like it should go well.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook