Thread: Steam purchase question

Default Steam purchase question

I have a question about Steam

I have never gotten anything from Steam so.
    What all am I getting into buying a game from them?
    They have a sale and I want a game from them, but will probibly never purchase anything again.
    I really dont like DRM and honestly hate download only stuff.
    I want the CD, cartrige whatever.

But they have the AVGN for 50% off and I would like that.
    Help please.
    Oh and does it phone home everytime I load etc?
    Being overseas I dont have internet 100% of the time thus the ET phone home will nix any purchase.
    Thanks

Vipp Guest

ONE OPINION - If someone with a less cynical personality than mine wants to offer up an answer also please feel encouraged to do so.

Steam doesn't require an internet connection because you can use the program offline when ever you want to. Some games however DO require you to be online after you boot the game in steam. Usually a basic knowledge of Developers will let you know if you should expect a second sign in and online connection needed, for example is your game is by Ubisoft, your possible going to need a permanent connection.

However here comes th e cynical stuff, your only Renting the games, If you let steam sell your soul for advertisment space they will and if you opt into the updates you will send a written apology to Microsoft saying 'im sorry for ever thinging you had more updates than sense' Steam has more updates than users!

some of the games they sell they know to be bad (see infestation or search for a user here called Dhalamar and ask him what happens when Vipp don't listen) HAHA!. finally if you think Steam are beyond corruption and failing just look to the highstreet, folks here don't like me aying Steam isn't outside of the realm of business where greed takes over purpose and they fail and leave users fucked. our banks have closed and you might have thought people mad for saying that could happen a year ago but it has and there is no reason to think steam is immune. if they fail, your rental agreement has gone and your game are too.

im no steam expert so you have every right to think im a nut and should be ignored but if you can, try to support and use companies like GOG.com or ask a friend to opt into family sharing so you can play the game on their account. FAILING THAT! i always remember Septic Lemons adivce when your desperate to try a game to see what you make of it, and the good man himself always send me to this video.

OK so let me get this straight.
    You install steam.
    Download a game
    The game runs out of the steam frontend?

I did the GOG download a free game trick and hated it.
    I just want the program, no useless interface etc.
    I really do not want to sign up for this to get 1 game and then hate that I did it.
    Thanks for the info though

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spin View Post
    OK so let me get this straight.
    You install steam.
    Download a game
    The game runs out of the steam frontend?

I did the GOG download a free game trick and hated it.
    I just want the program, no useless interface etc.
    I really do not want to sign up for this to get 1 game and then hate that I did it.
    Thanks for the info though
    It does need the Steam front end to play the games yes mate.

I'm an avid PC games, but I avoided using Steam for almost 8 years for some of the same reasons. I started using it last year, and now won't buy a game UNLESS it can be activated on Steam. Yes, I know Steam could disappear at any time. I'm still quite confident they will be around for a while. They have even pledged to release a modified (DRM-free) Steam client if for some reason they go under.

Games are downloaded & installed in the background. However, you can still install from physical media if you have it. Steam will then take over the updating for you.

Backing up is as simple as it could be. Either copy the Steam folder to a different hard drive or use the built-in Steam backup tool. OR you can just re-download games any time you like.

SteamCloud: Your game saves & config files (in supported games) are backup up to Steam servers. No more losing hours of game progress due to a corrupted file.

The Steam client works fine without an internet connection. You only need a connection when activating a game (takes seconds), downloading, upgrading, online play, etc. Basically, Steam does not require an internet connection unless there is a good reason for it.

You can also add non-Steam games to the game launcher list. Keeps all your game ready to launch from one central list.

The best feature (well, more of a benefit than a feature) is the HUMBLE BUNDLES. I currently have more than a hundred games in my Steam library. Rage, all of the Serious Sam games, Batman Arkham Asylum & City, All of the Company of Heroes, SupCom, Crysis 2, All the FEAR games, Saints Row 2 & 3, Medal of Honor, it goes on & on.

Total cost on Steam (through Humble Bundle) = THIRTY BUCKS!!

Steam does have some cons. The biggest being that they just sell the games. They don't provide much technical support for non-Valve games. You need to seek help with the game publisher or through the Steam forums.

Vipp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrPapaya View Post
    Steam does have some cons. .
    You said it buddy! Haha.

So I tried to sign up and the server page just would not let me in.
    I really HATE the web pages that tell you something is wrong but not what was wrong.
    Thus no steam for me.
    Sadly I wanted to buy but was unable.
    I hate DLC and this affirms my hatred!