Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Driver (sit-down arcade game) Score!!!

Default Night Driver (sit-down arcade game) Score!!!

This was mentioned in another thread here but I felt like it deserved it's own thread, in particular because I want to publicly thank RFWarrior for making it happen! Read on...

As the title states, I am now the very proud owner of a sit-down (cockpit, if you will) Atari Night Driver!

This game was on my "must have" list, but I never thought I would come across one. It needs a little TLC, but is otherwise working, and in amazingly good condition, especially given that this is from the late '70s!

Night Driver was always a favorite of mine as a kid. I didn't get a chance to play the arcade version that often, but I played the SHIT out of it on my 2600.

Anyway, this beautiful arcade example was priced at $450. But I offered the seller $325 and he took it. There are even 4 extra board sets with it in case I need spare components in the future. And the fiberglass shell only appears to have one small crack near the bottom on one side. It does need some reassembly, some side art (and the on-screen car art), and maybe some cleaning up on the wiring harness, but none of that is a big deal to me.

Now I haven't actually seen the game in person yet, nor will I for some time. That's because, while I'm in Los Angeles, the Night Driver is in Oregon. And the only reason I knew about it in the first place is that fellow arcade collector, forum member (and Oregon resident) RFWarrior found it on Craigslist there, let me know about it, drove to the seller's place to check it out and complete the transaction, loaded it onto his truck, brought it back to his place, took numerous photos and videos to show me what I just bought, and will graciously store it until I can arrange transport to Los Angeles. Three big cheers for RFWarrior!!!

Night_Driver_03.jpgNight_Driver_02.jpgNight_Driver_01.jpg

For those not familiar with the game, check out the video below (not from me)...

RFWarrior Guest

It was my pleasure Nurmix. I'm really happy we were able to score a must have for you. Would be cool if a couple of those boards could be cobbled together and worked. You know I was thinking, given how simple this machine is, it might be interesting to consider putting a driving mame in there or the FPGA pole position project the guy (can't remember his name) is working on that I saw on KLOV. The cab is so cool and it would be super easy to pop a flat panel in there with a mame and just pop in the steering controller and shifter with a molex. You could keep it all orig and just do this swap to play certain things.

Just noticed there are a couple videos missing, I'll check on that. I did a walk around and also an overview of the boards.

-James

Nice one guys - Nurmix knows I am insanely jealous of this game but I also wanted to give a virtual high five to RFWarrior for being such an awesome help in getting this deal done.

RFWarrior Guest

This is what I was thinking about...

I am the night rider!!!! Damn I love this movie.

BTW - as soon as I figure out why my two other Night Driver videos didn't post, I'll get them up on Youtube. One is a walk around the machine and the other is a look at the 4 extra boards.

Blog Entries

Great find! CGE has one of those and I always spend time playing it each CGE show, awesome to own one!
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    Great find! CGE has one of those and I always spend time playing it each CGE show, awesome to own one!
    Thanks, Scott. I can't wait to get it in the arcade. My kid is gonna love this too. He's about to turn 4, and all he wants to do is sit in either my car, my wife's car, or grandma's car and pretend to drive. He also loves to watch me play Pole Position or Turbo on my MAME cab. Once he sees Night Driver, I won't be able to get him out of the arcade without a fight.

RFWarrior Guest

Ok, FINALLY got the videos ready.

Here is the overview:

RFWarrior Guest

Here are the boards:

RFWarrior Guest

Here are a couple comments / problems:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast