Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you consider savestates cheating (emulation)

SWABteam Guest

Default Do you consider savestates cheating (emulation)

So, I just finished beating King's field for the PS1, emulated using epxe. The game is a first person RPG. It is notorious for being difficult, needless to say I used savestates rather than the game's in-game save feature.

For me I don't feel like it cheapened the game for me at all, just saved me time. A younger me would have never have done this, and considered it cheating. Now I find myself using them more as I don't really feel like replaying portions of a game makes it more difficult, it just pads the playtime.

Not that savestates cant be abused, I don't for example save multiple times during boss fights or anything like that. I would love to hear some other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah its cheating, its not as the game 'was meant to be'. Now, does it lessen the experience? Possibly not, depending on the game of course. Then again, I kinda feel like that about constantly adding credits to an arcade game for a continue, just to see it through. Probably with an RPG you still experience the game, maybe with a shooter not so much.

Vipp Guest

I use savestates when im playing a game with the intention of seeing the end. This might sound weak to some of the retro folks here but i had to use savestates to get to the end of altered beast on the sega megadrive (Emulator). I still cant get past level 3 of altered beast to this day but i love the game so i had to use help to get me to the end. It has to be noted that some arcade games would let you access later levels in the menu system once you had reached them during gameplay so savestates have been with us for some time.

Strictly speaking I suppose it is, but then I personally never had an issue with cheating. I play games for the experience, not the challenge. I'll cheat shamelessly on anything. Unless, of course, it's multiplayer. I won't cheat other people, but as far as single player is concerned the game is there to serve you, not the other way around and I don't see anything wrong with cheats. Granted, over-cheating can ruin a game, but if you choose your cheats carefully it allows you to customise the experience.

Blog Entries

If the game is designed above my skill level, which isn't hard. I will use tools like this to get to see the rest of the content.
    Retrogaming Roundup Co-host and host of the Hardware Flashback.

Follow us on Facebook!

Email me with your hardware problems to be answered on the air; techquestions@retrogamingroundup.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruBrat View Post
    If the game is designed above my skill level, which isn't hard. I will use tools like this to get to see the rest of the content.
    Scotty boy, you have no shame.

Vipp Guest

Some games are fun with cheats for example who doesn't love tony hawks pro skater 1 with unlimited manual and grind skill... thats just plain fun!

I am definately a cheater and proud of it !

I just don't have the skill to finish a lot of the games I like, ghosts n goblins, bullet hell shooters, etc. And my skills (reflexes) are getting worse rather than better. I also have much less play time now than I did when I was a kid. Save states are the only way I can see all of the content.

And some games, especially RPGs can have long gaps between save points. Sometimes you have to stop playing and you have to stop playing NOW, so save states are the only way to keep your progress.

For me gaming now, is about having fun, and if save states help make gaming more fun then there is no shame !

Jammajup Guest

I have never really liked any assisted aids in playing games except maybe the odd magazine game map back in the day but i have never liked cheating on games and if the save state feature existed back in the day i would never of used it,today as a full retro gamer i cannot attempt to complete 80`s, and 90`s games without it and the simple reason is TIME,as a child and teen i had time but as an adult.....

I ban them at my retro arcade evenings as I'm a bit of a purist.

Just read that sentence back and realised how gimpy it sounds. Take Two!

Me and my mates don't use them when we're getting smashed and playing old video games cos we're hardcore! We also never play that Barbie game that was released on the Sega Megadrive ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.