Thread: Favourite remakes

Default Favourite remakes

Exactly as it says on the tin. What are some of your favourite retro remakes? Post any and all platforms, free or commercial.

I'll be back later with mine. I'm out andvlistening to the news right now which is what inspired me to start this thread so when I have better access to images and links I'll share my bit.

Blog Entries

There was a remake of Bruce Lee done a few years ago for the GBA that was written in Blitz Basic I think, that was very good.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

drich255 Guest

The original Metroid was remade for the GBA as Metroid: Zero Mission. In addition to improved graphics, I believe they added a map which helped me not get so lost and confused when playing.

Vipp Guest

I enjoyed Galaga Deluxe on the Amiga 1200 for years but wasn't old enough to enjoy all of the features of the game and also our Floppy of the game wasn't reliable. Year later the game developer re-released his game but under a new name (i think he said on his blog that we worried about being legally challenged over the original name Galaga Deluxe) anyway it's called Warblade, it's actually a good game but not many people tend to play it anymore.

http://www.warblade.as/

it's not too expensive however im sure with a little internet searching you could find a Demo of the game to see if it's worth buying the full version.

I *love* both versions of Galaga Deluxe... we played the crap out of that at college, pretty much got every secret and power up. Need to get back to playing it again...

I shouldn't have waited so long to answer my own question, but here goes.

1. The MDDclone. http://mercenarysite.free.fr/mddclone.htm

mddc7.gif

I'm sure that I have mentioned Mercenary/Damocles/Dion Crisis before as they are my absolute favourite game series. The first appeared originally on the Atari 8 bit and was ported to the C64,Spectrum, ST and Amiga. The next two were on ST and Amiga.

They are all remarkably ahead of their time. 3D, first person games that look and play like arcade games but are at heart very solidly adventures. Explore, collect and use inventory items and read through messages to solve puzzles. In the first your ship has crash landed in a city on a planet divided by war and you must find the means to escape. The sequels expand the game to several planets and moons giving you an entire solar system to explore. Hidden within are countless locations and objects to discover.

This port is a full freeware remake for Windows with all three games in one. There is also an SDL port with improved graphics that to date only plays the first in the series. That one hasn't been updated since 2010 so it may have been sadly abandoned.

2. Cholo remake. http://cholo.ovine.net/terminal/index.php

hqdefault.jpg

This is another pioneering early 3D game that is an arcade/adventure hybrid, though more action oriented than Mercenary. It originated on the BBC micro and was ported (poorly) to C64 and Spectrum. In this, you control a robot from an underground bunker in a radiation-filled city working to open the bunker locks and free the people trapped underground. You begin with a hacker robot which you use to paralyse and take over other robots with different abilities in order to accomplish this.

The remake improves on the visuals and more importantly drastically improves upon the painfully short draw distance of the original. Again, the remake is free. Go get.

3. Curveball http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/games/curveball

curve-ball.jpg

This is a remake of Room 10 on the C64 and Spectrum done in Flash. Possibly. I don't know with any certainty that Room 10 was the inspiration as it wasn't the most successful of games. It may be the same idea in a new package, which is a first-person expansion of Pong.

This is one of the first Flash based games that I have encountered and still one of the best. The gameplay and difficulty curve are absolutely perfect. It starts out slowly with the speed increasing with each level. After a while it gets to be so fast that you play in the same sort of trance that you get with Kaboom. The sparse sound effects are also quite satisfying.

I have 2 Favorites.

Atari 2600 Adventer remake = Indenture
    Programmed by Craig Pell
    He tried to get the licence Atari but could not.
    Changed the name and released it as Freeware
    It is a DOS based remake that massively expands the game very challenging but great.
    http://www.toadstool.net/games/adventure/play.htm
    indenture.jpg

I also ran across a remake of Joust
    Called Joust 3 revenge of the lava troll a remake from a contest.
    Programmed by Jph Wacheski (Iteration Games)
    Simply great adds the next level of play and honestly I feel could be considered a legitimate squeal it is that good
    http://www.gamemakergames.com/archiv...the-lava-troll
    joust3.png

joust3_3.jpg
    Last edited by Spin; 01-11-13 at 07:46.

drich255 Guest

There are tons of Space Invaders remakes, but the GBA version is great. It allows you to save your progress, so it is nice for a quick pick me up game. Clear a couple of levels and then save your game. Hitting four enemies of the same color in a row also gives you a bonus weapon, so there is some extra strategy in the game.
    Last edited by drich255; 06-11-13 at 03:18.

bjones371 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drich255 View Post
    There are tons of Space Invaders remakes, but the GBA version is great. It allows you to save your progress, so it is nice for a quick pick me up game. Clear a couple of levels and then save your game. Hitting four enemies of the same color in a row also gives you a bonus weapon, so there is some extra strategy in the game.
    The GBA Space Invaders is a re-release of a re-release, that exact game format and graphic style being used on PS1 too. On the PS1 version you unlock "classic mode" on completion too, letting you play the original Space Invaders in all its glory. Not sure if that's the same on GBA.

drich255 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bjones371 View Post
    The GBA Space Invaders is a re-release of a re-release, that exact game format and graphic style being used on PS1 too. On the PS1 version you unlock "classic mode" on completion too, letting you play the original Space Invaders in all its glory. Not sure if that's the same on GBA.
    The GBA version has a "classic mode" available, but I am not sure I like the emulation of it. The invaders dropping down are a bit choppy. But it has been a long time since I have played the original game to make a good comparison.
    Last edited by drich255; 07-11-13 at 02:57.