Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: UKMike chases a world record

random_dave Guest

It's been a slow morning, could do with a soldering iron before i can get a stable feed/pics from it though as the wires are a little fine for twist n tape to be strong enough

Blog Entries

Haha. A good idea but it needs more tape.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

I broke the Spectrum Chuckie Egg world record last August, filmed myself doing it and sent my DVD off to the referee who's name I was given. Then Twin Galaxies was bought and my score never made it onto the scoreboard. Now I'd have to pay for the privilege of re-submitting it :-|. I still think I will as it was a lot of time invested before I broke the high score but the whole thing left a bit of a sour taste.

I also have a highest score of 648,860 on Bomb Jack on my MAME machine at home which would be 12th on the Twin Galaxies site although I have a way to go to reach the 50 million top score.
    Proud owner of CGE Adventures

Check out my uTube channel for Spectrum gaming goodness:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWD1...nQ0rpTg/videos

What was your Chuckie Egg score? I love that game, used to be pretty good at it on the Beeb back in the day.

drich255 Guest

UKMike, I thought I was a Tetris Master until I saw the Tetris Documentary (Ecstasy of Order). Thanks for the recommendation. It is still on the free side of Hulu. Those players have unreal reflexes and skills.

I have reached a million points on Tetris DX, but the levels top off at 30 and the speed may not be the same as the NES version. Just looked it up, the record is maxing out the points at 9,999,999 (Harry Hong).

I haven't played the top level of Game B for a while on the original GB Tetris, so I have no idea where my score is at. I am usually just grateful if I manage to clear the 25 lines.

Good luck on your record!
    Last edited by drich255; 08-07-13 at 05:55.

Vipp Guest

UK Mike! are you able to get to level 29 on the NES Tetris? im going to do a Tetris blog on the documentary you are talking about on the latest STR: A Free Hot Karl and i want to see level 29.

Blog Entries

I can't get to level 29, in fact I don't remember where I get to. I'll try this week, but usually I don't do as well on Marathon as on Game B.

I think it's because of the way my enormous brain works.

I like things to be orderly and neat, and that's not always possible in Marathon, so I end up trying to keep the playfield neat rather than just knocking off lines.

I do intend to play some more marathon style though.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.
    Jamesonline.net
    RetroGaming RoundUp
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    What was your Chuckie Egg score? I love that game, used to be pretty good at it on the Beeb back in the day.
    It was about 418K. Since then I have got a lot more than that but not video it. I got something like 550K at Play Expo last year. If I decide to pay the money and get the score recognised then I'll put the video of me doing it up on my youTube Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by saberman View Post
    It was about 418K. Since then I have got a lot more than that but not video it. I got something like 550K at Play Expo last year. If I decide to pay the money and get the score recognised then I'll put the video of me doing it up on my youTube Channel.
    That would be great. I cant remember my high score from back in the day, maybe I will dig it out and give it a go again. How many times through the main set of levels did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by retroshaun View Post
    That would be great. I cant remember my high score from back in the day, maybe I will dig it out and give it a go again. How many times through the main set of levels did you get?
    I got to level 32 when I set the 418K score. That the big bird and double blue birds one you get past there the blue birds go at double speed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast