Thread: XBMC HELP! needed!

Default XBMC HELP! needed!

I would like to build a media / emulator / PC game box that connects to the main home TV. I have read multiple recommendations for XBMC.

I have tried multiple times now to set this XBMC software up. But I can never get it to work (well).

I have just wasted another day trying to get it all configured. I just about had the NES emulator working. But I just re-ran XBMC and everything I set up in Advanced Launcher has gone. Running my test PC game (world of goo) just causes a memory violation error every time when called from XBMC.

I have found multiple "how to" blogs but the options they say to use don't seem to exist anymore. The options vary totally depending on the skin you have.

I was using the confluence skin. To run a game, I had to select programs then the advanced launcher add-on and then finally I could select the game. But it was text menus. I would really like a thumbnail/graphic interface to select the game. Do I need to configure the confluence skin to do this? Or do I need to use a different skin.

If I change skin I don't even see advanced launcher as a option so can't run any games at all.

Does anybody use XBMC to play games? I seem to have a total mental block with this software. So can anybody suggest a skin and settings that will give me a nice graphic interface to play games on the TV? Do I use advanced launcher ? or do I use a rom browser add-on ?

Any advice very greatly appreciated!!!!

Blog Entries

I use xbmc a lot on different platforms (raspberry pi, Xbox original, macbook, PC) and have never had any issues with it but I use it for media mainly rather than games and programs.

What platform as you using?

Sent from my Atari 2600
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I have tried in the past to use XBMC as a front end to launch games to no success, it is a real pain in the arse to get it set up with Rom Launcher and it isn't a very intuitive process. May suggest using a different front end e.g.. Hyperspin, Mala, Maximus Arcade. You can still get XBMC to launch one of these front ends if you are still wanting XBMC integration.

Tricky X Guest

Check out GameEx. Wicked front end for everything gaming. Consent updates, loads of emulators. Used this for years on my media pc hooked to TV.

http://www.gameex.com/

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will have a look at them.

miner2049er, what skin do you use? Each skin makes XBMC more like a totally different app with different options and has to be configured in a different way. I have seen some XBMC screen shots where there is a category called GAMES and if you open this you get images of each retro console and then you select the console and get images of each game cover. This my goal. Is this what you have? I just want a small number of systems and a small number of games for each. So creating each option by hand is OK for me (if I knew what to do!). Do you use advanced launcher to run your games or do you use a "rom browser" add-on? One of the skins seemed to have GAMES and a rom browser add-on built in to the skin. But I could not find any way of setting the rom directory - so when you selected "import roms" nothing happened.

p.s. Even the XBMC media import was not intuitive. There are "Movies" and "Videos" and I could not find an import media option for movies. So I had to use the videos category and import option there and then select the content of the folder to be movies. But, it was great when it finally worked. All the artwork and details were downloaded automatically. Very nice! So I guess all the pain is worth it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CargoRunner View Post
    miner2049er, what skin do you use?
    Confluence, the default one. I never saw any need to change it because it does what I need.

I have seen some XBMC screen shots where there is a category called GAMES and if you open this you get images of each retro console and then you select the console and get images of each game cover. This my goal. Is this what you have?
    The only platform I use it to launch game is on the original XBox and it doesn't need any configuration. Each game or emulator is in its own folder and XBMC just reads the default.xbe launcher for each and lists it in the Programs Group.

If there is the correctly named image file in the same folder it will use it as a thumbnail.

Once the emulator is launched by XBMC you configure the ROM directories in the emulator settings and if you have screenshot files it will use them but you can create them yourself as well as you go.

Even the XBMC media import was not intuitive. There are "Movies" and "Videos" and I could not find an import media option for movies.
    I do the same, on all platforms, I access a fileserver through SMB and I don't have XBMC create a database or import thumbnails as it just slows things down, I have it so it just reads the files directly over my network for Music, Videos and Pictures.

If you do it with a Raspberry Pi through HDMI then your TV remote will also control the Pi XBMC interface which is great.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook