Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Home Arcade and MAME Blog - By Nurmix

Default New Home Arcade and MAME Blog - By Nurmix

I recently set up a blog to document and detail all the work I've put into my home arcade project. The arcade itself is more or less done now, as far as paint, lighting, carpet, electrical, game placement etc. And all 6 of my arcade cabs are up and running as well (knock on wood). You can see some recent pictures in this thread.

The last hold out was my Taito Master Of Weapon (originally a Qix some time in the distant past, way before I ever owned it). The monitor went down late last year, and I removed the chassis. It's been sitting on the "arcade to do list" for quite some time, but last weekend I finally got the parts to rebuild the chassis, and reinstall it in the cab. After a cap kit, HOT and flyback, It works like a champ now!

Anyway, back to the blog. Right now there are only two posts. I decided that I'm going to do a post on each cabinet, and what it took to get it up and running. And with that being said, I started off with Fort Cosmos, which is basically a Japanese ripoff of Cinematronics Star Castle. But that doesn't mean it's not a great game! Read the story and watch the game play video. And feel free to come over and play it whenever you're in the neighborhood.

Arcade and MAME Adventures with Nurmix

RFWarrior Guest

Awesome blog. Fort Cosmos... wow. I can only hope to find a star castle (or ft. cosmos!). I'm up to 7 machines now. I'm sort of done buying for a while unless I can find a couple must haves still on my list. Picked up an asteroids deluxe this weekend and a generic jamma cab I'm going to use for a multiboard. Do you have a list of all your machines on your blog?

Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    Awesome blog. Fort Cosmos... wow. I can only hope to find a star castle (or ft. cosmos!). I'm up to 7 machines now. I'm sort of done buying for a while unless I can find a couple must haves still on my list. Picked up an asteroids deluxe this weekend and a generic jamma cab I'm going to use for a multiboard. Do you have a list of all your machines on your blog?
    Thanks, man. I've just gotten started on the blog, but I certainly have a lot more to say. As for a list, currently I have:

1. Fort Cosmos

2. Satan's Hollow

3. Elevator Action

4. World Series The Season (in a Stern "Cliff Hanger" cabinet, of all things)

5. Master of Weapon (Taito). I acquired it this way. It was originally a Taito Qix, but some arcade operator in the distant past did a quick and dirty JAMMA conversion. Despite that, it's actually a pretty good game. I'm thinking ArcadeSD board or MAME conversion down the road though. And if possible, some day make it a Qix again.

6. This one is tricky. It started life as a Sega Zaxxon, then was converted to a Sega Champion Baseball. They removed the Zaxxon boards, artwork, marquee and joystick, and drilled new holes (not even close to aligned). It didn't work when I got it, but after a lot of work, I got it to fire up. The game was OK, but I decided to turn it into my horizontal MAME cab. I'll have a long post about that project. It's fully functional now. I just need to patch up, sand down and reprint the cabinet, and install some new T-molding, and it's done.

7. I actually had a 7th game (Taito 10-Yard Fight), that was part of my original acquisition, but it had problems, and I needed to keep the wife happy, so I sold it early on.

I should be getting a Rastan soon though. Not sure of its condition, but I can't pass up the deal.

And I also have (on long term loan) RetroShaun's upright Defender - which is currently not working.

RFWarrior Guest

Nice list, I think I mentioned that Rastan I looked at last week. I was a hack, but dang that game is so cool. Elevator action is a score also, love it. Are you going to be at the Portland expo?

Here is where my arcade is sitting right now. I have the Stargate, Assault, Neo Geo w/ 161 multi, Galaga, Asteroids Deluxe. Not in the photo is a basic Jamma cab I'm planning to use for a multi-game and a sit down mama cab that I will probably replace.

546152_10201018955821738_1147239937_n.jpg

Nice list, I think I mentioned that Rastan I looked at last week. I was a hack, but dang that game is so cool. Elevator action is a score also, love it. Are you going to be at the Portland expo?

Here is where my arcade is sitting right now. I have the Stargate, Assault, Neo Geo w/ 161 multi, Galaga, Asteroids Deluxe. Not in the photo is a basic Jamma cab I'm planning to use for a multi-game and a sit down mama cab that I will probably replace.
    Man, you made quick work of amassing a collection! Didn't you just start a few short weeks ago with Startgate?!

In a way, I came into my collection all at once as well (7 games from one guy). I lucked into it after meeting my "arcade benefactor" at CGE 2012 who has quickly become a great friend. I'm going to tell the story on the blog soon. Three of the games were on my want list before I ever thought I'd have a home arcade (Satan's Hollow, Elevator Action, Star Castle), and I've come to really like the other ones I acquired as well.

If you haven't heard it already, listen to episode 35 of Indieseoul's Stalking The Retro where he and I talk at length about my home arcade project.

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showt...stalking+retro

RFWarrior Guest

Ya, I just started a little while back. I think I might have a DK Jr. added by the end of the week. I need to slow down.... When I walk into my "arcade", I still just can't believe I own these games. I never would have thought as a kid that I could actually just OWN these games at some point in my life. Getting older has some privileges!

Ya, I just started a little while back. I think I might have a DK Jr. added by the end of the week. I need to slow down.... When I walk into my "arcade", I still just can't believe I own these games. I never would have thought as a kid that I could actually just OWN these games at some point in my life. Getting older has some privileges!
    So do you have to deal with the "WAF" in acquiring all these games and dedicating a room to them?
    (Wife Acceptance Factor) ;-)

My non-gamer wife has become surprisingly supportive of my efforts, now that she's seen how I put the whole arcade together, and how all of her friends love coming over to play.

RFWarrior Guest

The WAF factor is low, she's cool. Every new arcade = a new chicken or some other crazy thing for her. We have 4 kids and they love the arcade too. The biggest issue is that we both hate tons of clutter and these old machines, as you know, require that I keep parts and my electronics stuff around. I'm in the garage now and my other passion is motorcycles - I have 3 in there too, so it's starting to get packed. This summer I'm planning to get heat out there and get some nice arcade carpet and nice walls, etc.

Here is the DK Jr. I scored today. photo.jpg

Guy said he might be able to get me a Tron from a guy he knows. I'm excited about that, but it won't be cheap.

Blog Entries

Obvious to say this, but you can store virtually all parts and tools inside the cabs themselves.

What bikes do you have? Pics!
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

RFWarrior Guest

Here is my old Ducati, 1974 single 450cc. My folks had Ducati's growing up, and my dad bought this one and passed it along to me. In college it was my primary mode of transportation. I also have a little commuter bike 2008 Ninja 2008 and a dirt bike.ducati2.jpg

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast