• Armor Battle - Intellivision

0 0%
  • Wii Sports - Wii

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November 2013 Top-10 Launch Titles

Blog Entries

Default November 2013 Top-10 Launch Titles

Well, you would think we were launching a magazine or something. We totally forgot to post the November Top-10 Debate and thanks to Drich255 for letting us know! So here we go, let's debate the Top-10 Retro Launch Titles!

Super Mario Bros should be disqualified, Howard Phillips said it wasn't a launch title in your interview with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GameGavel View Post
    Well, you would think we were launching a magazine or something. We totally forgot to post the November Top-10 Debate and thanks to Drich255 for letting us know! So here we go, let's debate the Top-10 Retro Launch Titles!
    Thanks SoCal (and I am looking forward to the magazine)!

Just wanted to support UKMike on Wii Sports. Wii Sports deserves to be in the top 10 because it sold a ton of consoles to non-gamers. It is similar to Tetris in that regards -- it appealed to a wide audience (I once heard a news story on Tetris that it was one of the video games that had more female players than male players).

Plus the simplicity of Wii Sports has to be admired. It wasn't Mario Wii Sports (which they could have done). It was a basic game that was fun to play. And yes it showcased the motion controls, but they are still fun games to play even years later.

It also had the appeal of Combat in the sense that they were multi-player games. Games that you could enjoy with your friends and family.
    Last edited by drich255; 06-12-13 at 05:48.

I kinda wish Super Mario World was nominated. It was a fantastic game, and a great pack-in for the SNES.

Also - the North American launch for the Sega CD/Mega CD. Sega threw in a TON of software with your purchase. They really wanted to sell the CD+G capabilities of the system. The best part of this pack was definitely the 4-pack of genesis games. Sol-Feace had fantastic music, but little else to recommend it. Sherlock Holmes is decent, but pretty frustrating to play for any length of time. To be fair, these pack-ins were much better than the Sega CD v.2 which only came with Sewer Shark (barf!).

Sol-Feace
    Sherlock Holmes
    Seg Classics 4 in 1 ( Sonic 1, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Collumns)
    The Colors of Modern Rock
    Hot Hits: Adventurous New Music Sampler (Price: $14.99)
    Rock Paintings: CD+G Sampler

Here's a good article about the Sega CD pack-ins
    http://www.defunctgames.com/history/...e-pack-in-game

Sega Dreamcast -
    Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur. Sonic Adventure hasn't aged quite as well, but it was still impressive for the time. And Soul Calibur proved that the Dreamcast could do arcade perfect ports. That game is still amazing to this day.

A friend of mine pointed out that Halo deserves to be mentioned as a significant modern launch title.
    Last edited by drich255; 07-12-13 at 06:45.

Blog Entries

EDIT -

I think i spoke too soon, after hearing the top ten i cans see these titles are in fact quite important, Tetris is brilliant that has to be said but also i will throw SoCal a few points for arguing for Pac-Man. Also it was nice to hear you guys talk about a few consoles that don't see much air time.
    Last edited by Vipp; 06-12-13 at 11:37.
    Early backer of the CGE Adventures Atari game - Long time listener of the RGR Podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by UKmike
    Can you imagine the game decathlon with a 10'000 K walk?
    No, I can't say that I can imagine that.

Tetris on Gameboy blows this out the water...I have only just downloaded podcast so who the fu*k said Wii sports?
    NeeeNAhhh NeeeNaah look out here come the `RETRO POLICE`

Tetris will run away with this one but I couldn't do it... it was a fantastic pack in but just didn't feel like a 'launch title' - didn't feel like it was as anticipated as games on systems earlier in video games history. Whereas in the Atari/Coleco days, everyone wanted the arcade games at home... they just felt bigger somehow. Maybe that's me showing my age. Great top 10 tho!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    Super Mario Bros should be disqualified, Howard Phillips said it wasn't a launch title in your interview with him.
    In the US, but it was a launch title in Europe in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumisator View Post
    No, I can't say that I can imagine that.

haha! That is some serious joystick waggling.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast