Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: New Home Arcade and MAME Blog - By Nurmix

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    The WAF factor is low, she's cool. Every new arcade = a new chicken or some other crazy thing for her. We have 4 kids and they love the arcade too. The biggest issue is that we both hate tons of clutter and these old machines, as you know, require that I keep parts and my electronics stuff around. I'm in the garage now and my other passion is motorcycles - I have 3 in there too, so it's starting to get packed. This summer I'm planning to get heat out there and get some nice arcade carpet and nice walls, etc.

    Here is the DK Jr. I scored today. Attachment 1021

    Guy said he might be able to get me a Tron from a guy he knows. I'm excited about that, but it won't be cheap.
    I basically took over almost half of the garage. My wife and I don't have/like a lot of clutter either, so we got rid of some things and arranged what we kept in a way that works for her (and me).

    Fortunately I don't need to worry about heat or AC in Southern California!

    Nice DK Jr! Good luck with the possible TRON acquisition. I've got a line on one myself - no deal yet, and it's non-working, but hopefully I can make it happen.

  2. #12
    RFWarrior Guest

    Default

    I think I'm going to move the arcade to our basement (full finished basement) after thinking about the humidity changes in the garage causing condensation / corrosion on the boards. Portland doesn't get super hot / cold, but it's probably the best thing for the games. I have an email out to some local movers to help, I don't want to mess up my back. I'm up to 8 arcades so it won't take too long. Picked up a Battlezone tonight for a friend who will get it in a week or two. It's in great shape. I started this "arcade" with like 3 games I really wanted, not I'm up to about 20 that I want. It's sort of addicting..

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    I think I'm going to move the arcade to our basement (full finished basement) after thinking about the humidity changes in the garage causing condensation / corrosion on the boards. Portland doesn't get super hot / cold, but it's probably the best thing for the games. I have an email out to some local movers to help, I don't want to mess up my back. I'm up to 8 arcades so it won't take too long. Picked up a Battlezone tonight for a friend who will get it in a week or two. It's in great shape. I started this "arcade" with like 3 games I really wanted, not I'm up to about 20 that I want. It's sort of addicting..
    My back hasn't been too happy after all this stuff, but fortunately there weren't any stairs involved at any time.

    Welcome to the addiction RF. Once you start...
    ;-)

  4. #14
    RFWarrior Guest

    Default

    Got the 60-in-1 going on the jamma cab I picked up last weekend, pretty much plug and play. I'm having an issue where the H-size on some of the games is too big, sort of stretches off the screen. I know just about nothing about these old monitors, there is no H-size adjust and the tiny bit of google-ing I did looks as if some ref voltages might be a problem. Something to figure out...

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    Got the 60-in-1 going on the jamma cab I picked up last weekend, pretty much plug and play. I'm having an issue where the H-size on some of the games is too big, sort of stretches off the screen. I know just about nothing about these old monitors, there is no H-size adjust and the tiny bit of google-ing I did looks as if some ref voltages might be a problem. Something to figure out...
    Actually, adjusting the horizontal width coil will do the trick. But this is not a normal POT, but a "wire wrapped" coil that is turned with [preferably] a PLASTIC hex tool. You can get a set of those in multiple sizes at the link below. I have a set, and they are invaluable for getting monitors dialed in.

    http://na.suzohapp.com/tools/92019600.htm


    Also, check out this article and video from Arcade Repair Tips to learn more about the horizontal width coil:

    http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010...al-width-coil/

  6. #16
    RFWarrior Guest

    Default

    Thanks. I messed with the coil this morning (before reading this post, after watching a youtube video) but didn't use a PLASTIC tool, and the housing melted, hex tool got REALLY hot. I'm an idiot... I know.

    I was using a rubber handled channel lock to hold it, so I was safe... not sure what to do at this point. Nothing shorted out or anything, but that little plastic cylinder sort of moved/slumped over and the top is melted. Can't get a hex tool in there anymore, the adjustment is all melted down.

    I should have known better than to mess with the monitor, I know nothing about monitors. I'm always careful with monitors and know about decharging them and everything, I just didn't expect the coil, housed in the plastic, to short on the tool. The monitor is fine, it's still the same as before I messed with it.

    Instead of trying to find a replacement coil, I decided to order a new chassis on ebay for this, it was $27 with shipping. A replacement coil looked to be about $10, so I spent a bit more going with the whole board.

    I can't believe I screwed this up. Oh well, I've been shorting out electronics since I was a kid. You'd think after going to elec. engineering school I would have learned... I'll order the plastic tool kit for future repairs.
    Last edited by RFWarrior; 21-04-13 at 03:15.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    1,538

    Default

    DOH! Well thats the thing about arcade collecting and repair - you make a bunch of mistakes before you get it right most of the time! Put it down to a learning experience

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFWarrior View Post
    Thanks. I messed with the coil this morning (before reading this post, after watching a youtube video) but didn't use a PLASTIC tool, and the housing melted, hex tool got REALLY hot. I'm an idiot... I know..
    Don't beat yourself up too much, RetroShaun is right. It's very easy to make mistakes with all this stuff. I would highly recommend watching the videos from Arcade Repair Tips - and even better, buy a set of their DVDs. Great information there.

    That sounds like an extremely low price for the monitor chassis. Is it rebuilt, re-capped? What type of monitor is it?

    When you pull the old one out - if you haven't already - don't forget that even after you've discharged the monitor at the anode cap/hole (and more than once), make sure you also discharge any large capacitors that are on the chassis too. They can give you a good zap as well!

  9. #19
    RFWarrior Guest

    Default

    It was a WG P447, the ebay ad said untested sold as is, but mentioned that he thought it worked when he pulled it. I figured if it doesn't work then I can swap the coil. It's worth a try.

  10. #20
    RFWarrior Guest

    Default

    Update on my home arcade, I'm up a few machines:
    Donkey Kong JR.
    Mortal Kombat II
    Galaga
    Neo Geo MVS w/161 cart
    Assault
    Asteroids Deluxe
    Stargate
    Gorf (not working)
    KISS Jamma cab w/ 60-in-1
    Battlezone (on loan from a friend)

    Need to acquire (on my must have list):
    Vs. Super Mario Bros.
    Ms. Pacman (dedicated)
    Moon Patrol
    Ghosts n Goblins

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Retro Gaming RoundUp