Thread: Hello everyone

Default Hello everyone

I'm Kevin Collins and I'll be 34 on March 26. Originally from the Bronx, NY and and now live in a suburb of Philly as an Account Manager for a software company.

I've listened to the podcast since 2010, and while I enjoy a lot of the retro games and systems - Uk's segment on adding and managing emulators to a front end (Maximus arcade) has made me appreciate the classics I missed out on. My goal is to have a Mame cab in my basement!

Love the show, and I had a chance to finally play the Family Guy pinball AND meet Scott at Magfest 10. I also got my share of Stetson that weekend.

I hope to be more active in the forum now that I can access the forums from my phone.

I currently own a PS3 (Avid COD fan), modded Wii, Nes, Genesis, dreamcast, ps1, ps2, gba, modded PSP, atari flashback 2, n64, gamecube, xbox, and a ton of emulators on my PC.

Welcome to the forums! I know you've submitted a lot if stories to News, so it's good to see you here too.

Nice collection you've got going. If you need any help setting up a MAME cab let me know.

Thanks everyone! Nurmix, I think I may take you up on that... The thing that confuses me is creating the joystick and buttons to interface with the pc... Especially now, the idea of building a cab is out of the question; we are in the process of selling our house - but the forums will be my first point of reference when I start!

Cool, Another listener in my neck of the woods! I'm about 45 to an hour outside of Philly. Hey, Let me know if you need any help with the control set up for your MAME. An iPac and some joysticks / buttons is a very easy solution.

Quote Originally Posted by itsreallykevin View Post
    .. The thing that confuses me is creating the joystick and buttons to interface with the pc...
    The buttons and joystick(s) are pretty straightforward to wire; 2 wires each button, 4 wires each joystick (with a few exceptions). One of the wires is a common ground shared by all the buttons and joystick(s).

They interface with the PC using something like the I-PAC, Mini-PAC, or J-PAC boards. Wires from the control panel attach to one side, USB or PS2 connector / cable attaches to the PC on the other.

For the most part, MAME will automatically work with joysticks and at least 3-4 buttons when connected to any of these interface boards. Any additional items and you can always map buttons to specific things on a per-game or universally for all games in MAME.

And if you choose to use a front end on top of MAME (I recommend it - I'm currently using Maximus Arcade), you can map button functions to that as well, for game select, credits, game start, game quit, etc.

I'd be happy to go over all of this with you some time if you want. In addition, I've been documenting my current home arcade / game room project (which includes a "from the ground-up" MAME cab build) and plan to put it all in a blog in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by RUP View Post
    Cool, Another listener in my neck of the woods! I'm about 45 to an hour outside of Philly. Hey, Let me know if you need any help with the control set up for your MAME. An iPac and some joysticks / buttons is a very easy solution.
    Cool, thanks for the suggestion - I think that was covered in an earlier podcast (using an ipac and joystick), but I really want to have a full sized arcade cab with the games set up properly. Like I said, I'm actually putting this on hold until we get our current house sold, a new house moved in, there's just too much to do right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurmix View Post
    The buttons and joystick(s) are pretty straightforward to wire; 2 wires each button, 4 wires each joystick (with a few exceptions). One of the wires is a common ground shared by all the buttons and joystick(s).

They interface with the PC using something like the I-PAC, Mini-PAC, or J-PAC boards. Wires from the control panel attach to one side, USB or PS2 connector / cable attaches to the PC on the other.

For the most part, MAME will automatically work with joysticks and at least 3-4 buttons when connected to any of these interface boards. Any additional items and you can always map buttons to specific things on a per-game or universally for all games in MAME.

And if you choose to use a front end on top of MAME (I recommend it - I'm currently using Maximus Arcade), you can map button functions to that as well, for game select, credits, game start, game quit, etc.

I'd be happy to go over all of this with you some time if you want. In addition, I've been documenting my current home arcade / game room project (which includes a "from the ground-up" MAME cab build) and plan to put it all in a blog in the not too distant future.
    That is awesome! I've been using Maxiums Arcade as suggested by UK in an earlier podcast, and I did get a PSx to USB adapter to use as my controller, but I really want to have the actual cab, I'd love to see the blog of your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by itsreallykevin View Post
    That is awesome! I've been using Maxiums Arcade as suggested by UK in an earlier podcast, and I did get a PSx to USB adapter to use as my controller, but I really want to have the actual cab, I'd love to see the blog of your progress!
    I did start a thread here a while back about my MAME cab project. I haven't added to it much, although a great deal of progress has been made since the pictures in the thread. It's fully functional now - I just need to fix the cabinet / wood and put on new T-molding. You can check out the thread if you want to see what I started with..

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showt...6723#post36723