Thread: Japan Retro Game Hunting STR Style!

Blog Entries

Default Japan Retro Game Hunting STR Style!

So how many of you dream of going to Japan one day and just filling up a suitcase or two with awesome retro gaming goodness? Well I did that this past week and I'll tell you it was an awesome time. I went to Osaka which is a mere two hour flight from Seoul. I went to Den Den town and picked up tons of retro. I focused mainly on Famicom and ended up picking up a boxed RF Famicom and a nice AV Famicom. Games wise for the Famicom I picked up a little over 50 games some of them boxed but most were loose. I didn't just buy Famicom however I found some great deals on Saturn games and I finally picked up an awesome Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Expect some future episodes of Stalking The Retro where we discuss my Japan trip from retro collecting to massive six floor arcades! Here's some photos to tide you over.

fami1.jpgfami2.jpgfami3.jpg

Are there any Famicom collectors here on the Game Gavel forums?

Blog Entries

My SuperJoy3 takes Famicom carts so I'd like to own a few key carts for it.

Also, try Picture Puzzle on the NGPC, it's a great picross game.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Was there much in the way of retro in the actual arcades or was it all more modern stuff?

Blog Entries

There were tons of retro shmups, fighting games, and few classics like Tetris, puzzle bobble and 1943. Other than that most of it was modern including some strange card game video games where you put cards on a touch screen panel to do battle. One of the Taito Stations had a 30th Anniversary Space Invaders which was pretty cool. There were even competitions going on for King of Fighters and Street fighter. The Japanese still love them some fighting games and there was no shortage of those to play.

Diagamblic Guest

How was the language barrier? Did you have a hard time getting deals done?

s1500 Guest

One regret I had when I went to Japan was not hitting "Magic Potato"(I think that's the name) on my day trip to Tokyo's Akihabara area. I still had a blast though. Even the Wii hoarding was fun to watch.

Blog Entries

The language barrier is a problem of course but knowing a few key expressions and simple body language really helps. I had no problems in getting deals. S1500 you are thinking of Super Potato and yes it's a nation wide chain of retro video game shops in Japan. I have to say however that I only bought three items at said shop since they are massively overpriced and I found a couple alternative shops in the same area that were much better for both selection and price. Ah Japan is an awesome place to visit and RGR really needs to do an episode there.